Braces at 40

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mrstraintracks

Braces at 40

#1 Post by mrstraintracks »

I just hit the big 4-0, but I look like I'm in my mid 30s mostly everyone says since I have olive skin. I am elated to see so many more I will call us "sophisticated adults" wearing these braces into our adult years. I had a good top smile but my bottom teeth were crooked. In addition, I have a baby tooth canine that is exposed and it's a good tooth. It started to wiggle and it's about to come loose, so my dentist recommended I get braces instead of an impact. To my shock, an implant is more than braces. I finally got my braces, which I found out were Damon to my excitement on Friday. It's been smooth sailing this past few days. In about 6 months they will pull my baby tooth. They are making room for it now and then will pull it forward w/ a bar across so you won't see such an empty space. I have to admit that my husband and friends are very supportive. My little girl thinks they are shiny and pretty. So sweet. I'm married and got a man so I don't care about how it looks. He'll love me either way. I'm shocked I finally did it. The worst part about it is cleaning your teeth. I would still rather eat at home than out but I am learning some short cuts from blogs and boards about the superfloss, which is fantastic. In addition, I got an electric toothbrush and it's great. It's nice to have a site like this.

TMJJill

Re: Braces at 40

#2 Post by TMJJill »

Welcome to the club. :-1

I got my Damon's on when I was 40 too. I really appreciate the advantages of the self-ligating brackets.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

isthistaken

#3 Post by isthistaken »

Definitely get a WaterPik!

SunshineRay

#4 Post by SunshineRay »

Hi and welcome! I'm 38 and on week 3 of ceramic top only braces.

kathydell

#5 Post by kathydell »

Welcome! 47 when I started my journey 4 months ago. The changes started happening fast and I already know it's the best investment I've ever made in myself.

GypsyCruiser

#6 Post by GypsyCruiser »

Welcome.....53 yr old here.....getting ceramic on top and metal on bottom in October. Just had a few loose teeth pulled and getting implants toward end of treatment. I am a little nervous about it....okay....a little scared, lol.

Glad it went smoothly for you. I hope its half as smooth for me. DH keeps reminding me it will be so worth it....and I do agree.

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken »

GypsyCruiser wrote:Welcome.....53 yr old here.....getting ceramic on top and metal on bottom in October. Just had a few loose teeth pulled and getting implants toward end of treatment. I am a little nervous about it....okay....a little scared, lol.

Glad it went smoothly for you. I hope its half as smooth for me. DH keeps reminding me it will be so worth it....and I do agree.
I am 55 with metal top and bottom for four months. It's going well so far.

JeniK

#8 Post by JeniK »

Welcome! 55 here, I start my journey in 27 days. I will have clear on top and metal on the bottom. A bit anxious to get this started!

disland78

#9 Post by disland78 »

35 have ceramic on top and will get metal in a couple of months. so far so good.

kids041

#10 Post by kids041 »

I am 43 and have metal on top and bottom :) So far so good!

NeilH

#11 Post by NeilH »

Hi, I'm 46 and have metal brackets top and bottom. Really pleased I have done this and enjoying the whole experience.

scotto7

#12 Post by scotto7 »

35 and getting Damon Clear in 2 weeks! Got a slightly goofy smile cos one of my canines sticks out quite a lot, so cant really see teeth behind it when I smile. Excited to see how long it takes for that tooth to start pulling in!!

Marigold

#13 Post by Marigold »

I got mine at 46 - Damons top and bottom. I'm 49 now and the end is FINALLY near. They've been more of an inconvenience than anything, but I'm very happy with the results.
Class II moderately deep overbite, mild crowding.
Braced on January 19, 2011. Debraced on December 16, 2013.
2 years, 11 months in braces.

kathydell

#14 Post by kathydell »

@Scott07 - I had a lower canine that was waaaaay out there all snaggletoothlike. I have only been in braces for just under 5 months and at last visit (3 weeks ago) ortho said it's already where it needs to be! You'll be shocked how fast it moves into position

djspeece

#15 Post by djspeece »

You youngsters!
62 here, one year into the adventure (well almost a year). Hopefully half way through.
I'm seasoned, not old. :gavel:
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying