Finally taking the plunge at 34

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gypsyphd

Finally taking the plunge at 34

#1 Post by Gypsyphd »

I had braces at a teenager, but never wore my retainers, so here I am at 34 and getting braced tomorrow morning. I have tossed the idea back and forth over the past few years and went for loads of consultation, only to chicken out. The dentist estimates that I will be in them for 8-10 months. I have decided on clear uppers and metal lowers. I called today to confirm and they said I will be getting a traditional wire tomorrow, and a sure smile wire on in 7 to 8 weeks. I am so grateful for finding this site. :)

Bakey

Re: Finally taking the plunge at 34

#2 Post by Bakey »

Hello, I'm 41 & finally decided to do something about my teeth earlier this year. Like you I've got metal on lower & clear upper and it's estimated I'll need them for 15 months. I've had the metal braces for 4 weeks & had the clear gittedvon fitted on Monday. I'm sure you'll find this forum as helpful as I do.

mysticgirl916

#3 Post by mysticgirl916 »

I'm 34 and I've had my braces for about two and a half months. So you're not alone

WiredOldLady

#4 Post by WiredOldLady »

I'm 49 :-* I've been in braces for about a month now. Never had them as a kid. I have clears on top and metals on the bottom. My expected sentence is 16 months...we'll see. I go for my first adjustment next Wednesday.
Braces off on 8/26/14 after a year!

Gypsyphd

#5 Post by Gypsyphd »

It's great to know that I am not alone. I had them put on this morning and the overall experience at the office was positive. I go back on December 10th for for my wire change. :-)

JeniK

#6 Post by JeniK »

56 yrs young..and braced for 9 weeks

MrsCharisma

#7 Post by MrsCharisma »

I'm 34 too! Been braced (2nd time) since January. :-*

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Gypsyphd

#8 Post by Gypsyphd »

I went in to see my ortho this morning as I had a wire poking into my back cheek. It was such a relief to have it clipped! How often do you see your ortho? Mine wants to see me back in 8 weeks. Is that pretty typical?

Norrie

#9 Post by Norrie »

Hi there, and congrats! I've just had braces for two weeks and one day (but who's counting?), and I go back six weeks after my first visit. I have Incognito, but wish that I had done exactly what you did. Sigh.

SunshineRay

#10 Post by SunshineRay »

Gypsyphd wrote:I went in to see my ortho this morning as I had a wire poking into my back cheek. It was such a relief to have it clipped! How often do you see your ortho? Mine wants to see me back in 8 weeks. Is that pretty typical?
My adjustments are every 4 weeks.

MrsCharisma

#11 Post by MrsCharisma »

I've gone every 4 weeks since I got braced.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Bakey

#12 Post by Bakey »

[quote="Gypsyphd"]I went in to see my ortho this morning as I had a wire poking into my back cheek. It was such a relief to have it clipped! How often do you see your ortho? Mine wants to see me back in 8 weeks. Is that pretty typical?[/quote]

I'm having my first adjustment after 5 weeks but she told me it would be longer for the next one, think it depends on your progress and what needs to be done.

Gypsyphd

#13 Post by Gypsyphd »

Thanks! It seems like it's pretty individual and based on our own needs as far as treatment. I am having a special wire put in in early December (Sure Smile) and I think it takes about 8 week to come in. Today is my one week anniversary in braces! I made myself pancakes this morning to celebrate. :D

Lorianne

#14 Post by Lorianne »

Gypsyphd wrote:Thanks! It seems like it's pretty individual and based on our own needs as far as treatment. I am having a special wire put in in early December (Sure Smile) and I think it takes about 8 week to come in. Today is my one week anniversary in braces! I made myself pancakes this morning to celebrate. :D
hey, happy 1 week braceaversary! and hope you enjoyed the yummy pancakes!!! The other day, after my visit to the dentist, I was feeling like treating myself to lunch and I stopped for some goodies. Well, I bought a delicious looking chicken salad w/ grapes and a small choclate eclair (now you know why I am not losing any weight!). Anyway, I got home with them and proceeded to eat the chicken salad, only to quickly discover it had extremely hard, chopped up pecans in it that I didn't know about til I tried to bite down on em! Felt like rocks! man, talk about a disappointment! I had to pick, pick, pick thru the whole thing. What a pain after I had my taste buds all wrapped around it! haha! Luckily the eclair soothed me! :lol:

SkizzyD

#15 Post by SkizzyD »

Congratulations on taking the plunge. I'm 32 and have had braces for 5 days now! Definitely a lot to get used to.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.