What is your favorite brace food?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JeniK

Re: What is your favorite brace food?

#46 Post by JeniK »

I have been having yogurt, pudding, mac and cheese, and mashed potatoes. I have tried a very soft grill cheese...teeny tiny bites...not sure if I squished it or chew it! I, too, have molar buildups...impossible to find a chewing surface. Oh well....I have lost 4 pounds...I hope it keeps going for a while....
Going out for breakfast in the morning...I see scrambled eggs as my choice!

cakehat

#47 Post by cakehat »

Eggs, yogurt, mash! Not together!

kids041

#48 Post by kids041 »

I was toughing it thru the regular foods with pain and molar buildups. I will be no longer... :(
I have worn down my buildups already... in 10 days... I am a clencher/grinder...
I went back and had them re-built up today.. WOW! NOT a chance in heck that any of my teeth besides the 2 will touch.
I was unable to even eat bacon for dinner... I guess I really have to hit the soft foods for sure which is good I guess since my teeth are very tender right now, besides not touching. :(

TMJJill

#49 Post by TMJJill »

kids041 wrote:I was toughing it thru the regular foods with pain and molar buildups. I will be no longer... :(
I have worn down my buildups already... in 10 days... I am a clencher/grinder...
I went back and had them re-built up today.. WOW! NOT a chance in heck that any of my teeth besides the 2 will touch.
I was unable to even eat bacon for dinner... I guess I really have to hit the soft foods for sure which is good I guess since my teeth are very tender right now, besides not touching. :(
I'm a bruxer too. I had to give up my incredible custom sleep splint when I got the braces on. I had some difficulty adjusting. After about a month, my Orthondontist had me start wearing elastics form my lower back molars to my upper canines. This held my jaw in position when I was lying down and my bruxing did decrease over time. I did have some periods of biting/chewing on my tongue though. They were horrible, but gradually subsided as my arch changed and there was more room for my tongue.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

isthistaken

#50 Post by isthistaken »

I remember those days. I got extremely skinny and extremely hungry! Couldn't bite down on anything for quite a while. Just be easy on yourself and stock up on what you CAN eat. It took a few months for me to be able to eat more normally. It was an ordeal but I survived on cream of wheat, cream soups, applesauce, literally a smooth/liquid diet. Lost weight like crazy. I think part of it was being afraid to eat and thinking I couldn't. Then we had a crisis which made me sort of forget the braces issue and I started eating more during that time and since. I've had a lot of firsts lately, my first hamburger, my first salad, in six months! Really appreciate those foods now more than ever. Just remember creamy smooth pureed...it should be temporary although it seems like forever at the time.

Cdp95

#51 Post by Cdp95 »

I lived on soup and smoothies for a week when I had mine put on! Now I eat pretty much everything

Pondemoz

#52 Post by Pondemoz »

Ice cream, all the way! Closely followed by potatoes and watermelons.

JeniK

#53 Post by JeniK »

I thought I could eat regular food! I decided to try a chili cheese dog with cheese...did not want to eat at work in our employee dining room....so we brought lunch home. Well....the hotdog BUN and the chili and cheese were good! The hotdog is still here!! THEN....it took 20 minutes or so to get the bun and the chili and the cheese out of my braces!! Good grief...note taken...no more thinking about chili cheese dogs!! :crazy:

kids041

#54 Post by kids041 »

I have had only soft foods to eat today. Why is it that soft foods leave you feeling like you need more to eat?? like something substantial...
Must be in my mind... :shock:

JeniK

#55 Post by JeniK »

Totally not in your mind. Here is what I have been eating ....4:30 AM yogurt. Break at work is usually about 9AM....I have mash potatoes and usually another yogurt or pudding. By the time I get home around 1:15....I am hungry again!!
Tomorrow lunch will be different....We had Subway for dinner tonight. So I am taking 1/2 my tuna sandwich for lunch. Fork and knife style...and leave half the bread!

Jabbajaws01

#56 Post by Jabbajaws01 »

Well I love mash, bananas and choc puddings that heat up in the microwave. Not a major fan of ice cream but have been tempted as I have a bad sweet tooth. But I have something that makes this worthwhile, I get hubby to bite opposite ends off a Tim tam and I dunk and suck my coffee through it. It melts and is so damn yummy and delish!!!
Toni aka "Jabbajaws"

oimysizex

#57 Post by oimysizex »

I've always eaten what i wanted with braces really aha

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Matilda

#58 Post by Matilda »

I love having pancakes once in a while.

Liz2013