Wires Changed - Ouch!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bakey

Wires Changed - Ouch!

#1 Post by Bakey »

My orthodontist changed both my wires this morning. She was having trouble with the bottom one and was really tugging, I thought she'd either dislocate my jaw, pull my teeth out or both! She apologised and I know this can happen but I'm in pain now. Back to soft foods for me today and hopefully my teeth will be less painful tomorrow. Seen a lot of progress since September so it will be worth it in the end.

beckyboo0205

Re: Wires Changed - Ouch!

#2 Post by beckyboo0205 »

My first wire change was YOWWWWWWWWW! They have been less painful after that.

Bakey

#3 Post by Bakey »

beckyboo0205 wrote:My first wire change was YOWWWWWWWWW! They have been less painful after that.
My first wire change was ok so I wasn't expecting it to hurt yesterday. Still sore this morning but hopefully it will ease during the day.

mysticgirl916

#4 Post by mysticgirl916 »

I got my first wire change a couple of days ago, they were a little pokey when they were put on but the hygenist trimmed the ends so I'd feel more comfortable. I'm adjusting to the adjustment right now (it hurts a little), nothing that a little ibuprofen can't fix

kathydell

#5 Post by kathydell »

I wish I could tell you it gets better, but it really doesn't. I've found that each adjustment day will bring me a good bit of discomfort later in the day and it will usually last about 48 hours depending on what is done. Just a change of ligs is no big deal. In my case, addition of a power chain, change of wire strength or change of elastics config is always sore for about two days and then it calms right back down again. Taking some Tylenol about an hour before the appointment and then keeping up with the recommended dose the rest of the day helps a lot as does easing back to softer foods for a day or two. The good news is that it's short lived. And, pain = progress.

Bakey

#6 Post by Bakey »

kathydell wrote:I wish I could tell you it gets better, but it really doesn't. I've found that each adjustment day will bring me a good bit of discomfort later in the day and it will usually last about 48 hours depending on what is done. Just a change of ligs is no big deal. In my case, addition of a power chain, change of wire strength or change of elastics config is always sore for about two days and then it calms right back down again. Taking some Tylenol about an hour before the appointment and then keeping up with the recommended dose the rest of the day helps a lot as does easing back to softer foods for a day or two. The good news is that it's short lived. And, pain = progress.
Thanks, I shall be prepared from now on, as my first wire change was completely pain free I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. It's much better now and no pain no gain as they say.

LadyBraceFace

#7 Post by LadyBraceFace »

I got my first adjustments and power chains yesterday and gosh that hurt. Tried sleeping but kept waking up because my jaw would just snap and close hitting my sensitive teeth. My cheeks are sore. Orajel kinda helped for a few minutes only. Tylenol didnt really much at all. I guess the only highlight of that 1st adjusment appointment for me was I saw the gaps closing in as soon as I got home. Other than that, Im miserable.

BraceForIt

#8 Post by BraceForIt »

I had my first adjustment 4 days ago. I had most of the pain and aches on the day of the adjustment, the next day it was fine

Upper: removal of my powerchain, was not replaced however the archwire was replaced with a thicker one
Lower: change of archwire along with the addition of springs

One thing i noticed was about 20 minutes after i left the Orthodontists office, I heard the loudest crack/click followed by a quick jolt of aching pain from one of the lower teeth attached to one of the springs. I was super suprised by this! the springs were straight away to action i guess :lol:
No serious pain from that tooth from then, it was just noticable that moment!

FireFinder

#9 Post by FireFinder »

I got my first set of SureSmile wires on Dec. 9th. They pretty much hurt for 5 straight weeks, albeit in different places.

Got my 2nd set of SureSmile wires on Jan. 13th. They are a stiffer wire, and probably won't get changed for several months, and I hurt in places it didn't previously hurt.

My biggest issue is the lack of a bracket or band on #6 on the upper left. Wire bridges a lengthy gap, and chewing anything on that side makes the wire shift so I get pokey bit on the #6 on upper right (#7 is a gold crown and has no band or bracket).

Seen some significant changes in my bite over the past 3 months, more the last 5 weeks than the first 7 weeks.

Seeing as how treatment #2 straightened my teeth, there isn't much straightening to do, just fix my bite.

The good thing is that my bathroom scale doesn't say Errr! anymore, because I have lost enough weight to be back under its limit. :tingrin:

cs2thecox

#10 Post by cs2thecox »

Strangely my first adjustment where they put wire ligs on my original wire hurt more than my new wire (+ wire and rubber ligs!) this week.
Still slightly tender to bite after 3 days, but I can manage chocolate as long as it hasn't been in the fridge, and that's really all that matters! :lol:

Matilda

#11 Post by Matilda »

I might be the only one but I love feeling the adjustment pain. :shock:

king504

#12 Post by king504 »

I have had my braces for a little over a year, and have not had too many wire changes. However, I just take an aspirin eat something for that day and the pain normally dissipates the next day.

SunshineRay

#13 Post by SunshineRay »

Matilda wrote:I might be the only one but I love feeling the adjustment pain. :shock:
I do too! :lol: I havent had my wire changed yet but the ligs and powerchain gets changed every 4 weeks. I love the tightness feeling after I leave there.

djspeece

#14 Post by djspeece »

Ibuprofen is great for dental pain.
My theory is that for most of us, pain from orthodontia is a relatively new experience, and as a result we are a bit anxious which heightens the pain experience. After a while we become accustomed to the (mostly) temporary discomfort that follows a new wire arch or addition of some new device and recognize it as progress, not a sign of pathology, and can cope better. I have lots of hare-brained theories, of course.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying