braces-induced tmj?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

isthistaken

braces-induced tmj?

#1 Post by isthistaken »

Yes, it is I, back from my extended absence. I hope you all are doing well.

In braces 7 months...out of the blue left jaw is popping and clicking constantly. I have been chewing some rather tough foods. Once I got started it was hard to stop--all these foods I hadn't eaten in 6 months and I had to try them again. Now I wonder if I've damaged my jaw or if this is just temporary. I wonder what can be done to correct this now because the popping is really quite extreme. It doesn't hurt but has been constant for a few days. I will be mentioning this to my dear ortho, of course, but in the meantime, someone please tell me it's normal and will self-correct. :(

drgnchsr36

Re: braces-induced tmj?

#2 Post by drgnchsr36 »

I did have an issue with clenching with braces that I never had before.. now that they're off, I don't. I do clench from time to time though at night with the retainers..

Anna5

#3 Post by Anna5 »

I have had the same: constant jaw clicking since I was in braces. I think it is not normal, my ortho referred me to a jaw fysiotherapist and that really helped a lot. Turned out that I didn't open my mouth symmytrically (shifting my lower jaw to much to the left and to the right when I open my mouth). Now that I try to take care of this, the jaw clicking is much less.
Also try to avoid 'playing' with your teeth and jaw (as I did a lot, and I heard that many people in braces do so), for example don't click your jaw on purpose, that will make things much worse.
I hope your ortho can give you good advise!

SunshineRay

#4 Post by SunshineRay »

I used to grind my teeth in my sleep when I was stressed. Now I feel a constant tension in my jaws. It doesnt hurt but doesnt feel normal.

Anna5

#5 Post by Anna5 »

After a small period of less jaw clicking, my jaw started clicking again, almost everytime when I eat. I find this very annoying. Anyone else with this problem?

vegathestar

#6 Post by vegathestar »

my jaws are clicky ALL the time but they aren't hurting so my ortho doesn't seem worried

Anna5

#7 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Vegathestar,

I am sorry to hear that your jaw is also clicking all the time. Did you have this problem before braces as well or did it get worse since you have had braces?

vegathestar

#8 Post by vegathestar »

Hi Anna!

I have clicky jaws even before starting my braces treatment. However I do realized getting power chains during my last adjustment gave me temporal pain just underneath my ears. If not, my clicky jaw are left in the same exact condition even before I got braces