Dude Braces @ 25 --- MapleLeafMan888 My Story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mapleleafman888

Dude Braces @ 25 --- MapleLeafMan888 My Story

#1 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Hello guys n gals! So here it is, braces from a 25 year old dude's perspective. I finally am getting rolling here with my whole braces saga. 1 month after my initial consultation, I set the date to be braced on September 9th 2013.

My sentence: 18 months (potential finish: Feb 9th 2015), damon clear on top, damon metal on bottom, bite turbos and mega elastics!

This has been many years coming...aren't we all a bit stubborn at 15 when we could have gotten braces for half the cost!? Better late than never.

Thanks to everyone who follows along and comments, also please check out my blog (which I will try to post at least 1-3 times per month or as major changes or anything noticable happens).

Here are my before shots:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

anedia

Re: Dude Braces @ 25 --- MapleLeafMan888 My Story

#2 Post by anedia »

Thanks for sharing your story!!

I get braced on Sept 3rd so just a week or so before you.

I have to go in next Monday to get spacers put in. Are you having to get spacers??
First Consultation: July 16th, 2013
Second Consultation: August 21st, 2013
Extractions (Wisdom + baby tooth): August 22nd, 2013
Brace Date: September 4th, 2013
First Adjustment: October 18th, 2013.

mapleleafman888

#3 Post by mapleleafman888 »

anedia wrote:Thanks for sharing your story!!

I get braced on Sept 3rd so just a week or so before you.

I have to go in next Monday to get spacers put in. Are you having to get spacers??
Hey Anedia, no problem!

Good to hear you're starting treatment, how are you feeling about it? You'll have to let me know how the first week goes! How long are they sentencing you for?

With the type of braces I am getting (damon self-ligating), they don't require spacers---they just bond super huge brackets on the back two molars, upper and lower.

anedia

#4 Post by anedia »

I'm pretty nervous but still excited.

I'm getting my wisdom teeth and one baby tooth out next Thursday - I think I'm more nervous about that.

I will be getting ceramic on top and metal on the bottom - traditional - no damon or anything like that. My sentence is 18-24 months =/ I'm hoping more towards the 18th month mark!

JohnsonSon

#5 Post by JohnsonSon »

Why do they schedule it so far in advance? The only reason I had to wait for mine is for spacers and because I had to have an appliance made.

But yea, I'm a 24 year old guy, so I can sort of relate. It's not so bad though, it will go by fast. I've had mine on for 4 months and I hardly notice them now.

mapleleafman888

#6 Post by mapleleafman888 »

anedia wrote:I'm pretty nervous but still excited.

I'm getting my wisdom teeth and one baby tooth out next Thursday - I think I'm more nervous about that.

I will be getting ceramic on top and metal on the bottom - traditional - no damon or anything like that. My sentence is 18-24 months =/ I'm hoping more towards the 18th month mark!
I have to admit I am nervous, only in the sense that I would hate to see my family's reaction once they find out...I have only told 2 close friends and my mom! I don't plan on telling anyone else, it'll be a game of how long will it take for them to find out!

The wisdom teeth deal isn't so bad, I had mine out a few years ago (under local freezing) because I hated the thought of being put under. Wasn't too bad. The first couple days was a major annoyance in the eating department...P.S. Eat really heavy in the week before :D

mapleleafman888

#7 Post by mapleleafman888 »

JohnsonSon wrote:Why do they schedule it so far in advance? The only reason I had to wait for mine is for spacers and because I had to have an appliance made.

But yea, I'm a 24 year old guy, so I can sort of relate. It's not so bad though, it will go by fast. I've had mine on for 4 months and I hardly notice them now.
My consult was July 11th and initially I had been set for July 30th bonding, however I did get cold feet and cancelled! So now I just figured I'd finish of the better part of the summer without braces seeing as how they will be on for next summer anyways! I picked the date, they would have done them earlier though.

Good to hear, I'm looking forward to forgeting about them too! Any tips, comments or reactions from/about people on your braces? Has it affected your dating life at all or how did the significant other take it?

JohnsonSon

#8 Post by JohnsonSon »

Hey, sorry I didn't check back on this til today.

People will notice them once and then they won't mention it again. Be thankful you don't have a tongue crib like me. Even 4 months in I talk with a huge lisp. Can't wait to get that off.

Braces will only affect you as much as you let them. A guy who is confident and comfortable in his skin will have no problem dating with braces. In fact, it can even be a positive. I've had more than a few girls tell me that it's cute. I would never judge someone for trying to better his/herself.

The biggest thing to get used to is eating. I want to eat non-stop but I can't because of the rubber bands. It's a constant problem, but you'll see what I mean lol.

My sentence is unfortunately 30 months (My bite is/was pretty open) and I had to get my wisdom teeth pulled as well.

http://i.imgur.com/HMOdMSn.png

That's my progress so far with the lower right number being the days from start of treatment and the centered time frame being the time from start of elastics. I don't have a day 0 pic unfortunately so it starts with when I started elastics.

mapleleafman888

#9 Post by mapleleafman888 »

JohnsonSon wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/HMOdMSn.png

That's my progress so far with the lower right number being the days from start of treatment and the centered time frame being the time from start of elastics. I don't have a day 0 pic unfortunately so it starts with when I started elastics.
No worries!

Never heard of the tongue crib, what's that for? Sorry about the lisp man, but I'm sure this will all be worth it in the end. Pretty sure I'm going to have one too as my ortho is going to be proping my mouth open about 4-5mm with turbos until my molars and bi-cuspids are pulled together (deep bite correction).

Very true, I recently started dated this girl and she was supportive when I told her, partly because she chickened out of getting braces and opted for veneers instead! I guess the best solution when it comes to having braces is just to rock them and treat it as part of who you are for the time being.

This is crazy, maybe I should stop my cut (fitness) but with the eating thing you just mention I think I'm going to go in the opposite way as eating sounds tough! lol

Wow man! That progress is very noticable!!! Awesome!

MissRed

#10 Post by MissRed »

Hi mapleleafman888,

Thanks for sharing your story! I was just wondering how much you had to pay for clear uppers and metal lowers? It seems that some people are offered the same price for metal or clear whereas others are told it will cost more for clear?

mapleleafman888

#11 Post by mapleleafman888 »

MissRed wrote:Hi mapleleafman888,

Thanks for sharing your story! I was just wondering how much you had to pay for clear uppers and metal lowers? It seems that some people are offered the same price for metal or clear whereas others are told it will cost more for clear?
No prob!

Well it really depends on who you go see for treatment. A regular Dentist will charge alot less for braces compared to an Orthodontist. Also the type of braces you are getting and the complexity of your case makes a difference too...from what I have read and experienced myself from researching and visiting 3 different offices, clears tend to be up to 500 more per arch for the damon system (which is what I am paying above the quoted price of damon metals). Traditional clears may not be that much more than regular metal.

So to put it as I see it, pricing resembled this (not including retention):

Regular Dentist with traditional metal - $3,500- $4,000+
Regular Dentist with traditional clears - $4,500-5,000
Orthodontist with traditional metal - $5,000-5,500
Orthodontist with damon clears - $5,500-$6,500+

mapleleafman888

#12 Post by mapleleafman888 »

I'm six days away, now experiencing some mild nervousness---I can't believe I am actually doing this! Time to go play some tennis or go swimming to forget about all this!

anedia

#13 Post by anedia »

Its getting close for you!! My last week flew by but I think thats because I was recovering from my extractions.

mapleleafman888

#14 Post by mapleleafman888 »

anedia wrote:Its getting close for you!! My last week flew by but I think thats because I was recovering from my extractions.
Yup!! I'm pretty excited though now, was laying in bed last night thinking how nice it's going to be when I can finally close my mouth properly!

How did all those extractions go?

You're going in today, best of luck to you...post soon if you can!

anedia

#15 Post by anedia »

Extractions actually went pretty well. Not too much pain, more swelling and uncomfortable.

I finally put my own story post up, with pictures!