Powerchain on top front teeth?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SunshineRay

Powerchain on top front teeth?

#1 Post by SunshineRay »

Have you had one? If so, how long was it on? I got one yesterday and I feel like it has a spotlight on it.....drawing so much attention to it. Just as I was getting semi comfy with the braces and now its like BAM! I feel the pressure, the gap wasnt that big to start with and I can honestly notice a difference already. Just curious on how others treatment went.

jem

Re: Powerchain on top front teeth?

#2 Post by jem »

Hi Sunshine Ray,

I had a powerchain to close a gap ( created by IPR) between my two front teeth. The gap was closed within 48 hours, but I kept the powerchain for the 6 weeks up to my next appointment. That left me with a gap between my right lateral and central when I needed space on the other side, so my ortho then placed a powerchain on both central teeth and my right lateral for the next 6 weeks, which moved the gap over to the left where it was needed to help slot my left lateral back into line. My ortho then put a holding wire ( other people call it " lacing") onto the same 3 teeth to stop any gaps opening up between them. I kept that wire for the next 7 months or so until it disintegrated.

I felt quite strong pressure from each powerchain for the first couple of days, but they were ok after that. They were both clear elastic and virtually invisible and I took care to avoid eating or drinking anything which might stain them, although I did have a curry a couple of days before my ortho appointment and the chain looked gross.

Good luck with your powerchain; it is just another part of the orthodontic process which you will soon get accustomed to.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

nellarmonia

#3 Post by nellarmonia »

What color do you have? I've had a powerchain on my entire top arch for the past 4 months (changed 3 times). It's smoke colored and I think it's more invisible than the smoke ligs. It does stain A LOT easier though. I everything messy with a fork and shove it to the back until the last week before an adjustment.

Good luck with your powerchain! Pressure just means it's working right? :D

JohnsonSon

#4 Post by JohnsonSon »

As my top teeth were pulling out some gaps started to form around my 6/7's and my first molars.

So for the past 3-4 months or so, I don't remember exactly, I've had powerchains on top. I don't feel it all. I do notice my teeth getting tighter when I floss though, so maybe it will come off soon, who knows.

TMJJill

#5 Post by TMJJill »

I'd say that the length of time in powerchains really does vary from person to person.

I had them through much of my treatment. After those early days when there is a ton of movement with them, they do get much more comfortable.

I wasn't actually given a choice of color for my first series of chains. They just automatically gave me clear. The clear does get a bet discolored over time, but it was never too bad. I actually wanted to have fun with my chains. I had to ask for colors. I loved the navy ones. For me, pink not so much.

I can't remember exactly, but I think my top power chains were about 11 months of my treatment... on and off. The bottoms were just for a few months.

The thing I most disliked about the powerchains was the flossing. Flossing with the braces is tough enough. Working around the powerchains was just a pain.

Hang in there. :-1 The pain will get better. Try to have fun with the chains. You notice them much more than anyone else, just keep that in mind.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

fudge911

#6 Post by fudge911 »

Currently have two powerchains on each arch to close my extraction gaps. I've only had them on for about 2 weeks and already I see a massive improvement in the closure of the gaps, especially the top arch. It's incredible. The first couple of days were a pain, literally, but as of now, they haven't been much of an issue.