Finally Got Them!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chicken

Finally Got Them!

#1 Post by Chicken »

I will be 49 in May and I got my top braces on 3/6/13. I have a large diastema that was caused by a very large frenum. I had a frenectomy about 6 weeks ago prior to having braces. I have the damon clear brackets on my front 10 top teeth, with a metal tie that crossed to close the space. I also have a moderate over bite and crowding in my front lower. I will be getting the bottom brace on 4/23/13.

I went for a free consultation at the beginning of February and they took xrays, photos and met the orthodontist. I had some dental work to take care of and an appointment with a periodontist to schedule the frenectomy. My dental insurance paid for a portion of the surgery. It went very well and I didnt even need pain meds. Bonus! However as I am an adult insurance doesnt pay for the braces. On 3/6/12 I went to sort out payment with the orthodontist, I did pay for it up frontusing my tax refund. I hope they do not go out of business! They had a cancellation and asked me if I wanted to start treatment then. I didn't have any plans and before I knew it I was having a mold taken of my bottom jaw.

After this I was taken to a dental chair that faced a window, thank goodness it was one way as it was mortifying enough to have my mouth wide open with other patients in the room. The orthodontists assistant had every thing laid out on a tray and explained that she was going to etch and clean my teeth to allow the brackets to adhere to the teeth. I also has a suction device in my mouth. Then she applied adhesive to the brackets and applied the 10 clear ones to the front teeth. When she had completed this the orthodontist applied metal brackets to my molars and checked the rest. The assistant then cured the adhesive with a light and placed a very thin wire in the brackets and closed the doors. She then wrapped some more thin wire around the brackets on my two front teeth in a crosswise fashion and cinched them together. I was quite shocked that an assistant did all this and I spent very little time with the man himself. After making two appointments one for 3/26/13 to check on my nickel allergy and another for 4/23/13 to install the bottom brace.

After leaving the office I was almost in tears thinking what on earth had I done, not believing that I had volunteered for this torture and to feel like this for the next 14 - 16 months. I felt some pressure the first day and thought that I would brave it out and not take any medication. I ate some bread and cheese and tomato soup cutting it up and chewing with my molars. By this time my teeth were stateing to feel pretty delicate. After this i water flossed my teeth and brushed using my electric tooth brush I had to turn it off to brush the tops. Over the following 2 weeks my bite changed so much it was scary each day when I woke up I would wonder what changes had taken place during the night, at one point only two points on my left rear molars touched. I told my daughter that it felt that all my teeth went on a road trip in different directions and are almost back where they started. I have started clenching my teeth during the night for the past week and a half. I have had no sores in my mouth or the need to use wax. I did break down on day 2 and took advil twice, and once on day 3. My mouth gets dry and I use a lot of lip balm.

When I went back for the nickel allergy check on 3/26/13 they cinched up the cross tie in the center my eyed must have bugged out of my head as the assistant asked if I was ok. It was a bit of a shock feeling my teeth literally move in my head all of a sudden. I have noticed some movement already there is a gap forming between the front :D tooth and the tooth to the right. Apparently the gap will eventually be in the back of my mouth. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tobilei

Re: Finally Got Them!

#2 Post by Tobilei »

Hi :) Welcome to the forum!

Glad you're on your way to having the smile you're after! I too walked out of the office wondering what on earth I was thinking willingly signing up for this torture!

Sounds like things are moving already! That's great :)

Chicken

#3 Post by Chicken »

Hi Tobilei

Thanks for the welcome.
This site is great as I have learned a lot. This is definitely the go to place for answers and reassurance. Your teeth are really looking great. I can't believe that I am already seeing results. It is incouraging.

Avalon Rose

#4 Post by Avalon Rose »

hi!!!!!!! welcome!!!!!!!

I just got braced on Friday, the first two days were torture, I cried over everything, literally. I was in so much pain that just thinking about eating made me cry. Luckily I have an awesome mother in law and she made me some mashed potatoes and green beans and that hit the spot. Today is day 4 and I just ate a completely NORMAL meal, Fried eggs, toasted bread, and fried ham... with a little soreness,but nothing to cry over!!!!!!!! What I am so excited about is that I have the damon braces, so I don't have another appointment until the end may so 8 weeks from now! I can feel things moving and shifting so I know something is happening, even if the soreness is gone.

Chicken

#5 Post by Chicken »

Hi Avalon Rose

Thanks for your welcome.
Do you have both top and bottoms on?

I am finding the daily bite change interesting, there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason.

Congratulations on getting your braces. I must admit it is pretty exciting. I am nervous about getting the bottoms next month. It's quite nice being able to floss without obstacles at the moment and have no discomfort in my lower chompers.

SunshineRay

#6 Post by SunshineRay »

Congrats on taking the plunge! At least there wasnt any anxiety building up to the appt.

Chicken

#7 Post by Chicken »

SunshineRay wrote:Congrats on taking the plunge! At least there wasnt any anxiety building up to the appt.
Very true! I think it was the best way to do it.

Angel269

#8 Post by Angel269 »

Hi Chicken

Good luck with your journey. I also had braces to close an upper midline diastema-I saw progress very quickly and I hope you do too.

Now that mine are off I know it was so worthwhile, feel free to check out my page and see my progress pics :-)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Chicken

#9 Post by Chicken »

Thank you angel your pictures are very encouraging. I hope mine will turn out just as good. You have a beautiful smile. :BigGrin:

Chicken

#10 Post by Chicken »

Chapter 2

I got my bottom brace today and it was as expected full metal. They had to special order them apparently due to my nickel allergy. She was not able to place the wire into to bracket of the front tooth as it is rotated and they are waiting for this wire to create some space first. She also has to place a bite block on each side of my mouth on my next to last molars. I also had my first adjustment to my top brace, which included a power chain across the top four front teeth and a more heavy duty wire. I took 3 advil prior to this appointment and used chapstic it was a breeze. When the assistant had finished her handy work the Ortho came to check. He said oh she isnt going to like this and proceeded to grind my top front teeth down where one was longer than the other it must have occurred when teeth were rotated and my bite was uneven and now they are straightening it was quite noticeable. I was very pleased that he did this. In fact they took care of all my concerns without me even having to ask. I was very impressed. My next appointment is June 7th. Going for Chinese food tonight this will be interesting. :crazy:

I am including before and after pics for bottom brace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chicken

#11 Post by Chicken »

Latest photos after third adjustment. This was a rough one. I had my adjustment on Friday and just wanted to crawl into a hole until today. They increased both wire sizes a lot and added a bunch of coils on my lower front and lower left molar. The inside of my mouth is like hamburge. And whoopee I go to get a cleaning tomorrow. Will be dosing myself with advil. But on the bright side my diastema is completely closed just the rest to sort out.

Chicken

#12 Post by Chicken »

I am so glad I was able to figure out how to resize. Those last pics were pretty scary. Ugh!

SunshineRay

#13 Post by SunshineRay »

Great progress!

Chicken

#14 Post by Chicken »

Just got back from another adjustment, they took the spring spacers off my bottom teeth and finally engaged the rogue rotated tooth on the bottom, by the time I got home it was almost in the position it is supposed to be and I couldn't neck those ibuprofen fast enough. I have also just returned to the US after spending 5 weeks in the UK visiting my family. My Mum loaned me her water pik while I was there. I did notice that the water pik is not as powerful as the one I bought here in the US. It was better than nothing though. The traveling wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, I did board my plane about 2 hours after my previous adjustment and the first week was pretty uncomfortable. My Ortho gave me his home and cell phone numbers with instructions that I call day or night if I run into any problems and he would help me locate a local ortho. I thought that was extremely decent of him. However, I did not need to call as everything was fine. I have lost count of what number todays adjustment is. I think I have skipped posting the last 1. Maybe it is my 5th.

beckyboo0205

#15 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Hey your teeth look great! And they closed that gap up pretty fast! I got braced 10 days after you and they are just now closing mine up. But it's definately closing! I noticed my two front teeth must have been rotated too and once they got straight, they were misshaped too! One corner was longer than the other. Now that my gap is closing up too, they are not straight across... each outside corner is down more. Probably only noticeable to me though.