teeth and anxiety

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Anna5

teeth and anxiety

#1 Post by Anna5 »

It is not the first time I started a topic like this, but I am sad to share with you that I still suffer a lot from (social) anxiety because of my bad teeth. I still feel ashamed of my teeth, despite the progress I have undoubtedly made. I still feel ashamed of my open bite, my crossbite, my narrow jaw, the very prolonged thumbsucking which caused this all. I have had counselling for over a year now and this helps a bit, although not very much.
I am still on anxiety medicications (lorazepam).I think about my teeth/jaw almost all the time, it is always with me. I think I may have BDD, and I don't know how to get out of this. Should I get jaw surgery or just wait what improvement the braces will bring? The thought of possible jaw surgery, especially SARPE, scares me very, very much and every time I think of this possibilty I need to take an anxiety pill to calm me down at bit. . Why can't I be just happy with myself and accept my outward imperfections? That would make my life so much easier. The obsession is so bad that it takes almost all the joy out of my life.
The people around me don't understand me. They say that my teeth are fine, but this cannot reassure me. My teeth are defnitely not fine, at least to me.....

Anyone who can relate to this? Or who has a simple word of advise or encouragement? Or can perhaps say a prayer for me?

Thank you very much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lalaloo

Re: teeth and anxiety

#2 Post by Lalaloo »

Anna... I wish I had your teeth...

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

While I'm sure your orthodontist can see something that needs fixing functionally, cosmetically, your smile looks just fine to me. Seriously, it would never occur to a casual observer you need braces at all. On closer study, you can see that the upper midline is off, but that's only if somebody is looking for it, and few people, other than us brace-obsessed people (and dentists) ever look specifically at midlines.

(A crossbite due to a too-narrow palate does indeed cause functional problems, but since all the "crossing" takes place at the rear of the bite, it's not actually visible to a mere mortal.)

I will mention that of the orthognathic surgeries, SARPE is not particularly traumatic. Unlike a full LeFort I, your arch doesn't get fully connected from your skull, so the recovery is faster and easier. (SARPE is usually outpatient, a LeFort I usually inpatient.) I think the reported pain levels in studies aren't any higher than wisdom tooth removal.

JillD

#4 Post by JillD »

I am sorry to be so blunt. I don't think your issue is your teeth. If it were not your teeth, you would find something else to be unhappy with and obsessed about.

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

Anna, you are going to drive yourself crazy! I have told you before and after seeing this pic I mean it 100 times more.....your teeth will be fine without surgery. YOU need to be ok with that. Your teeth actually look perfect in that pic. I struggle with anxiety too so I understand but just keep talking positive to yourself.

starfish88

#6 Post by starfish88 »

Your teeth are great! I honestly don't think you need SARPE! I have anxiety too and had BDD in the past which still flares up occasionally. Stick with the counselling it will get better. Also if you can't see how great your teeth are now I would worry you would still be unhappy after surgery or just find something else you don't like because that's the nature of anxiety. If all the people here think your teeth are great then they must be right!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

Plumcore

#7 Post by Plumcore »

The only thing i see is the off midline, but let me ask you something..Since the beginning of his stardom, have you EVER noticed Tom Cruise had a very crooked midline? Because i sure didn't until i saw him with braces. The point im trying to make is that MOST people...don't notice. They really don't. And if they do it's either because a) they have the same obsession about teeth or b) you point it out. So don't fret so much over it.

Anna5

#8 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you so much, all of you, for your kind and encouraging replies. You all honestly think my smile looks fine?? Then I should stop obsessing so much over it and be happy again! I should learn that perfection is not always possible and also not always necessary. I am good the way I am, I don't need to be perfect.... (that is what my counsellor learns me...).

And indeed, there are also hollywood stars, like Tom Cruise, who don't have perfect teeth. (I think Tom Cruise midline is still way off despite him wearing braces). So why should I seek this perfection?

I so much hope I don't need SARPE for a good result. You are right, sirwired, that SARPE is the least invasive surgery, but still it scares me very much (especially the expander and the dreaded gap...). I think I would prefer jaw surgery over SARPE, a bit longer recovery time, but no expander and no gap.....

Starfish, may I ask you how you overcame your BDD? Was your BDD because of your teeth or other reasons? Maybe you can send me a pm if you want to share a bit about it?

I am sorry that you also struggle with anxiety, Sunshineray. Hopefully you found some good coping mechanism?

Once again, thank you all for your loving messages!

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

I hope your counsellor can help you achieve some insight into this issue Anna, clearly it is causing you pain. Good luck with it.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you, Dan, for your kind reply.

bracesagain2

#11 Post by bracesagain2 »

Hi Anna - you actually have beautiful teeth.

I really cannot notice the crossbite right now. I saw your before pictures in the other forum and from that - it's a major improvement & I think it looks great.

I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety. I too am a worrier and I think I find what someone said here to be true - b/c I can also relate.
That if it weren't for your braces, there would be something else to worry about.

I hope your counselor can help too. Remember - in the end your ortho will have fixed your crossbite. It's worth it for wearing the braces.

Anna5

#12 Post by Anna5 »

Thank you for your kind reply, bracesagain2. I hope my counsellor will help and that the ortho will do a good job in fixing my teeth. I should not worry to much. I worry whether I have made a mistake to refuse surgery, but I am also afraid of surgery, I worry about my narrow jaw, I worry whether everybody can see what is wrong with me, I worry about the retention of my open bite...... So many worries! I think I should let it go a bit more, in the end, it is not something lifethreatening and there are more important things in this world than having perfect teeth, like enjoying my family and little son....

Anna5

#13 Post by Anna5 »

Anyone else who can relatie, who has teeth related anxiety as well? Did you find good coping mechanisms? How did you overcome your anxiety?

I so much hope and pray that one day I will be able to give birth to a second child, and it would be so sad if this obsession stands in the way of this dream. I want to overcome it!!! Either by accepting myself the way I am or else by jaw surgery if that turns out to be the best for me....

I think I will ask my ortho next time I go in for his honest opinion about my teeth and the need for jaw surgery yes or no.....

Anna5

#14 Post by Anna5 »

I have set an appointment with my ortho on the 10th of December to talk about my progress, to raise all my concerns, to discuss the need for (SARPE) surgery etc. Hopefully it will set my mind at ease, at least a little bit....

Anna5

#15 Post by Anna5 »

Hello,

Today, I had an appointment with my ortho and he thinks I should not go for jaw surgery. It is not worth the risks and possible complications, in his opinion. So I know my teeth/ jaw will never be perfect.... I hope I will find a way to get peace with this.

One thing I want to share with you: I have found a great website for people (like me!) who are struggling with body image issues, BDD, anxiety about not being 'perfect'. The name of the website is: http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/

There are quite some teeth- related issues on this website. People who have struggled with these insecurities, but have overcome them and/or accept them as making them unique.

I would like to share some of these stories with you, only for those who are interested of course:

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... -smile-the

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... elative-to

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... nky-yellow

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... d-my-smile

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/po ... figured-id

http://stophatingyourbody.tumblr.com/search/teeth

I love to see how these people have overcome there insecurities with their teeth and self esteem issues because of this, although their teeth will never be perfect....

I think it is great that we are getting orthodontics to improve our smile, but that we also have the right to be happy and have peace even if our smiles will never be 100% perfect. I admit that this remains a big struggle for me as well, but I am trying to think this way now.....

Anna