Second guessing myself now!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lorianne

Second guessing myself now!

#1 Post by Lorianne »

One minute I'm excited as heck, the next I'm second guessing myself. I am thinking maybe I need more than just the speedy Six Months Smiles braces, but rather should go for the whole traditional treatment instead. I think my back teeth could probably use some tweaking too and I'm not sure that they'll make any adjustments to anything beyond my front teeth with this speedy plan.

I'm making an appt with an Ortho for a consultation and second opinion. Meanwhile, here's a quick pic. If you're looking straight on, the left side teeth seem more slanted in than the right. I want those teeth moved out a little to even things up on both sides. Anybody know if they can do that with 6 Mos Smile braces?

Obviously, my sticky-out lateral incisor needs straightening and my central incisors need to come out (they're slighly indented in) and up. Plus I have an overbite. Has anybody had more than just front teeth adjusted with Six Months style braces? They've already told me I will probably need 9 mos, which is fine. I think the more time, the better actually. So, why not go the full monty and just get the longer term treatment to really fix everything. I guess I'm concerned that I'll still not be satisfied afterwards and have to either live with it, or do it again anyway.

isthistaken

Re: Second guessing myself now!

#2 Post by isthistaken »

You should definitely consider full-term treatment if you have bite issues. I don't know anything about SMS but it doesn't sound like it would address major issues. I'm your same age and have metal traditional braces, 5 months in, maybe 10 or so to go, so a third done already--addressing crowding, overbite, overjet, misalignment. My take is at our age we don't want to waste any time either in treatment or in making the wrong choice of treatment, aka Invisalign. I am your same age and don't want to be in braces longer than necessary but also absolutely do not want a redo.

Not sure why you say you need extractions, your teeth don't look that crowded to me. In fact, you have beautiful teeth. If it weren't for the bite issues you mention, if it were I, I might go for the SMS just because it doesn't look to me like it would take a lot to make your smile perfect.

Oh, wait, maybe by out, you meant tipped out. Whew, don't pull those pretty teeth! :?

kids041

#3 Post by kids041 »

Well let me just add my 2 cents here...
If you are going to spend all the time, money, pain, pain, and trouble IMO you should go for the full treatment. Fix all of your issues, and be totally happy with the results. :)

Lorianne

#4 Post by Lorianne »

isthistaken wrote:You should definitely consider full-term treatment if you have bite issues. I don't know anything about SMS but it doesn't sound like it would address major issues. I'm your same age and have metal traditional braces, 5 months in, maybe 10 or so to go, so a third done already--addressing crowding, overbite, overjet, misalignment. My take is at our age we don't want to waste any time either in treatment or in making the wrong choice of treatment, aka Invisalign. I am your same age and don't want to be in braces longer than necessary but also absolutely do not want a redo.

Not sure why you say you need extractions, your teeth don't look that crowded to me. In fact, you have beautiful teeth. If it weren't for the bite issues you mention, if it were I, I might go for the SMS just because it doesn't look to me like it would take a lot to make your smile perfect.

Oh, wait, maybe by out, you meant tipped out. Whew, don't pull those pretty teeth! :?
yes, we are same age and sounds like we have similar thoughts in terms of treatment. I figure it's taken me this long to make the decision (I've thought about braces all my adult life but was too chicken to make the leap I guess) I want it done right the first time.

I didn't mean extractions and would never pull out my front teeth. yikes! haha! What I meant was the my front teeth are slightly tipped in and they need to be brought a little further out with the braces, that's all. According to my dentist, my bit is ok, but i'm going to chat with them again this week and ask more questions. I'm probably going thru something like "buyers remorse", but it has nothing to do with money really. It's that feeling you get after making a big decision, that you might be making the wrong decision! p.s. thanks also for the nice compliment!! that made my night!

Lorianne

#5 Post by Lorianne »

kids041 wrote:Well let me just add my 2 cents here...
If you are going to spend all the time, money, pain, pain, and trouble IMO you should go for the full treatment. Fix all of your issues, and be totally happy with the results. :)
yes, am definitely considering that for sure. Will be doing lots more homework the next couple of weeks.

isthistaken

#6 Post by isthistaken »

If you're like me, you will regret a decision if you did not fully consider it even if it was the right decision. It is not necessarily that all that time contemplating a decision yields a better result, but if it doesn't turn out you don't blame yourself for not taking your time to consider all the options. So, does anybody want to buy a Toyota that runs like crap that I bought after driving once? :oops:

Lorianne

#7 Post by Lorianne »

isthistaken wrote:If you're like me, you will regret a decision if you did not fully consider it even if it was the right decision. It is not necessarily that all that time contemplating a decision yields a better result, but if it doesn't turn out you don't blame yourself for not taking your time to consider all the options. So, does anybody want to buy a Toyota that runs like crap that I bought after driving once? :oops:
exactly! I know if I don't at least explore the other options, i'll kick myself later if anything doesn't end up right. And, hopefully, after paying for your Ortho bills, you can lose that Toyota and buy yourself a new ride to go along with your new smile! ;-)

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

Lorianne wrote:
isthistaken wrote:If you're like me, you will regret a decision if you did not fully consider it even if it was the right decision. It is not necessarily that all that time contemplating a decision yields a better result, but if it doesn't turn out you don't blame yourself for not taking your time to consider all the options. So, does anybody want to buy a Toyota that runs like crap that I bought after driving once? :oops:
exactly! I know if I don't at least explore the other options, i'll kick myself later if anything doesn't end up right. And, hopefully, after paying for your Ortho bills, you can lose that Toyota and buy yourself a new ride to go along with your new smile! ;-)
:thumbsup:

NeilH

#9 Post by NeilH »

It's probably worth thinking about going for a full treatment plan if you want some really great long term results. If you take a look at the dentists pages of the SMS website you might get a more balanced opinion of what this option can offer you vs traditional orthodontics. There are plenty of people on this forum who have had SMS and have achieved some great results but you need to go with whatever is right for you and your circumstances and what your orthodontist recommends.

plugnickel69

#10 Post by plugnickel69 »

Personally, my thoughts are always if you're going to do anything, do it right. While cosmetics are important, having the best functional and stable bite so that one can keep healthy teeth for life is the most important consideration. Please investigate complete treatment and I hope you are seeing a certified ortho, not a dentist doing orthodontics after a two-day course.

Realizingadream

#11 Post by Realizingadream »

Lorianne:

I waited and waited to get my braces. I am as old as dirt. That said, I wish I had had my bite AND my teeth straightened out many, many years ago. I already look nicer. I cannot believe how very crookedy my teeth were, when I started, now that I compared the before with the "almost after." My bite is better--I never knew how terrible my bite was. My teeth, even with braces, are cleaner, because I can brush and floss them without them being all jammed up on top of each other.

Do your research and then pick the best practitioner to do the work for you. I wish you the best. I have about a year to go, I think. I am really pleased with my progress thus far.

Real

paulas1

#12 Post by paulas1 »

I have 6ms and i think they're awesome. They are on 4 months now and are coming off next week. An orhodontist had said i'd need traditional for 16months.

In saying that, I don't have any bite issues. I believe they can correct minor issues though. Best to have a shop around and do your research

Lorianne

#13 Post by Lorianne »

Hi Paula, any chance you can post photos of your progress? Would be so helpful to see! Thanks!