New Member - struggling with braces!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lm2812

New Member - struggling with braces!

#1 Post by lm2812 »

Hi I had my braces fitted on Saturday and am really struggling to adjust, they just feel so strange, lots of pressure and some sore gums. Eating is quite difficult and I am very self conscious about eating in front of people - food just seems to get stuck! Any tips?

I have had clear ceramic brackets fitted to the top and the bottom will be done in time, oh and i am 53!. Perhaps i am just expecting too much too soon.

djspeece

Re: New Member - struggling with braces!

#2 Post by djspeece »

Hi Im,
You're in good company, it takes a while before you find a comfort zone. For me it was several months (I'm 62) but I still have my moments. Soreness is completely expected and use wax liberally. You''ll soon discover the right amount to use. Lots of threads here on the very same topic. I am typing this on my phone so hopefully I won't make what my friend calls "picnic" errors: problem in chair, not in computer. She thinks she's so smart (well actually she is but I don't want to let on of course.)
Welcome to the club, secret handshake to follow. And good luck!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

JeniK

#3 Post by JeniK »

I have had my braces for 10 days....the pressure and discomfort have all been with me. Yesterday was the first day I was really able to eat more than pudding and yogurt. All in due time...you will be fine. :lol:
Welcome to the club!! :-1
There is a lot on this forum that will give you tremendous advice...and tons of support!!

Djspeece....pppssssttt....no one told ME about the secret hand shake!! :yikes:

Roses

#4 Post by Roses »

I got mine on Thursday! My second premolar on the bottom right is the only tooth that is sore at the moment. My teeth still feel weird, but I can eat stuff like pizza and pasta now. It gets better! Ibuprofen and wax are your friends :P

lm2812

#5 Post by lm2812 »

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement, today is day 5 and feels slightly less like I have a mouth full of marbles, eating is getting better but I am not sure about eating in front of other people, how on earth do you all cope with food getting stuck in your braces? !!

SunshineRay

#6 Post by SunshineRay »

Im pretty picky about what I eat in front of others. I dont eat pepper on my food at work anymore because Im afraid there will be a piece I cant get out. (I dont brush at work....bathrooms not the best)

kathydell

#7 Post by kathydell »

Welcome! You're in good company here. I'm 47 and got my braces about 5 months ago. I know it sounds cliche but stick with it. It really does get better. For the first few weeks, I couldn't chew because my top & bottom teeth didn't touch ANYWHERE. And, I kept having mini panic attacks where I wanted to call the ortho and have them taken off ASAP. I swear it's a mind game. I kept having a talk with myself saying if these kids can do it, so can I. I really believe that we have a bit of a tougher time adjusting because we're adults and change is hard even if it's good change that we signed up for! Keep at it. I can't say I don't notice them any more because that would be a lie. But, I become less and less obsessed with them with each day that goes by. You will learn all sorts of tricks like making sure you have a glass of water or a drink whenever you eat - you'll be amazed how much you can "swish out" of your braces if you're eating in public before you have to go brush. You'll learn to adapt pretty quickly and be proud of yourself that you did.

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

Do you have a WaterPik? Those things are golden.

marybee

#9 Post by marybee »

Water will be your best friend. Not only for swishing out the gunk in your braces but keeping you mouth from drying out. :yuck:

Love my Water Pik!

cakehat

#10 Post by cakehat »

I got my braces a week ago so know how you feel! They seem to feel a bit better each day!

Nana51

#11 Post by Nana51 »

I'm 18 days in and would just suggest, as far as eating, that you just eat small bites. From a technical standpoint, I have to place food IN my mouth as I think I couldn't bite cotton candy in two right now. I have open bite anyway but not forever!!! Placing the food in my mouth avoids the problem of getting food in my front brackets. I guess each person would be different in that way. Like most things in life, trial and error.....you'll get it figured out. Be sure to update us on your progress.

lm2812

#12 Post by lm2812 »

kathydell wrote:
> Welcome! You're in good company here. I'm 47 and got my braces about 5 months ago.
> I know it sounds cliche but stick with it. It really does get better. For the
> first few weeks, I couldn't chew because my top & bottom teeth didn't touch ANYWHERE.
> And, I kept having mini panic attacks where I wanted to call the ortho and have
> them taken off ASAP. I swear it's a mind game. I kept having a talk with myself
> saying if these kids can do it, so can I. I really believe that we have a bit of
> a tougher time adjusting because we're adults and change is hard even if it's good
> change that we signed up for! Keep at it. I can't say I don't notice them any
> more because that would be a lie. But, I become less and less obsessed with them
> with each day that goes by. You will learn all sorts of tricks like making sure
> you have a glass of water or a drink whenever you eat - you'll be amazed how much
> you can "swish out" of your braces if you're eating in public before you have to
> go brush. You'll learn to adapt pretty quickly and be proud of yourself that you
> did.
I can really relate to the "mini panic attack" feeling I have had this for the last couple of days but have tried to adopt a "mind over matter strategy" , I have also realised carrying a small bottle of water everywhere is a very good idea! I am going to see about purchasing a waterpik as i do find cleaning a bit tricky.

I have waited a long time to do this and have saved up for a year so am determined to see it through (i think !)

Louise

lm2812

#13 Post by lm2812 »

not quite sure i have got the hang of quoting someone else???

Funtobeme

#14 Post by Funtobeme »

I'm going on two weeks here and just now feel like I'm getting used to them as well. It seems to be getting better. I talk to people all day (hairstylist) and thought my standard metal brackets would bother me more, self esteem wise, but they really haven't. If anything I'm feeling like a teenager again! Lol I'm 35 :)
It helps to know there are people right there with ya. It gets better.

Kezza

#15 Post by Kezza »

It WILL get easier! I'm about 4 months in and get my bottom brace put on next month...If I'm eating out I always carry a bottle of water in my bag and have a good swill around after I eat...that usually works. I always carry a little bag containing a toothbrush, paste, Interdental brushes and a small mirror if I need a better clean while out and about.
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.