Let the Journey Begin....

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kids041

Let the Journey Begin....

#1 Post by kids041 »

After lurking here for over a month, I have decided to start my own braces journal. I am not sure that anyone will even care about the details, or take the time to read it, but that is ok with me. I am just wanting to track the progress I make.
Back story....
I have always wanted braces. Why? I don't know, maybe because that is what all the "cool kids" were getting. I don't know. I just know that I always wanted them. I knew that they could help my teeth, which are only a little crooked. I just thought/think that they are a way to better your appearance, without surgery or other invasive procedures. My parents could never afford something like that, so I never asked about it.

Fast forward to 7 years ago...
My daughter has always hated her teeth. From the time she was like 8 she hated the way one of her teeth stuck out, so she would not smile with teeth showing. I took her for an ortho consult. She was going to need braces... big surprise...
Of course being there started me thinking about my teeth again... :?

Super fast forward to last winter....
Finally able to afford braces for my daughter last November. I am excited to finally start getting pictures of her with TEETH showing!!! :-* I am still thinking of my teeth....Tell her that I want to get my teeth fixed (which by this point are getting very worn down in the front from grinding/deep bite/clenching...). She wants me to wait till hers are done so I am not *trying to be like her* (yah typical 14 yo teenager!!! :x ) I tell her that I will...

Today.....
I have decided after seeing the beautiful teeth that she now has, that I am NOT going to wait.... I am going to do it now, and she had just better adjust to it. She is fine with my decision now (AMAZING how 9 months can help with the maturity of a child!! :!:) She is actually enjoying telling me all about the different things I will be experiencing, and how to handle them. I think it is going to be something that we can bond over. :wink: (I sure need to find things like that- the older she gets.. but that is a whole other story...)I am getting excited for tomorrow morning. She is even going to go with me for moral support :jump: . I sure think she is a great daughter! :heart:

Tomorrow...
Going to skip the coffee... :!: I know, I know.... WHAT am I thinking ??? I am thinking that I will be nervous, and don't want to have to make too many bathroom breaks during the whole process... :paperbag: . I am thinking I will treat my self to a wonderful Dutch Bro coffee after I am done...My apt is at 7:30 in the morning, and I should be done by 9 at the latest. My ortho does the indirect bonding method- so the brackets go on in like 30 min or so. I watched my daughter last Nov. get hers and it was quite speedy. :HugeGrin: Thank goodness!! I wonder how they are going to feel... I even experimented with some wax blobs on my teeth one day to try to simulate the feeling (I got the idea from someone on this board, but can't remember who.. but thanks whoever you are... it was a great idea!)... I know, I know... silly.. but it was fun to try to see how it was going to feel somewhat..... :jokerlaugh: I HOPE I don't become a bigger baby then my daughter (who has been quite the trooper as far as pain goes!). My hubby just smiles and says that I probably will be the bigger whiner... which I think I just may :oops: ....

Well that is it for now....I will update tomorrow after the braces are on :shock:

JeniK

Re: Let the Journey Begin....

#2 Post by JeniK »

Kids041....Best of luck tomorrow! Looking forward to hearing how it went for you!! :-*

kids041

#3 Post by kids041 »

JeniK wrote:Kids041....Best of luck tomorrow! Looking forward to hearing how it went for you!! :-*

I certainly will JeniK! I know your apt is the next day... good luck for you too :D Let us know how it goes

JeniK

#4 Post by JeniK »

:thumbsup: Kids041!!!

kids041

#5 Post by kids041 »

I am in the waiting room..... Eeep!

SunshineRay

#6 Post by SunshineRay »

eeek! You will be fine. It will be over before you know it.....unless you are going to my ortho where everything takes 50 hours. haha

kids041

#7 Post by kids041 »

I survived :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kids041

#8 Post by kids041 »

Wow! those pics are huge!!

chichi

#9 Post by chichi »

:jump: They look great! You already have beautiful teeth a nice wide arch and they're going to look even better when you're done :D
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Candyland

#10 Post by Candyland »

Wow they look great! Your teeth are very nice to begin with and they will be fantastic after braces :D How long do they think you will need them? I wouldn't think it would be very long but sometimes you can't tell.

kids041

#11 Post by kids041 »

Candyland wrote:Wow they look great! Your teeth are very nice to begin with and they will be fantastic after braces :D How long do they think you will need them? I wouldn't think it would be very long but sometimes you can't tell.
Candyland and Chichi thanks for the props. :D I thought my teeth were straighter then they actually are once I saw the brackts and wires on! wow... really emphasizes the crookedness :-+ !!!

My ortho has told me that I will need them for about 2.5 years. It is more for my deep bite that I have braces. I need to stop hitting my lower front teeth on the inside of my top teeth. I am wearing them down, and have already broken one in the past. I am trying to prevent that from happening again :soremouth:

My biggest observation about today is that WAX is my friend! My very best friend :huh:

I have wax on all of my teeth except for my 6 top front teeth. I think it is the hooks on the side teeth, the very back brackets that don't have a wire connected to them, and the lower front brackets... well heck! I is just about all of them that are hurting/rubbing right now. :cry:
I am self medicating with pain reliever and a glass of wine :jump: :jump:

mysticgirl916

#12 Post by mysticgirl916 »

I've had them on my top teeth for about two weeks, it certainly has been a learning experience for me

kids041

#13 Post by kids041 »

mysticgirl916 wrote:I've had them on my top teeth for about two weeks, it certainly has been a learning experience for me
Well one day 1.... Total learning experience....

Seems that food does not taste the same when I can only chew it with 2 teeth. :Questions: Does anyone else think that, or am I just alone on that?

SunshineRay

#14 Post by SunshineRay »

Nope here too. I am 6 weeks in and still only chew with my back molars. I keep thinking they are going to be so wore down when this is over. I miss being able to bite things.

kids041

#15 Post by kids041 »

SunshineRay wrote:Nope here too. I am 6 weeks in and still only chew with my back molars. I keep thinking they are going to be so wore down when this is over. I miss being able to bite things.
Well I don't have to worry about that!! I have these huge molar build ups on the only 2 teeth that now touch.. they make this weird clacking noise when I chew, which makes eating even stranger. :-+ They don't even feel like "my teeth".. as in my teeth have feeling, and of course the build ups do not, so when I chew, I don't even have the sensation of chewing and realizing the food is between my teeth... sigh.....

Well today is the "next" day. I have had these lovely pieces of metal glued to my teeth for just about 24 hours now... My teeth are not hurting, but my lips sure are taking a beating. :-+ It is the hooks that are the worst. My ortho puts brackets with hooks on every side tooth, so I have plenty of hooks to catch my lips and cheeks. :soremouth: I had some poky wire (I assume) stick into my cheek this morning! :shock: and my lower front teeth are so close together because of crowding, that with the addition of the tension the wire puts on them, I can no longer get floss between them! :ThumbsDown:
I am going to try to keep talking to a minimum today, so I don't have to use too much wax. I am worried that if I become dependent on it, my lips/cheeks will not get "tough" and I will always have sore spots. :huh:
I am thankful for this forum where I can type my complaints/feelings/frustrations/joys. I can't walk around in my daily life complaining all the time!!
Thanks for all the kind words from everyone!