First Orthodontic visit coming up...nervous!

Introduce yourself, say a few words, show us your website, etc. Include detailed personal information at your own risk. This board takes no responsibility for contact that results from you posting your personal information. Fetish postings, and detailed information regarding readers under age 18 will be removed promptly.

Moderator: bbsadmin

librarianlk

First Orthodontic visit coming up...nervous!

#1 Post by librarianlk »

Hi, I'm 53 years old, and while I never had perfectly straight teeth, it's been in the last 15 years that my teeth have really gotten crooked. I have big gaps in some places and crowding on others. I have my consultation on January 8. I'm really nervous, since I've been doing a lot of research online, and then I obsessively check my teeth in the mirror, imagining all the things that are wrong and what it will take to fix them. I never realized how many adults out there are dealing with braces, and this website has been so informative. About a year ago, I had a consultation on Invisalign, and after doing research, I just don't think they're for me. I know myself well enough to know that "patient compliance" is going to be an issue. I'd probably stick with it for a few months, and then stop wearing them. With brackets, not much chance I'll remove them! Really appreciating all the sharing on this forum, I'm learning a lot and yes, I'm nervous, but not as much as if I didn't have everyone's stories to read.

Nana51

Re: First Orthodontic visit coming up...nervous!

#2 Post by Nana51 »

Welcome, librarian. :)
This forum is a great place for encouragement and support. Without it, I probably wouldn't have made the decision to move forward and take the plunge. I am now 52 but notice there are even more "experienced" folks on here with braces. I'm about five months into a three-year plan.
If I can do it, you can do it!
Good luck. Will be watching for updates.
Merry Christmas!

harry

#3 Post by harry »

Hey Librarian..Yes..your first ortho appt is a bit of an experience...I remember mine and being told that braces would be the best idea.The decision is all up to you.I have had mine for about 3 months now and yes...they do feel a bit strange at first,but I am happy I did it.....

oldguy

#4 Post by oldguy »

Old Guy here...........

I wish I got braces at 53, every year you wait makes it harder to align

your teeth properly, think Red Wood Trees. Due to my alignment, I was

breaking chunks of my lower teeth and wearing them down. I'm in my

60's and have had metal Damon top and bottom for a year and a half

No negative comments, my kids think it's fun, Just go for it...sooner the better.

LeeAnnD

#5 Post by LeeAnnD »

I felt the same way! My teeth were once all pretty and as I got older...not so much. I am very paranoid about my teeth so to the ortho I went and here I am, day 2 into braces at age 49!

Fionisimma

#6 Post by Fionisimma »

Wishing you the very best... making the decision certainly isn't easy but the posts on this site give us encouragement and hope :)