How aware are you of your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

How aware are you of your braces?

#1 Post by Anna5 »

Just a question: how aware are you of your braces? Are you constantly aware that you are wearing them (or thinking about them) of do you just often forget?

I have been in braces for 8 months now, and I am still almost always aware that I am wearing them. I wish I could forget about them a bit more often!

WiredOldLady

Re: How aware are you of your braces?

#2 Post by WiredOldLady »

Constantly aware of them...if its not because I can't close my mouth all the way, it's because of the little hooks jabbing in my cheeks or its because I've eaten and there's food stuck in all the wires.

Looking forward to my freedom date of January 2015.
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

LawStudentBraceFace

#3 Post by LawStudentBraceFace »

Super aware of them as well. Now more than ever because when I got my bands on my molars, my orthodontist used a kind of band with a lingual sheath. It's kind of like a hook on the inner part of my molar. Currently I have four of these in and they poke at my tongue all of the time.

Drives me mad. I can't use my tongue at all anymore to dislodge food because I get poked and scratched every single time. Eating sure isn't what it used to be!

Matilda

#4 Post by Matilda »

I'm very aware of my braces.

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

Always aware at 5 months.

mapleleafman888

#6 Post by mapleleafman888 »

2.5 months in, I'm quite aware...there's only so much time to forget about them...eating 4-6 meals a day allows for about 3 hours in between each meal to forget. All the social events and people staring at the braces when I talk, family members saying 'oh right you can't eat that because of your braces,' or 'hows your mouth feeling today?' keeps me quite aware of them. And then there's the kissing part which is painful sometimes! Hah, and then there's keeping track of ortho appointments. :? :crazy: :)
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

prairiehouse

#7 Post by prairiehouse »

I'm generally only aware when I make large smile. Otherwise you could say that I'm fortunate that when talking or even smiling just a bit my metal braces aren't noticeable.

It makes me a tiny bit self conscious, but not much. I might cut the duration of my smile a bit, but I try not to. I don't want to get into the habit of not smiling. Smiling makes me happy!

I was pretty self conscious for the first 20 minutes after getting them in, but after that not at all.

They're just braces, really. I don't understand why you'd be self conscious, even if you were older. What's there to be embarrassed about?

chichi

#8 Post by chichi »

I'm only aware when I smile and when I'm brushing/flossing. Otherwise, I eat what I want and I speak just fine :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

JeniK

#9 Post by JeniK »

I think the only time I don't think about it...is when I am sleeping!! Other than that....I am always aware. 3 1/2 months already.

Lorianne

#10 Post by Lorianne »

About 6 weeks in and, so far, pretty much aware most of the time. Once in a rare while, I'll forget for a few mins. That's kinda nice. Otherwise, my tongue is always feeling up the brackets, or like lawstudent, getting poked by the inner side of the molar bands (why EVER do they use those kind, ugh!). When your tongue or cheeks are hurting, it's hard to forget the foreign stuff in the mouth. oh well. All for a good cause!

kids041

#11 Post by kids041 »

Almost 4 months in and I am always aware of them! :?

Norrie

#12 Post by Norrie »

Always aware of them, though not self-conscious about them at all. They're lingual, so you can't see them, but man, I can sure feel them. I'm only two months in to a 24 month treatment plan, but my guess is that I'll be aware of them until the day that they come off.

Faithsdaisy421

#13 Post by Faithsdaisy421 »

I seem to always be aware of them. So glad I am not the only one!

xanidu2012

#14 Post by xanidu2012 »

I've been aware my entire braceface journey :D. The kicker is going to be when they come off :D

Anna5

#15 Post by Anna5 »

I am happy to hear that I am not the only one who is always aware of them!