BRACE DAY - all advice welcome!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

burtburgerac

BRACE DAY - all advice welcome!

#1 Post by burtburgerac »

So after years and years of thinking about it, visits to hospitals, deciding surgery just wasn't for me and second opinions from orthodontists - I've taken the plunge! Unfortunately my braces won't reduce my overjet at all (long story which you can see on my older posts) but I figure that straight teeth with an overjet is better than wonky teeth with an overjet!!

So, I've just got back from the orthodontist having had my top braces put on. I haven't cried yet although I'm on the verge! I think the realisation that they still won't be "perfect" after all this has hit me and the brackets are making my overjet look sooooo much worse but I'll soldier on. I imagine the lads in work will be suitably unsympathetic tomorrow so I wont have much time to dwell.

Has anyone got any handy do's and don't now I'm all braced up? What do you think of Waterpiks and what toothbrush should I invest in?? I really want to make sure I look after my teeth so I don't get any problems when it comes off.

sirwired

Re: BRACE DAY - all advice welcome!

#2 Post by sirwired »

Well, if you do decide to get surgery, it's certainly not too late to explore that route.

Waterpik's are great for flushing the "gunk" away from your wire. Just take it easy with the pressure and don't point it at your gums. As far as toothbrush goes? Any soft-head toothbrush will do. If you go with an Oral-B electric, get the ortho heads; your brackets will destroy regular heads pretty quickly.

Stef

#3 Post by Stef »

I agree-LOVE my waterpik. Granted, I've had my braces a little over a day but I LOVE it. It makes my mouth feel so much cleaner- plus I love to put a little mouth wash in the water. Just make sure you floss as well.

I don't know how old you are (I'm 31), but I have had nothing but positive remarks from people regarding my decision to be braced. I hope they don't give you a hard time. :BigGrin:

burtburgerac

#4 Post by burtburgerac »

In the end I thought that maybe getting the braces first was more sensible and then I can see how I feel after that.

Stef - I'm 31 too! My friends have all been really supportive and actually everyone in work has been lovely.

Onwards and upwards!

bessadoo

#5 Post by bessadoo »

All these posts are so helpful!

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

I wish you very good luck with your braces, Burtburgerac! It takes courage to decide for braces as an adult, so that is very good of you! And I am sure it will be worth it. Your teeth may not become 100% perfect, but sure they will improve a lot.
We are all here to support you on your journey!!!

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

Congratulations on your decision, and best of luck to you! I use the waterflosser model of a waterpik, and it does a masterful job blasting debris out of braces. I use interdental brushes dipped in Listerine rather than flossing, and although my hygienist was skeptical, the results speak for themselves. I also use a peroxide rinse made by Crest, and a flouride rinse to finish the job. I am just a little over a year into my two year sentence, and everytime I go in the ortho adds some other type of torture device in an attempt to get me to confess to pain :D . The technicians seem a bit disappointed when they ask me about my pain excitedly, hoping to hear another tale of woe, and I simply tell them it was nothing, what is this pain you guys keep telling me about? Although, between you and me, now the molars are moving so I definitely am feeling "pressure" (NOT PAIN!). I see them again this Thursday. I have some of those goofy plastic teeth that I wore in on a visit to freak out my ortho, and they may get a repeat performance.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kelse

#8 Post by kelse »

Glad you've had some positive feedback op. I'm 37 & getting braces in december so you're a good few years ahead of me!!

burtburgerac

#9 Post by burtburgerac »

Thanks for all your comments!

djspeece I think I have it pretty easy compared to you - only 6-9 months and no horrible devices as far as I know!

As far as the waterpik goes, I don't seem to have much of an issue with food getting stuck in the brace so not sure if it's worth the investment really, is it a good thing to use even if food isn't obviously getting stuck? At the moment I'm brushing, doing each bracket with an interdental brush, flossing and then using a fluoride mouth wash - such a chore!

mmkay

#10 Post by mmkay »

burtburgerac wrote:As far as the waterpik goes, I don't seem to have much of an issue with food getting stuck in the brace so not sure if it's worth the investment really, is it a good thing to use even if food isn't obviously getting stuck? At the moment I'm brushing, doing each bracket with an interdental brush, flossing and then using a fluoride mouth wash - such a chore!
Similarly, I find swishing plus an interdental brush quickly takes care of lodged food, so have not bothered with a waterpik.

My understanding is that the evidence indicates a weekly fluoride mouth wash is as effective as a daily one, so I use weekly. I also use tooth mousse (mi paste), which contains fluoride, twice daily.

At the moment (few days in) for cleaning brackets I am relying on brushing only. Flossing is bad enough - using interdental brushes other than to dislodge food after meals seems just too much effort. Am tempted to get some plaque disclosing tablets to see how well I am doing (not sure I want to know the answer though).

Cadet

#11 Post by Cadet »

All the best