7 months & seeing no difference,I think my overbite is worse

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Harmony

7 months & seeing no difference,I think my overbite is worse

#1 Post by Harmony »

Hi everyone

Oh I'm on a real downer lately and just feel I'm not seeing any results! I'm at the 7 month mark and I have a 12mm overbite overjet and too be honest I feel it's getting worse :-( I got a back wisdom tooth out a few months ago (for surgery purposes) but I just feel my overbite is worse and when my mouth jaw is relaxed I feel like I've the 'goofy' look and my top teeth sit on my lower lip alot!

Has anyone else ever had any experience like this? Getting another adjustment in a month's time and I don't see any difference in my top teeth - they aren't really crooked anyway!

After braces I've too get jaw surgery too bring my lower jaw forward which I didn't wish too get done but I feel now I'm going too have to go for it :-( Has anyone else felt their overbite overjet got worse? Not sure what too do but it's getting me really down!

Harmony

(first photo was taken the day I got my top braces on - have bottom braces on now - last 3 photo's was taken last month, the last one is me smiling whilst trying too bring my lower jaw forward and I'm just not sure how it looks :-( )

Bikerchick85

Re: 7 months & seeing no difference,I think my overbite is w

#2 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I'm sorry you're feeling down! ;( those days come and go with the process. I am also at the 7 month mark. I had a little bit of an overbite but I had extractions to relieve the small overbite and severe crowding I had. I think your smile and teeth are beautiful and you would definitely have a great result with the lower jaw advancement. Your overbite seems skeletal. I'm sure that surgery is a huge expense for you but would result in the best outcome. I don't see any other way to fix the overbite without it. How much longer are you supposed to be in braces? I think things always get worse before they get better. I have down days too! Sending lots of hugs!

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

bmueller

#3 Post by bmueller »

Have you been wearing elastics? If not, I wouldn't expect the overjet to improve.

Maybe you are just in a stage where the ortho is straightening out the teeth. I don't know what the before pictures looked like, but maybe the front teeth were tipped in and now they need to be tipped out to be straightened properly.

12 mm is a lot! I can't image a significant reduction in that without either extractions or jaw surgery. Often you can qualify for jaw surgery at 4 mm overjet!

Ask your ortho why you haven't seen the progress you expected. Maybe it's as simple as you're not in that phase of the treatment yet.

Harmony

#4 Post by Harmony »

Thank you Bikerchick85 and bmueller for your replies :-)

Those hugs have made me feel better Bikerchick85 and yes I do have my down days and well done you at the 7 month mark. Have too say it has flew in and I just try and keep focusing on the end result and how happy I'll be. Strangely my ortho can't really give me a time frame as he says it just depends on how quick my teeth move but I'm going too talk too him at the next adjustment too see what he says. I just feel that I'd love my surgery done now soon as I have too wear braces afterwards and I just wish the surgery could take place soon - getting impatient!! lol Yes my overbite is skeletal and I know now that braces alone won't fix my problem unfortunately :-(

bmuller I did think I was getting elastics at my last visit but I didn't so not sure if I am or not to be honest. Before the braces my top teeth were kind of slanted in at the side if that makes sense and I remember the ortho saying that they need too be brought out for a more rounder smile. I know the last photo I put on mightn't just be perfect (the one with me bringing my jaw forward) but I'm slightly worried incase I be left chinny/pointy? Can't be having that either and it is a worry as well, but for me I feel I'm really going too have to go down the road of surgery! :oops:

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

It's hard to tell but I think I see quite a difference, especially if you look at the lips rather than just the teeth. I noticed the same difference in my own smile. Before and at the beginning of treatment my smile looked different, not the right shape, and now it has a more pleasant, curved shape as the teeth and bite are moving into their proper positions.

Snowglobe32

#6 Post by Snowglobe32 »

I see a huge difference between the last two photos! I'm wondering what everyone else is looking at. :wink:

isthistaken

#7 Post by isthistaken »

Snowglobe32 wrote:I see a huge difference between the last two photos! I'm wondering what everyone else is looking at. :wink:
I believe she has shifted her lower jaw forward in that photo.

Harmony

#8 Post by Harmony »

Yeah that last photo (above) is me moving my lower jaw forward too see what my profile would look like. Not sure what I think as I think my lips look funny in it and I hope it doesn't leave me chiny looking :(

However, I know now I need jaw surgery as my side profile is bad! (see below)

bmueller

#9 Post by bmueller »

If you have an overly prominent chin (which the surgeon can confirm) they can also reduce the chin when moving the mandible forward. Usually surgeons take into account aesthetics as well as function when deciding which bones need to be moved to create the most balanced result.

sirwired

#10 Post by sirwired »

Remember that pre-surgical orthodontics is VERY different from orthodontics without surgery. The job of pre-surgery ortho is to put your teeth into the positions they'll need to be in after the surgery. That means that your bite will usually get worse pre-surgery. The reason for this is it means all the surgeon has to do is cut your jaw loose, and the pieces will "snap" into a well-integrated bite. If you had the surgery first, the surgeon would just kind of have to slide stuff around and guess at what the ortho could clean up afterwards.

I would not expect the ortho to clean up your overbite; that'll be the surgeons job. The ortho's job is to put your teeth into a nice, straight, arch, and remove any "compensation" your teeth made for the skeletal problems.