Intense pressure around nose.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scraggy

Intense pressure around nose.

#1 Post by scraggy »

Hi, I'm 14 days post op Le fort 1
Thing have been going fine. surgery was straight forward, no more pain, im on a blended diet with light elastic bands on, my last check up was on Wednesday,
But this afternoon Ive got building pressure at the top of my nose between my eyes its starting to get real painfull, also feels like someone is trying to pull my upper teeth out of my mouth.
im not too sure of what to do.
Ive taken pain killers but its doing nothing for the pressure

Has anyone else had this problem or can advise me on what to do.

sirwired

Re: Intense pressure around nose.

#2 Post by sirwired »

Call your oral surgeon; sounds like your sinuses might be hassling you. In the meantime, I suggest Sudafed (if that's something you can take), and don't take the "fake" Sudafed (Sudafed PE) Only genuine Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride; accept no substitutes.

scraggy

#3 Post by scraggy »

Thank you sirwired,
You were right it is my sinuses that are causing the pain. Saw the doctor to day and he said it will clear in time, use sudafed, but he also informed me I have oral thrush,

I have to stop using the mouth wash I was using while I treat the thrush with a cream for the tongue.

Is there anything else I can use to rinse my mouth to reduce the risk of infection.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Thrush; ick. You have my sympathies.

You also may want to give decongestant nasal spray a try. However, if you use it longer than the three days on the label, prepare yourself for the near-inevitable rebound congestion (and DON'T stay on it indefinitely; you'll regret it.) My surgeon had me on the stuff for a little over a week to staunch the nasal bleeding and reduce swelling, and the rebound congestion was annoying, but less annoying than nosebleeds. I don't know how effective it is to help sinus pain, but it probably can't hurt anything either.

I wouldn't worry too much about a bacterial infection in your mouth. You were probably put on a course of antibiotics immediately after your surgery. (You are likely done with those by now.) Because of its vulnerability to damage, the soft tissue in your mouth is quite resistant to infection and actually heals pretty quickly. Infection of the surgery site is probably no longer an issue. All the healing that's left will be your bone sealing up, but that's all behind your gums, which protect it.

scraggy

#5 Post by scraggy »

Ty.

Heres to the start of feeling better, on a good note my roof of mouth is starting to get the feeling back in it I have a small cut there and I can feel it. Plus tingling starting as well.

How are you sirwired?

Corrinne

#6 Post by Corrinne »

I've been using a neti pot for my sinus pressure post-op. it flushes out loads of blood clots and mucous and I feel so much better every time I use it.
I would tell everyone having jaw surgery to use one - but please check with your doctor first.

And if you do use one, make sure you only use purified/boiled water and pure salt.

Hope you feel better soon - the sinus pressure is really awful, you have my sympathy
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos

scraggy

#7 Post by scraggy »

Ty for the advice.

My worst nightmare is happening my teeth are moving apart. The gap is coming back like it was before the operation.

I don't know what to do I not due for an appointment till 4 Oct.

I don't want to leave it that long incase it gets worse but on the other hand I'm with the NHS and I have rang today and left a message but no one rang back. There now closed for today. It's really hard to get emergency appointments with my othor I don't want some one different who don't know me or my case.

This is really worrying me as I don't want a second operation or for this whole thing to a complete waste of time and money. It cost £2000 to have this operation with loss of wages and hiring staff to run my business.

So font know what to do. Im now 18 post op.

Corrinne

#8 Post by Corrinne »

I am also 18 days post op (or is it 19?) and I'm on the NHS too. If I ever have an issue I always phone them and ask for advice. Try to stay calm tonight and then call tomorrow. They may just need to put some firmer elastics on.

From what I can gather from others who have had the surgery, the bone takes weeks and weeks to fuse so even if your bite drifts off just now, they have plenty of time to fix it :)

My surgery has left my bite asymmetrical slightly - but I'm not worried because my ortho says it will be corrected in time,

Good luck :)
Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013

scraggy

#9 Post by scraggy »

Ty so much corrinne,
Its that I've really struggled the first two weeks. And felt so alone as not had anyone around me at all. Been stuck in a flat all alone. But the weekend I felt better cos I ventured outside.

Saw a few friends, now I have this it's hard not to worry everything is going wrong, not having anyone to ask what they think. I don't think I could face it all again doing it alone. It's really sucky beening unable to be with people.

Funny hardest part about this is the isolation of it all.

Just going to keep ring tomorrow till I get to speak to a human instead of answer machine.

Corrinne

#10 Post by Corrinne »

You're welcome :)
I'm lucky because I'm surrounded by people. Just remember that it is the recovery which is making you overly emotional. I've had a few bad days myself. I call them pity party days :)

Let us know what happens :)

scraggy

#11 Post by scraggy »

Ty

I know I'm feeling sorry myself. It's a pity party for one over here.

scraggy

#12 Post by scraggy »

Today I have started to swell badly really swollen, have spoken to my ortho and am seeing him tomorrow.

With the swelling has come pain feels like me teeth are falling out one in perticular. Just have to see what happens tomorrow.

Corrinne

#13 Post by Corrinne »

I've been feeling like that since I had some strong elasticated put in. It makes my teeth feel crushed. Hopefully it's nothing unusual.

JeniK

#14 Post by JeniK »

Scraggy, I am SO happy you are going to see your ortho tomorrow!! Hopefully all is ok...and just having a rough spot right now. Please take care..and let us know what you find out!! Sorry you are feeling so lonely :( I am not sure I would handle that part any better myself!! Just know you are always free to chat here!! Best we can offer!!

scraggy

#15 Post by scraggy »

Ty Jenik
The loneliness is alot better now that I'm going out each day and I've decided to go back to work on Monday.

It was a hard two weeks. I think with the operation, not eating and being hormonal all built up and became too much. But I'm feeling loads better.

So hoping tomorrow it's just a matter that the bands I'm wearing are in the wrong place. And all I need if different bands in a different position

I've found the answer to my no chew problems and that is chocolate buttons. No chewing needed just melt in the mouth.