Should I keep elastic on while eatting??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jtsang

Should I keep elastic on while eatting??

#1 Post by jtsang »

I read that I speeds up teeth shifting? Anyone know?

catwanabee

Re: Should I keep elastic on while eatting??

#2 Post by catwanabee »

As long as it doesn't snap on you, go for it.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46203
In Ovation-C Braces
Braced on Dec 2013 for 24 Months

TheKT

#3 Post by TheKT »

I try to but sometimes they snap.

jtsang

#4 Post by jtsang »

I have been eating with it on.. lost one this after noon during lunch.. didn't realized it until lunch was almost over... it's gross to know that you swallowed an elastic that has been in your mouth all morning...

djspeece

#5 Post by djspeece »

Advice given by orthos seems to vary by each individual patient, so I would go with whatever your ortho recommends. Mine said they can come out during meals. I don't know that taking them out for meals makes a big difference in the overall plan, but again I depend on my ortho's direction.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Ellabelle

#6 Post by Ellabelle »

My ortho told me to leave mine in, but he told my SO to take his out. I think for us the difference is the configuration. I can open my mouth wider so it's not as big of a deal. And I have also heard it can speed movement to leave them in. Your jaw "learns" to move in this different position. I'm totally used to eating with them. And then wow, do the new ones feel strong once you clean your mouth and put them in!

nightmare56

#7 Post by nightmare56 »

i like to take mine out because they get stretched out while eating which I would think makes them less effective. I put in strong fresh ones afterwards :)
talk to your ortho first.

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

I think it depends on the configuration. Some configurations can be worn while eating, with others it's pointless as it's inevitable they'll come off.

NervousNewbie

#9 Post by NervousNewbie »

I'm with nightmare56. I take mine out because I want to put in fresh ones after I eat since they'll be stretched out after eating, plus it's a good way to remind myself to change my bands.

Braced September 23, 2010
Debraced February 20, 2014
Estimated Treatment Time: 24 months
Actual Treatment Time: 41 months

My Journey

Lorianne

#10 Post by Lorianne »

I have to leave mine on 24/7. I leave them in while eating as much as possible. If I'm trying to eat something wide, like a burger or a sandwich, then i might take them out otherwise I can't fit the food in my mouth!