Photos and Braces, Hide them or Flaunt them?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Photos and Braces, Hide them or Flaunt them?

#1 Post by oldfart »

As much as I like to post photos on this forum (and look at others), I can honestly say I don't think I have any photos of myself smiling enough to show my braces posted anywhere except anonymously.

(I think that makes sense.)

So when you have friends take your picture, or update your facebook, or other social media sites. Do you hide them, or smile big and beautiful and show the braces off. Four months into this I am smiling good about 90% of the time to where I don't hide them, but still not confident enough to have them show up in photos. And especially not to be posted online.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

kids041

Re: Photos and Braces, Hide them or Flaunt them?

#2 Post by kids041 »

To answer your question... I will proudly show them off in photos! I may even post a photo of myself smiling for my FB profile pic :). I don't have them yet... 12 days... but I am glad to be doing something for myself.. even if I am 43! :mrgreen:

oldfart

#3 Post by oldfart »

another Oregonian. Cool.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

nellarmonia

#4 Post by nellarmonia »

I wasn't planning on flaunting it on Facebook at ALL at first. I was so embarrassed to be 31 in braces. Then 3 days after I got my braces I did a Color Me Rad run with some friends and they ALL posted photos on Facebook and tagged me. They outted me! Haha! Mine are clear so they're not as noticeable, but I still wasn't ready to be open about it with some people I haven't talked to since college, judgmental in-laws, etc. 6 weeks later my teeth are already noticeably straighter so I smile big and post proudly.

kids041

#5 Post by kids041 »

oldfart wrote:another Oregonian. Cool.
hahah... you know it :) :BigGrin:

isthistaken

#6 Post by isthistaken »

Moreso than before I got braces. By the way, are you all Oregonians or actual SNOBs. :lol:

kids041

#7 Post by kids041 »

I am an Oregonian for sure! :) Have lived here for most of my life. Beautiful area, lots of trees where I live, and just a couple of hours from the Oregon coast. Who could ask for more?? :D

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

Okay, so how do you pronounce "Oregon?" :lol:

Matilda

#9 Post by Matilda »

oldfart wrote:Do you hide them, or smile big and beautiful and show the braces off.
I hide them.

Kipepeo

#10 Post by Kipepeo »

My sister lives in Oregon!

I smile big, most of the time. Now that my braces are off, it'll be much easier! There were some photos where I didn't want them to show, but for the most part, snap away.

Speaking of that, once I get a decent shot, I'll post my full brace free face on here.

Tobilei

#11 Post by Tobilei »

I have a couple of photo's on my facebook with my braces on, but because they're clear you can't really see them (you can in one but only if you look really hard). In general I'm happy to smile for photo's that are only going to be seen by my family, especially when I have something special on like our whole family being together or seeing my cousin for the first time in 3 years or if I'm with my Grandma who's 87. I wouldn't go out and post a whole lot of close up selfies and I don't post my actual teeth pics on facebook that I put on here annonymously. I don't really want my facebook "friends" to see. If I have a friend who's interested I might PM them a pic if they asked I guess.

kathydell

#12 Post by kathydell »

In the beginning, I smiled big. But, I saw such mixed results when other people posted pictures of me on FB, that now I hide them a little bit depending on who's taking the picture. Some people just have a knack for posting the most unflattering picture of you on line anyway, braces or not.

jem

#13 Post by jem »

I have generally just smiled my normal smile for photos; anything else can look insincere. But I avoid social networking sites as far as possible and would not have wanted my braces to be "outed" to the world in general unless I chose for that to happen.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

MrsCharisma

#14 Post by MrsCharisma »

Flaunt 'em. I have a big smile and smile all. of. the. time! So I haven't really been hiding them...though I'm not on FB or Twitter or Instagram...LOL!

But yesterday, my kids aunt asked why I had my floss threaders and I replied, "For my braces". She said, "You don't have braces" and I flashed them to her :mrgreen:

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

Ciara

#15 Post by Ciara »

My attitude has become, "Who cares? They're just braces." I have a picture of myself on FB and my braces are clearly visible. And, I don't care. Nobody has commented or said anything negative.