Official 25 and Up Braces Room

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PeaceWaves001

Official 25 and Up Braces Room

#1 Post by PeaceWaves001 »

Hey Party People! I'm due to get my braces on tomorrow!!! I'm full of excitement, anticipation, and wonder! I'm somewhat nervous and I appreciate this forum and the fact that it's a refuge for us people who share common situations. I haven't found a 25 and Up post so I'm creating this to get to know others in my same situation and also allow this to be a post where we can all share our progress together. If I've overlooked such a post please direct me to it!. A little about me. I just turned 26, I'm up for a 18-24 month bid to correct my open bite. Call Me PeaceWaves

thisgal201

Re: Official 25 and Up Braces Room

#2 Post by thisgal201 »

Congrats on your future braces and great smile! I'm 32 yrs old and took the plunge over a year ago! :)
[/url]

chichi

#3 Post by chichi »

Welcome and congrats! I'm 27 and have been in braces for 3 months. You'll find all kinds of support and information on this forum :D Let us know how your appointment goes today!
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

TrustGodAuburn

#4 Post by TrustGodAuburn »

Welcome aboard! I'm 35 and started my journey almost 50 days ago.

PeaceWaves001

#5 Post by PeaceWaves001 »

thisgal201, chichi, TrustGodAuburn!!! You're all awesome! Thanks for the support! They're on and in full effect! I can't stop opening my mouth and situating my lips on top of them! lol. I have a question??? What kind of tooth brush and tooth paste do you use? I recently got an electric toothbrush and I'm thinking it'll get the job better than the manual 1.2.Elbowgrease method. I'm very excited for you all aswell!!!

thisgal201

#6 Post by thisgal201 »

PeaceWaves001 wrote:thisgal201, chichi, TrustGodAuburn!!! You're all awesome! Thanks for the support! They're on and in full effect! I can't stop opening my mouth and situating my lips on top of them! lol. I have a question??? What kind of tooth brush and tooth paste do you use? I recently got an electric toothbrush and I'm thinking it'll get the job better than the manual 1.2.Elbowgrease method. I'm very excited for you all aswell!!!

I remember doing that when I got mine on. I didn't know how to rest my lips and it felt so weird :lol: I use an Oral B Vitality electric brush. There are times I will use a regular toothbrush if my teeth are feeling particularly sore or sensitive. I highly recommend getting a Waterpik to flush food out of the braces. You don't need the most expensive one they make, just a basic one will help. I've used all kinds of toothpaste but we've been buying Crest Extra Whitening toothpaste. I don't feel it really whitens, but no complaints with it.
[/url]

PeaceWaves001

#7 Post by PeaceWaves001 »

Lol! yea, it's a trip, they're kinda scratching the corners of my lips, but.... it's part of the game. Waterpik? LOL! Yea I've noticed those "Whitening" toothpastes don't really whiten as they say they do. Mouth Wash? I heard someone mention to use alcohol free mouth wash ???? Is this necessary?

PeaceWaves001

#8 Post by PeaceWaves001 »

Hey thisgal201 I just checked out the waterpik!!! I'M THERE!!! I NEED ONE!!!

thisgal201

#9 Post by thisgal201 »

I don't use mouthwash regularly. I think I've on occasion used some Act rinse. The Waterpik is a must have, imo. It really helps flush all the food bits out. It doesn't replace flossing but it is a huge help in keeping your mouth clean :)
[/url]

PeaceWaves001

#10 Post by PeaceWaves001 »

Got it. I was thinking it would help me escape threading each tooth! lol I'm ready for the war tho so I'm game for the floss

chichi

#11 Post by chichi »

I generally use some sort of enamel-protecting toothpaste (right now I'm on the Colgate brand, but I jump around) because I love acidic foods and my dentist recommended that I use it. I use a regular manual toothbrush and I also use Listerine - the kind with alcohol... I think most people don't like the burning of the alcoholic rinses. I've seen people say it dries out their mouths, but I've never experienced that. I use it every night after brushing/flossing. And finally, flossing does get better. It only takes me a few minutes now with my regular floss and no special threaders.

I think I covered everything :D
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Lorianne

#12 Post by Lorianne »

PeaceWaves001 wrote:Got it. I was thinking it would help me escape threading each tooth! lol I'm ready for the war tho so I'm game for the floss
Hey PW! Congrats to you! I'm going on 1 week tomorrow, woo hoo! Still very much doing the "lip thing" but it's definitely getting better and I can rest my lips in closed position and I look pretty normal!

My Ortho gave me an Oral B 5000 with special ortho brush and I LOVE it. I'm now wondering why I didn't listen to my dental hygenist years ago who recommended an electric toothbrush for better cleaning. They also recommend Act mouthrinse twice a day, but I can switch off with Listerine for one of those if I want. They also said a waterpik is ok, but does not take the place of flossing as it doesn't get under the gum line. Been using tons of wax too. I just bought some silicone type wax that I like much better than regular wax too! It's softer, smoother, feels better on my gums and (this sounds gross) it's reusable!

Good luck and post pix along the way!

Gypsyphd

#13 Post by Gypsyphd »

Welcome! I am 34 and just had my braces put on last Thursday. My mouth felt crazy for the first few days and I did have a lot of pain, but Advil was my friend. My mouth also felt very strange when I tried to close my lips, but it actually feels better now and I think I am through with the silly faces. :) I haven't got the whole flossing thing down yet because my teeth feel so tight. Hopefully it will come along with time. I look forward to hearing about your progress!

FireFinder

#14 Post by FireFinder »

I'm a few weeks shy of 47, and just started treatment for the 3rd time.

I use a SonicCare, a regular brush, or an Orthodontic manual brush depending on where I am at.

I bought a new waterpik, and use Crest Pro Health toothpaste and Flouride rinse.

This time is odd, I have no contact points except where my top incisors are hitting the brackets on the lower incisors. One of the reasons I am in braces for a 3rd time. It is making eating difficult.

I am a popcorn fanatic, so going without is likely to make me mental. Waterpik is a necessary thing if you eat brownies, chocolate cake, cheetos or popcorn. :BigTeethGrin:

PeaceWaves001

#15 Post by PeaceWaves001 »

You did! thanks so much for the info!!! So much energy and care goes into the maintenance of these braces!
Last edited by PeaceWaves001 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.