Just got Damon Clear today!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

scotto7

Just got Damon Clear today!

#1 Post by scotto7 »

Yippee, I went through with it!

Got them in 5 hrs ago, and soo far, zero discomfort at all! Eating is slow going, but I'll get used to it. Talking is 95% fine I'd say, a tiny bit of lisp'iness.

However, I'm trying to figure out how the heck they work?!? It feels like there is almost no pressure at all. I've got 8 clear brackets on my upper teeth, and metal everywhere else (Bottom and top).

I'm trying to theorise in my head how these things move your teeth, considering every part of them looks quite small, the wire especially.

What is actually acting as the fulcrum for moving the teeth, if that makes sense? My head is telling me there has to be something that is basically acting as the immovable object around which the teeth reposition themselves...but I cant figure out what it is?

Any geniuses out there?

Woobster

Re: Just got Damon Clear today!

#2 Post by Woobster »

I have the same Dmon setup as you (Im a week in), and I've been wondering the same thing!

You'll start to feel a little more soreness/tightness over the next few days, and will start to feel some changes as well.

I hope things go well for you!

gaman

#3 Post by gaman »

Brace wire is memory wire. They arch the wire across your teeth. The wire always wants to be straight. So depending where they place the brackets that hold the wire, the wire wants to be straight. The more pressure they want the bigger diameter wire used. When this wire is cold you can tie a knot in it and when it get warm like in your mouth it want to go straight. So they don't even tighten braces anymore just change the wire size.
It the same kind of wire they use in some glasses frames. If you ball it up or sit on them they bend back in the shape they were. The wire came from the space industry. When they deploy the satellites the antenna pops out letting the antenna keep it's shape when it made. Hope that helps. :BigTeethGrin:
ME

scotto7

#4 Post by scotto7 »

That certainly DOES help. Thanks for the information, brilliant! :D

chichi

#5 Post by chichi »

scotto7 wrote:What is actually acting as the fulcrum for moving the teeth, if that makes sense? My head is telling me there has to be something that is basically acting as the immovable object around which the teeth reposition themselves...but I cant figure out what it is?
I believe the molars are pretty much anchors and everything will move around them... so they're holding the ends of the wire in place and then the wire wants to be in the arch shape so it brings your teeth with it.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Matilda

#6 Post by Matilda »

Congratulations on getting your braces today, scotto7.

Bakey

#7 Post by Bakey »

I have no idea how it works either but I'm finding it fascinating. I had damon metal fitted to my lower teeth on Monday, from Tuesday my teeth were achy and very sensitive to touch but nothing I couldn't cope with, they feel much better today. I'm getting clear put on my top teeth in a few weeks.