i think i am going to eat less:)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Berryxiao

i think i am going to eat less:)

#1 Post by Berryxiao »

i am going to experience this hard job soon. hehe....

Fionisimma

Re: i think i am going to eat less:)

#2 Post by Fionisimma »

Welcome to the world of eating less.... :D I'm finding in my first week that it's not just because of sensitive teeth that I'm eating less - sloppy and/or slippery foods that don't require chewing are definitely narrowing down what's on the menu.... but also the fact that I have to remove all the carefully applied OrthoSil wax (from the hooks that are tearing up the inside of my mouth) each time I eat in order to clean properly afterwards.... It's still taking nearly 30mins to Waterpik/floss/brush after each meal..... I'm always encouraged though, by reading posts from those who are further on the journey.... It's definitely worth it!!!

catwanabee

#3 Post by catwanabee »

That's what I thought too in the beginning yuss losing weight right? But no I realized I barely chew my food now cause it hurts so I just gulp them down and that does not make me feel full so I eat more but less often therefore no weight loss xD So much for that haha

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=46203
In Ovation-C Braces
Braced on Dec 2013 for 24 Months

hukillmommy

#4 Post by hukillmommy »

When does it get better? Just got my braces on today and I don't want to eat anything!

mapleleafman888

#5 Post by mapleleafman888 »

hukillmommy wrote:When does it get better? Just got my braces on today and I don't want to eat anything!
When I first got my braces it was about 6-8 days before I could really eat anything either than real soft foods. Say goodbye to hard foods for the duration of braces though, not just for pain sake but it's easy to break off a bracket and have the wires come loose(happened to me on day 12).

I've lost 8 lbs since having braces, strictly due to reduced meal intake because I hate cleaning the braces all the time!

This shall pass too! Good luck new braceface friends :D
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

WiredOldLady

#6 Post by WiredOldLady »

I HATE eating!!! I mean HATE it...and for a "healthy" girl like me it stinks! I can get all the crud out of my wires in about 5 minutes but I just hate it. I have a wire that goes from a molar across an empty space to the back molar (yay molar bands) and food gets stuck in there when I eat. Its gross...

I don't know if I've managed to lose weight, but pants that I couldn't get into fit now. Lets see if those skirts I bought fit! It doesn't help there's a bunch of other stuff going on and I'm pretty much surviving on coffee and wine right now...
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

fudge911

#7 Post by fudge911 »

I'm actually surprised that I have gained weight during my time with braces (currently at 3.5 months). I was scared that was gonna lose so much weight but eating for me hasn't bean that hard. To be honest though, I have no chewed on any of my sides since I had braces, I have been using my tongue to cut and moosh the stuff and then swallowing it.

Berryxiao

#8 Post by Berryxiao »

wow, your guys have special skill to eat now, even your tongue can cut food. that is cool.

why have braces: two upper lateral teeth had incurable infection
Jan. 8, 2014 - got brackets on
Jan. 9 morning, 2014 - got 5-tooth extraction, including one wisdom teeth
Jan. 9 afternoon, 2014 - got wires on

BraceForIt

#9 Post by BraceForIt »

For the first week or so, i was hesitant to try and eat anything but soft mushy food. Ive been braced for close to 2 months now and im finding im getting more 'Adventurous' with foods. Im still steering clear of nuts and popcorn, i dont use my front teeth to break/chew anything or anything chewy :-*

Eating for me as not been as bad as i thought, just have to be mindful on what your eating and how you chew it :!:

I dont think ive lost weight, maybe gained a bit but no loss :wink:

beckyboo0205

#10 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I say GO FOR IT.

Take it easy for a few days but then push through the pain a little. I forced myself to start biting with my front teeth a few days in... ok really like day 2 I tried biting into a banana and it was too much... but probably day 5 I was doing it. I say don't baby your teeth. That way you can get back to normal a little sooner! I mean, don't go biting into a cucumber or something! It's really hard to bite into a cucumber piece actually... well, with your front teeth. I can't really do it because I feel like I'll break something.

I find eating pretty easy actually... but maybe because I super psyched myself out beforehand! I was so prepared to be on a liquid diet and bought a whole case of Ensure. Well I only drank like 2 of those.

Now that I have powerchains, everyyyyyyything gets so stuck in my teeth though. That's why my waterpik is my beloved!

Berryxiao

#11 Post by Berryxiao »

beckyboo0205 wrote:I say GO FOR IT.

Take it easy for a few days but then push through the pain a little. I forced myself to start biting with my front teeth a few days in... ok really like day 2 I tried biting into a banana and it was too much... but probably day 5 I was doing it. I say don't baby your teeth. That way you can get back to normal a little sooner! I mean, don't go biting into a cucumber or something! It's really hard to bite into a cucumber piece actually... well, with your front teeth. I can't really do it because I feel like I'll break something.

I find eating pretty easy actually... but maybe because I super psyched myself out beforehand! I was so prepared to be on a liquid diet and bought a whole case of Ensure. Well I only drank like 2 of those.

Now that I have powerchains, everyyyyyyything gets so stuck in my teeth though. That's why my waterpik is my beloved!
i have to get a waterpick too.

why have braces: two upper lateral teeth had incurable infection
Jan. 8, 2014 - got brackets on
Jan. 9 morning, 2014 - got 5-tooth extraction, including one wisdom teeth
Jan. 9 afternoon, 2014 - got wires on

SJB1138

#12 Post by SJB1138 »

After about a week and a half I returned to eating normally, I eat just the same. It does take a bit of getting used to but trust me it'll happen quicker than you think, and then you're home free.

kids041

#13 Post by kids041 »

Well at 5 months in- I have lost 13 lbs and have had to give up my favorite snack food... Almonds. I eat just about anything I want- it is just a challenge. Cleaning takes time, and biting anything hard is... well... hard. :(
I used to eat a low carb, high vegetable menu. Now I eat still lowish carb, and not many crunchy veggies. It is so difficult to chew them. My teeth are still sore for biting the hard stuff. I have molar buildups and only 2 teeth touch. Every time I go for an adjustment the pain starts over.
I am happy about the 13 lbs tho. I will NOT complain about that :) I have to look for the positive in all the pain in the butt stuff. I will never be in love with the braces, and I still am not in love with the way my teeth are looking (I am in the "it must get worse before it gets better stage still).
I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I just have a long way to go to get there....
+\+ +\+

mapleleafman888

#14 Post by mapleleafman888 »

kids041 wrote:Well at 5 months in- I have lost 13 lbs and have had to give up my favorite snack food... Almonds. I eat just about anything I want- it is just a challenge. Cleaning takes time, and biting anything hard is... well... hard. :(
I used to eat a low carb, high vegetable menu. Now I eat still lowish carb, and not many crunchy veggies. It is so difficult to chew them. My teeth are still sore for biting the hard stuff. I have molar buildups and only 2 teeth touch. Every time I go for an adjustment the pain starts over.
I am happy about the 13 lbs tho. I will NOT complain about that :) I have to look for the positive in all the pain in the butt stuff. I will never be in love with the braces, and I still am not in love with the way my teeth are looking (I am in the "it must get worse before it gets better stage still).
I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, I just have a long way to go to get there....
+\+ +\+
Kids041, I can identify completely...I have recently come to make a couple solutions for the vege and almond thing though: A good shake blender has been a life saver. I felt like I was starving alive without my veges, fruit and nuts. I buy the chopped almonds and throw them in the shake too. There are some pretty dang good recipes out there that are healthy as well if you prefer to do it that way. Give it a try, you may be amazed at how well carrots or celery can be hidden in a good shake recipe, wouldn't even know they were there.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

kids041

#15 Post by kids041 »

mapleleafman888 wrote: Kids041, I can identify completely...I have recently come to make a couple solutions for the vege and almond thing though: A good shake blender has been a life saver. I felt like I was starving alive without my veges, fruit and nuts. I buy the chopped almonds and throw them in the shake too. There are some pretty dang good recipes out there that are healthy as well if you prefer to do it that way. Give it a try, you may be amazed at how well carrots or celery can be hidden in a good shake recipe, wouldn't even know they were there.
I have a Nina blender- and it does an awesome job of making smoothies... I just have to motivate myself to make the smoothies... :/