6 month smiles, not going well!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

allymac

6 month smiles, not going well!

#1 Post by allymac »

Hey guys, I'm really new to this (and new to braces!) but I guess I'm looking for a bit of support really.
So I have an overbite from sucking my thumb for 18 years and at 23 I have finally took the plunge and got 6 month smiles. So at first I thought "wow, these are big", but I've got used to the size now.
But the pain... Oh my days it's awful. I have to wear one elastic band each day and wear another two as well at night and every day when I wake up I have terrible aches and pains in my jaw. Each tooth is so sensitive to touch and kills when I put the wax on, which I need because of terrible ulcers inside my lips. And to top it off I have biteguards at the back of each side but only one side is touching resulting in extra pain on one side of my mouth. And its only day 4!
Sorry for moaning so much, I'm usually a very happy, positive person but I'm getting so down with these braces now. Luckily, I quit my job for another reason a few days before my braces or I'd have had to get time off. I'm just sick and tired of not being able to eat, sleep or talk, and I haven't left the house since I got them.
Did anyone else have a similar experience? Any advice? Anyone else going through 6MS?
Thanks in advance,
Ally

kristianpaige

Re: 6 month smiles, not going well!

#2 Post by kristianpaige »

I don't have the same exact kind of braces but I will say the first couple of days were really rough for me as well but I can almost promise you it will get better really soon my pain almost completely disappeared after the first week, and now besides minor cheek irritation barely feel them. I had mine put on November 12th. Good luck, just think of how awesome your teeth will look afterwards! :D

bbsadmin

#3 Post by bbsadmin »

I believe that with Six Month Smiles there is some element of periodontal surgery involved. Did your periodontal ligaments get cut? If so, then you can probably expect to be uncomfortable for at least a week to 10 days until things start to heal.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

m2c

#4 Post by m2c »

Hey I just got Six Month Smiles yesterday and now my teeth feel very tender as if they are gonna fall off. When I wiggle a tooth I can feel a little give, so I'm assuming that the braces are working and the teeth are moving? Right after the braces I could eat a proper breakfast no problem except for food getting stuck in my teeth, no pain or anything. But since that I haven't been able to chew or even bite down for that matter, all my teeth hurt. Is it any better for you?

DaisySmith

#5 Post by DaisySmith »

Allymac I'd love to know how you're doing now. I'm four days in on six month braces and day two was hell. I'm a proper grown up and I cried my eyes out lol. Now you're a couple of months in, how are you doing? Would love to hear about your progess and how you're tolerating the braces?

allymac

#6 Post by allymac »

Hi DaisySmith, if you click on this link I've put a more detailed post if my time in braces! Let me know if you have any questions, I hope you're starting to get used to them now!

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46015

DaisySmith

#7 Post by DaisySmith »

Thanks Allymac. You've made amazing progress. Loved seeing your photos and really enjoyed your blog. I read you have been given an estimated treatment time of nine months, mine is seven or eight months but I am secretly fantasising my dentist will say 'wow your teeth have moved so amazingly quickly you'll be out of those in six months tops!' ( one can dream right?) Haha.

I definitely feel so much better and am looking forward to the bit where I forget I am even wearing them. Did I imagine reading you wrote that lol????

I'll keep following your blog? Thanks again.

c2steph

#8 Post by c2steph »

Wow, I really wish I could do the 6 month smile thing, but I don't think they offer it in my area. : ( I wonder why most dentist don't offer this....

DaisySmith

#9 Post by DaisySmith »

It's not necessarily suitable for everyone c2csteph. The six month smile thing is very cosmetic and works on correcting just the teeth you ser when you smile, not sure what your issues are. But for me, the teeth I see are the only ones that need moving, my bite is fine. Just hoping I'm happy with my result. You might even be better off.

c2steph

#10 Post by c2steph »

Thanks for responding DaisySmith. I understand now. I think I do need work on my bit so I don't think it would be a good option for me.
28yrs old planning to get braces soon.
My journey so far:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46316
Putting my braces on hold: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46364