Braces at 54

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

GypsyCruiser

Braces at 54

#1 Post by GypsyCruiser »

Hi,
Well......I finally got my braces yesterday.

Getting the braces on was not too bad.....its the fake tooth he had to bond to my teeth that was awful. I am getting three implants after my stint with the braces but since one tooth is right in front he bonded it to the my teeth. And it has been me nothing but pain.

How do you floss your molars? I tried and tried and gave up. DH says its only the first day and I wilk get the hang of it eventually but I don't want to wait. I do waterpik every day too so that is helpful but how do I get those molars? So worried about plaque and cavities.

Woke up this morning in pain. My mouth ached like one huge tooth ache. Taking Motrin but it only lasts so long. I keep biting my lip too. Already went back to work on the fake tooth again but apparently my teeth are already shifting around, so what I am experiecning is normal.

Grin and bear my MIL always says.

But I am so happy....one day down.....23 more months to go.

csosborne88

Re: Braces at 54

#2 Post by csosborne88 »

Hello and welcome!!

I also find flossing molars hard. Have you tried using the pick style flossers (like Plackers OrthoPick)? I find them a lot easier to get the job done, though the tension of the floss is lost after the first attempt I find.

Dana6

#3 Post by Dana6 »

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I'm going to be right there with you in 5 more days! Braces at 49. I' m really worried that once they're on I'm going to secnd guess my decision. I just wish Tuesday would hurry up and get here so I could quit worrying about it. Are you happy with your braces so far? I mean other than the pain obviously!! :D

Matilda

#4 Post by Matilda »

GypsyCruiser wrote:How do you floss your molars?
How about interdental brushes?

Lorianne

#5 Post by Lorianne »

Congrats and hang in there! As you've heard many times before, it will get easier. Flossing was very slow first few days, then each day it got quicker and quicker. I can whiz thru it now! I user SuperFloss. I tried Glide but I feel like it's too, well, slippery. Those Plackers things, forget it. They didn't work for me at all. the little picks and brushes are super-great though.

GypsyCruiser

#6 Post by GypsyCruiser »

Hi,
I am getting much better with flossing my molars. It just took time to get used to it.

My first adjustment isn't until mid February but I went in today to have them fix a wire that was jabbing my cheek something awful. I also changed the color of my ligatures. Went with smoke color but DH and I can't tell the difference. The color is so clear. Next time I think I will try the light blue or lavender.

Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays. We sure did....we got a rescue puppy. He is a little turbo....we already have two terriers and this cutie is a Maltese....only three legs but he doesn't know it.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

Fionisimma

#7 Post by Fionisimma »

Hi there... It's day 2 @ 50yrs old in braces for me... and I'm struggling with the flossing issue too.... I'm just going to keep persevering - plackers/threaders/floss fish - heck something has to make it easier and quicker..... Until then, allowing plenty of extra time @ bedtime... :)

Ciara

#8 Post by Ciara »

Hi! Welcome to the boards. I got braces last year at 43. Flossing is troublesome but you will get the hang of it. I use "sturdy floss" which has a plastic tip making it easier to get under the wire. Have you got a Waterpik? This has been my life saver! It has really helped, specially at the beginning, to help keep between my teeth and around the brackets clean.
It really does get better - wax any spots at are hurting, be kind to yourself and hang in there!

Good luck

SunshineRay

#9 Post by SunshineRay »

I use the flossers for braces. I dont remember the brand but I get them at walmart. I actually prefer them over my waterpik.

Fionisimma

#10 Post by Fionisimma »

Flossing is definitely proving to be a challenge - only on day 2 in braces and after repeated unsuccesful attempts with threaders/plackers/floss fish I just reverted to using some of my husband's Gum soft picks to get the job done... I will resume "mastering" the other methods later today.... :)

GypsyCruiser

#11 Post by GypsyCruiser »

I love my waterpik!! I use it after every meal just to 'rinse' my mouth. I cannot believe how much food particles get stuck in the braces and the waterpik washes it all out of my mouth.....love it.

I floss too.....I use the one with the stiff plastic end too. Its like sewing it through my teeth but it works best for me.

Fionisimma

#12 Post by Fionisimma »

Thanks GypsyCruiser and Ciara for the recommendations... I love my travel Waterpik but know that somehow/someway I have to master flossing with braces... Some of my brackets (since I just got them put on yesterday) are really close together/at odd angles making access very hard until my teeth start moving... I will get some of that sturdy floss with the plastic tip tomorrow... :)

Ciara

#13 Post by Ciara »

Fionisimma wrote:Thanks GypsyCruiser and Ciara for the recommendations... I love my travel Waterpik but know that somehow/someway I have to master flossing with braces... Some of my brackets (since I just got them put on yesterday) are really close together/at odd angles making access very hard until my teeth start moving... I will get some of that sturdy floss with the plastic tip tomorrow... :)
I have problems with some brackets very close together too. My ortho suggested I just use the waterpik until they started moving but I got pretty good with the dental floss rather quickly. I have to bend the plastic tip of the floss for my top teeth making it easier to catch, specially for my molars. I still have 2 brackets very close...my lower premolar and 1st molar. The premolar is rotated (was also tipped inwards but is straight now) and is slowly rotating back to the correct position. It is becoming a bit easier to floss between these 2 brackets now.

xanidu2012

#14 Post by xanidu2012 »

Congrats on your journey. Had my braces on at 49. Just came off today. I attacked my molar floss problem by using floss threaders. Once I got floss in between it didn't cause me a problem. Also used Waterpik. Good luck. My present for braces off was also a rescue puppy. A long haired German shepherd named Boomer 5 months old :D. Keep updating.

BraydenDendy

#15 Post by BraydenDendy »

Oh that's great. I have seen people shying away from having braces saying that they are too old for it. You stand different from them. And I must say it takes a lot of courage and will power to take such a decision at this age. Why didn't you try those 6 months braces. I have heard that they work fine too. My friend has put that at Dr. Silberman's Clinic and is on her 4th month. It can be removed at the end of 6 months. But then you sure sound like a tough lady, 3 implants and a brace is not an easy job. So how is the feeling, every one who has braces agrees unanimously on the fact that the hardest part is having food. Is it the same for you. And also that there are chances of lips getting bruised in the first couple of months till you get used to the braces. Any problem like that?
I hope you won't have much trouble, take care...
P.S Well don to @Dana6 too for getting braces at 49...