anyone tried an acceledent?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

modogg

anyone tried an acceledent?

#1 Post by modogg »

I just went to my initial consult today and one of the options was a device called an Acceledent, that you use for 20min a day, and they claim it reduces treatment time 40-50%. I guess it's fairly new.

But it's a $1400 option, so a little spend.

modogg

Re: anyone used an acceledent?

#2 Post by modogg »

Here's a link to it: http://acceledent.com

Almost sounds too good to be true. Just saw a used one on ebay for $700. Not bad if you can get some $ back at the end.

catwanabee

#3 Post by catwanabee »

I just found out about this today, I'm interested in testimonials too =]

modogg

#4 Post by modogg »

The weird thing is I can't find any great testimonials online that look real, and show results. And most of the videos that the company has online are obvious commercials meant to look like real news reports.

If they do actually work, it seems to me the ortho's would want to help pay for them since it would get you out of their office in half the time, and make them look better too.

I would be all over it if they really do work.

arciedee

#5 Post by arciedee »

I don't have any personal experience, but I think there is a user here who is using Acceledent (search over in the braces stories section?). From what I recall of her story it was working out quite well.

fosterp

#6 Post by fosterp »

I only briefly looked at the clinical trials but one thing that stuck out at me that should make you skeptical:

None of the studies actually evaluated the change in total treatment time from bonding to debonding.

The studies limited their quantitative evaluations to only the "tooth movement" portion which did result in an increased rate of tooth movement. For example, one study only measured the amount of time from bonding to extraction closure in a set of extraction patients.

The speed that your teeth move is only one of many factors in orthodontics. Granted, the measurements they did are the ones that are going to most effectively demonstrate whether or not the appliance does what it purports to do (increase the rate that teeth move), and such a study is sort of necessary in order to limit the effect of other factors in treatment time (patient compliance, doctor competency, etc). But to extrapolate those findings and conclude that a 50% increase in tooth movement rate leads to 50% reduced treatment time - is stretching the truth and they don't have any real hard evidence to back up that claim.

If the device was really proven to decrease treatment time, orthos would be subsidizing the cost to patients because it is also saving them money in the long run.

Lexana

#7 Post by Lexana »

I actually bought a second-hand Acceledent, and have had great results. I have ceramics on the top, metal on the bottom, and have about 2 months left of my treatment. My treatment was originally quotes around 18-24 months, and I will have my braces off by (approx.) April, which will be the 12 month mark. I have been extremely impressed by the results, and am really glad I purchased the Acceledent. I actually stopped using it for the last leg of the treatment because I am so close to finishing and kept forgetting to do it in the morning. I've honestly been really impressed with it, and am stoked to be done so early. At first I was a bit hesitant, so I decided to buy a second-hand one (from someone selling theirs), so the cost was less/less of a risk. Def. worth it, imo. If anyone is interested in mine, let me know!

mary12345

#8 Post by mary12345 »

[quote="Lexana"]I actually bought a second-hand Acceledent, and have had great results. I have ceramics on the top, metal on the bottom, and have about 2 months left of my treatment. My treatment was originally quotes around 18-24 months, and I will have my braces off by (approx.) April, which will be the 12 month mark. I have been extremely impressed by the results, and am really glad I purchased the Acceledent. I actually stopped using it for the last leg of the treatment because I am so close to finishing and kept forgetting to do it in the morning. I've honestly been really impressed with it, and am stoked to be done so early. At first I was a bit hesitant, so I decided to buy a second-hand one (from someone selling theirs), so the cost was less/less of a risk. Def. worth it, imo. If anyone is interested in mine, let me know![/quote]

Do you still have your acceledent? I am interested.

TheKT

#9 Post by TheKT »

Was your ortho comfortable w you using it or did you keep it under wraps?

benstead

#10 Post by benstead »

"Lexana" Do you still have your acceledent? I'd be interested in it I think.

Ben

djspeece

#11 Post by djspeece »

I asked my ortho about this, and he smiled and said that it really wasn't a new idea and that a sales rep had been wanting to discuss it with him. He wasn't very enthusiastic, but did not reject it out of hand. He didn't go into much detail though.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Bontzrf

#12 Post by Bontzrf »

I used Acceledent for the last 3 months (it would have been 6 months without Acceledent) of my treatment and I was extremely pleased with the results. If anyone is interested in purchasing my 3 month old unit, I would be willing to sell it for $600, which is half what I paid for it. Thanks.

ginita

#13 Post by ginita »

Bontzrf, I am interested. Need mouthpiece small open bite, do you have?

Sahara5107

#14 Post by Sahara5107 »

Bontzrf, I WILL BUY your Acceledent!! :-) please eamil me at: sahar5107@gmail.com
Thank you :-)

Sahara5107

#15 Post by Sahara5107 »

sorry for the typo Bontzrf, email is: sahara5107@gmail.com
please email me to coordinate a sale :-) thanks much!!