Smilehope's story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jem

Re: Smilehope's story

#106 Post by jem »

Hi Smilehope,

From what other people have said on this board, all the drama takes place in the first 12 months, and, as you say, the succeeding months are the paint-drying period. But no doubt they are equally important months so hang on in there!

I never expected to go into a second year, but I will be at 14 months in a couple of days. I have an appointment on 11 March and hopefully we will establish what needs to be done to get me finished.

All the best,

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

smilehope

#107 Post by smilehope »

One year today. I'm so so glad I'm doing this!
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

jem

#108 Post by jem »

Smilehope,

Congratulations on your 12 months. I think it is a big milestone-all downhill from here!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

smilehope

#109 Post by smilehope »

Thanks, Jem. One year feel significant, and I should be at least half way now. It feels as if the bulk of the work is done, although when I list what needs to be done it still seems like a lot! Close extraction gaps, sort bite, widen upper arch more, further straightening / gap reduction. Maybe I'll still be here this time next year!

smilehope

#110 Post by smilehope »

Had another appointment this week, my 9th I think. I wasn't sure if any movement but he seemed happy. I am now using double "red" elastics across the extraction sites. I also have a powerchain on my lower front 6. The powerchain isn't hurting at all, but my uppers ache today.

I managed to ask the question of how long it might take to finish, and he reckons nearer the 18 rather than the 24 month end of my estimate. It would be fabulous if I was done by Christmas!

smilehope

#111 Post by smilehope »

The double elastics seem to be doing the trick. Although my ortho reckoned on my gaps closing at 1mm per month, they have already moved so I can't get my little finger in the gaps, even sideways. A bit of aching and creaking going on, but manageable.

jem

#112 Post by jem »

Hi Smilehope,

How is it going?

Jem

Nana51

#113 Post by Nana51 »

What an inspiring name, smilehope. That's what we're in it for, right?
Extractions done. Final impressions before braces will be July 2.. And regular cleaning right after. They ortho said it will be 3-4 weeks later before braces begin. Vacation falls between times so maybe I can control my anxiety and excitement.

smilehope

#114 Post by smilehope »

Well, it's been a looooong time since I came here! Feeling a bit lonely as I don't recognise many names on the site from when I started. 22.5 months later and I'm still here. BUT I know my braces are coming off in 35 days time. They're not perfect, I never really thought they would be, by my oh how much better they are than before. I know my midline's wrong, especially the lowers, but I'm not bothered by that at all, nobody will notice. I didn't realise how badly they were stained until I did more photos today, so what I'm looking forward to most when they're off is a good old polish.

My extraction gaps finally closed. Last week he gave me the option of having debonding then, but I think he was quite pleased that I was happy to wait another 6 weeks to do more with the bite. I'm not biting fully on my molars, but a lot lot closer than ever before, and my ortho is confident that they'll settle together with time once my braces are off.

I've got new elastics this time. For the last year I've had some reds on just my upper teeth, closing the gaps - class Is I think. One on the right and 2 on the left. Now I also have blues in a sort of triangle - I suppose you'd call them Class II triangles. He added a little bendy wire loop to my lower 2nd premolars to loop the elastic round. I've had a lot of movement in the last week.

Here are some pics, especially for Jem, who has followed my progress & been very supportive.

My smile now:Image

Arches (look no extraction gaps):Image

Elastics:Image

And for a laugh I'll put in an old photo:Image

Oh, and I did have a bit of shaping / filing done, early December - "I'll give you a Christmas present" the ortho said. He also did a bit of filing between my front incisors, so my black triangle is smaller. There will always be a bit left just because of the shape of my teeth, but it's not too noticeable.

Anna5

#115 Post by Anna5 »

WOW, what an AWESOME transformation!!! Your arch is so much wider and your crossbite has almost gone! You have a beautiful smile now!!!

And you achieved this all with only braces? WOW! That gives me good hope, because I also had a crossbite. I was recommended SARPE but refused. Were you also recommended surgery? In your case, the braces did an astonishing job, congratulations!

smilehope

#116 Post by smilehope »

Thanks, Anna. I never had a crossbite though, just complete overbite. Surgery was never mentioned.

Anna5

#117 Post by Anna5 »

O excuse me, I definitely saw it wrong then. Anyway, your progress is AMAZING!
Good luck with the last weeks of your treatment. I am looking forward to seeing a picture of your naked teeth!

jem

#118 Post by jem »

Looking great, Smilehope- can't wait to see your finished pics!

Jem

c2steph

#119 Post by c2steph »

Wow, that's amazing progress! Congrats!
28yrs old planning to get braces soon.
My journey so far:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46316
Putting my braces on hold: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46364

smilehope

#120 Post by smilehope »

So it's 2 weeks since I had my braces off. Suddenly the 2 years seems like it went by in a flash. I'm really happy with the result. My teeth aren't perfect. I'm a little self-conscious of the black triangle between upper incisors, but everyone says they don't see it. My lower teeth midline remained off. My molars are still coming together - the "settling in" period. I know they need a good clean - I visit my dentist next week. I'll also ask her about whitening. I wouldn't want to go over the top with whitening but a little bit might be nice.

However, what I have got is a set of teeth which don't attract attention. I'm not always aware of my teeth when I meet someone new. I don't get food stuck in my teeth for the first time in my life. I can smile with people and enjoy smiling. I can bite and chew without feeling that I'm wearing out my lower incisors. Brushing my teeth is quick and easy.

I have clear retainers, which I wear for 10 hours a day, i.e. night, and a bit extra if I've been out in the evening. They are comfortable and fine. My next appointment is in June.

Yes the treatment was painful, expensive, and frankly embarassing. Not what I expected in my 40's. Would I do it again? Most definitely yes! :-*