Ceramic braces on top, metal on bottom. Is this the norm?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dana6

Ceramic braces on top, metal on bottom. Is this the norm?

#1 Post by Dana6 »

I saw the ortho today to get images taken and was given an estimate of 20 months to be in braces. I'm 49, and am not exactly thrilled to do this, but my crooked teeth really bother me. Ortho said they were moderately crowded on top and moderate to severe on bottom. I'm choosing to go with the ceramic braces and the kind he uses do not have rubber bands. But, I found out that he will only use metal on the bottom due to the possibility of the bracket breaking too easily? I don't really have an overbite. He said 30% but I think a certain amount of overbite is normal. So, my question is, is this pretty much standard procedure? I was hoping for all ceramic just to make it as least noticeable as possible.

Also, I posted earlier about hoping to widen my arch. He did say it will appear a little wider as they can angle the teeth out a bit, but obviously it's not going to be as good as if I had a pallet spreader.

I'm Nervous! I hope I don't regret this decision as soon as they're on. I'm just not wanting to spend my last year in my 40s in braces!

thisgal201

Re: Ceramic braces on top, metal on bottom. Is this the norm

#2 Post by thisgal201 »

I had ceramic on top and bottom, but I have heard of others only having ceramic on top :) Nobody likes to think about being in braces but it will be so worth it in the end! Congrats on preparing to take the journey :mrgreen:
[/url]

mapleleafman888

#3 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Yeah it's pretty normal...my ortho said ceramics on the bottom would break easier as well---I didn't ask why but could be something to do with smaller teeth needing smaller brackets = not as strong(just a guess). Both me and my gf's sister have ceramic top and metal on the bottom, mine are self-ligating, hers are traditionals with ligatures so I guess the type doesn't matter really.

Congrats on making the braces plunge!
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

WiredOldLady

#4 Post by WiredOldLady »

I have ceramic on top and metal on the bottom. I have an overbite and the metal on the bottom was strongly suggested to me because of it. It doesn't bother me at all because when I talk you can't really see my bottom teeth at all.

Tomorrow is my next adjustment...Thanksgiving is going to be REALLY interesting...
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

BraceForIt

#5 Post by BraceForIt »

I believe it to be quite a common choice amongst us Bracers. I have full metal upper and lower, i was given the choice if i wanted to go with ceramic for the upper but decided for the full metal option

chichi

#6 Post by chichi »

I'm another one with ceramic on top and metal on bottom. Seems normal :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

JumpTheDitch

#7 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I've had both - I had metal upper & lower the first time (as an adult), & have ceramic upper & metal lower this time. I definitely felt like all metal was in the minority on AW the first time. Obviously heaps of people have all metal, it just seemed like 4 out of every 5 members had the ceramic/metal combo.

Whatever works, here's hoping the time in whatever kind of braces goes fast!

msw

#8 Post by msw »

I too have the clear/metal combo. :tingrin:

ljms

#9 Post by ljms »

The ceramic/metal combination seems very common. That's what I'll have when I get my bottom braces in February.

I vaguely remember my ortho saying, during our consult, that he never uses ceramic on the bottom, regardless of the bite.

MrsCharisma

#10 Post by MrsCharisma »

My ortho also does not put ceramic on lowers...no matter what. I think lots of adults choose ceramic uppers and metal lowers (I did too) wanting the "clear" look. But the truth is, as you get going, and those wires get larger and you become acquainted with them...you really don't mind as much. Well at least that seems to be the general sentiment.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Dana6

#11 Post by Dana6 »

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. I'm starting to feel less nervous! I know I will be really happy when they are on and I start to see results!! I will keep you all posted. :D

drgnchsr36

#12 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I had the same. I couldn't get ceramic on the bottom since my ortho stated they're more brittle.. I had a deep bite, so there was more of a chance of the bottom brackets coming off with my bite. I was happy with the top ceramics though. Not a lot of ppl. noticed my braces unless they were up close.

KevalP

#13 Post by KevalP »

Yes most people get this

Pacha05

#14 Post by Pacha05 »

I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. I wanted both ceramic but because of my overbite my ortho said I should have metal lowers.

You can hardly see the metal lowers. I chose metal coloured ligatures too so they are less noticeable than a bright colour.

Link to my blog http://pachabrace.blogspot.com

Estimated sentence 24 months

kathydell

#15 Post by kathydell »

I got top & bottom ceramics, however my ortho recommended ceramic top and mental bottom. The reason is that if your top teeth will hit the bottom brackets, there is a higher likelihood that your top teeth could crack if they smash down on the ceramic bottom brackets. I'm one of the few people whose bottom braces are very visible when speaking and I do a lot of public speaking for work. The solution was little cushions on the top part of the bottom brackets. If I agreed to where them, the ortho agreed to do full ceramics. The cushions don't cause me any issues at all. They do discolor faster than the ligs so I asked for extras and I just change them out myself with a much greater frequency than she changes my ligs.