IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maeby

Re: IMPACTED CANINES CLUB

#226 Post by maeby »

Congrats on the good news sablequeenie!

I wanted to pop in and give a visual update on my progress since the surgery two months ago. You can see the progression through the healing process (with stitches) to the point where the chains were "activated" at two weeks, and then to today! I'm so very excited that the first tooth is coming through. The other one has a lot further to move, so time will tell how well that one will work.

Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012

sablequeenie

#227 Post by sablequeenie »

That's great progress maeby! Now that the oral surgery's through you're done with the hardest part imo; best of luck in getting those canines to come down!

That being said, just thought I'd pop in with the most recent update on my own progress. I had my next ortho appointment today since last month's. As he said before, my ortho decided to do away with the last of the button-and-chain that the oral surgeon gave me for my exposure in December to put an actual bracket on the exposed tooth which has a tip that has fully emerged from my gum. However, they DIDN'T tell me that the oral surgeon had put such a thick layer of cement over the button OR that they were going to detach it from my tooth with a pair of dental pliers and a grip that made it feel like the poor thing was going to break off! OUUUUUUUUCH, that was a bee-yatch to have removed! :cry: Not fun. AT.ALL. Anyways, good news is that my tooth is now officially braced and according to my ortho, should be coming down the rest of the way over the next two months. It's tilted sideways though, so at my next appointment hopefully it'll be grown in enough for them to put a clear bracket on it like the rest of my upper's so they can turn it the right way; there wasn't quite enough tooth exposed for them to use a clear one this time around, so it's got to have a small metal bracket for now. Oh well, progress is progress right?

Hope everyone else's impacted canine treatments are going well!

Rgreb

#228 Post by Rgreb »

It's so encouraging to read about impacted canines moving down! I just got my braces on Wednesday and had my impacted canine exposed on Friday. I'm 28 and I have high hopes that my impacted canine will come down quickly and easily after reading lots of positive results on this site. I hope to be posting my progress soon! As for now I will keep eating my soft foods because my teeth are SORE! :)

braceface:)

#229 Post by braceface:) »

Hi y'all. Just updating since having my impacted canine surgery in October 2011. The surgery went very well. It seemed like the canine was making great progress, every visit to my orthodontist a new link on the gold chain was exposed. :tingrin:
However it wasn't until October 2012 that the tooth actually broke through the gum! It seemed like forever but I'm now proud to rock a full smile instead of a black hole! It's now June 2013 and my tooth is almost completely in place.
Unfortunately my canine decided to grow facing inward so it had to be rotated 180 degrees so the correct side would be facing out. Did anyone else experience this? I'm just grateful I was lucky enough to have a cooperative canine at 25 years old!!!! :BigGrin:
[/url]

southernbelle

#230 Post by southernbelle »

UPDATE:

I had my tooth exposure surgery on May 16th (It's been exactly 3 weeks). I also had my baby tooth extracted. I just got back from the Ortho and they see my tooth!! They say it's moving along just great. I go every 3 weeks now to get it tighter and they said by the next appointment I should see lots of tooth!! Crossing my fingers that everything continues to go smooth.

About the surgery-

I had it done on a Thursday and went back to work the following Monday. I was still a little sore and it hurt to smile/laugh because of the stitches. By mid-week I was just fine. The first couple of days were rough and milkshakes became my best friend. I had a tissue graft back in Jan 2012 and that surgery was A LOT worse than this one! I am 24 years old, so another adult here having the surgery :)
Upper InVu Ceramic, lower metal, est. treatment time 24-30 months

April 10th- Round 1 of Spacers
April 24th- Brackets were installed
May 9th- Second round of Spacers
May 23rd- Archwires and Pendulum Appliance installed
July 9th- 1st Adjustment

sablequeenie

#231 Post by sablequeenie »

Congratulations on all the good news everyone!

Well, it's been about two weeks since I got a bracket on my exposed tooth, and WHOA have I been seeing some progress! This tooth has been moving like butter! It's funny, I kind of feel like I've come full circle in this process back to when I first got braces; my canine has come down to the point where it literally looks just like the baby tooth I used to have :lol: The 'meh' news is that I had some intense pain in the nerves in the roof of my mouth at first (my ortho said it was prob because the tooth was moving so fast and never before exposed gums/nerves were getting uncovered instantly instead of gradually) and that at my next appointment they'll have to replace the metal bracket they put on their with a clear like my other clear ceramics on top so that the tooth will be turned 180 degrees. The good news though is that finally, FINALLY I don't have a gaping hole on the side of my mouth and I don't have to smile/laugh with my mouth closed or with my hand over it!!! :dance: I'm just so glad to finally know for sure that this IS going to work, I haven't wasted all of my money and eventually I WILL have the perfect smile I've always wanted. I've still got a while more to go in my treatment, but my progress so far has already made the whole process worth it in my eyes.

Jjlin24

#232 Post by Jjlin24 »

My impacted canine came out when I was about 18. Lucky for me. But I've ignored it for the past years. Late 2012 I decided to get braces to aligned my canine. I'm 7 months in and the canine is finally somewhat aligned

xcarlsx92

#233 Post by xcarlsx92 »

[quote="sablequeenie"]Congratulations on all the good news everyone!

Well, it's been about two weeks since I got a bracket on my exposed tooth, and WHOA have I been seeing some progress! This tooth has been moving like butter! It's funny, I kind of feel like I've come full circle in this process back to when I first got braces; my canine has come down to the point where it literally looks just like the baby tooth I used to have :lol: The 'meh' news is that I had some intense pain in the nerves in the roof of my mouth at first (my ortho said it was prob because the tooth was moving so fast and never before exposed gums/nerves were getting uncovered instantly instead of gradually) and that at my next appointment they'll have to replace the metal bracket they put on their with a clear like my other clear ceramics on top so that the tooth will be turned 180 degrees. The good news though is that finally, FINALLY I don't have a gaping hole on the side of my mouth and I don't have to smile/laugh with my mouth closed or with my hand over it!!! :dance: I'm just so glad to finally know for sure that this IS going to work, I haven't wasted all of my money and eventually I WILL have the perfect smile I've always wanted. I've still got a while more to go in my treatment, but my progress so far has already made the whole process worth it in my eyes.[/quote]

Sablequeenie - you dont know how much relief your story is giving me!! Im only just going through the beginning of bringing the impacted canine down with the chain, but Im hoping very soon that my tooth will start to show, it seems like its taking ages!! Ive had my chain attached to my brace wire now for approx 3 months its moving very very S-L-O-W-L-Y haha If theres any advice that you could give me it would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Carly

sablequeenie

#234 Post by sablequeenie »

Glad to hear my story could be of some help; I was so nervous this time last year about getting my braces on, so I try to explain as much as I can about my treatment to put other scared souls like me out of their misery lol.

Sorry to hear your tooth's not moving as fast as you'd like it to, though initially I felt the same way 2 months after my exposure (felt like I would have a gap FOREVER), then at the four month mark things just REALLY started picking up, and that was before they bracketed my tooth. With impacted canines, though you just never sometimes; my ortho and oral surgeon told me the movement time can be as brief as 3 months and as long as 1 year; I was at the middle mark at about 6 months. It all depends on where the canine is in your mouth. Don't lose heart though; you're doing the absolute best thing for your teeth right now, and that's saying a lot, considering as paranoid adults I'm sure we both considered just doing nothing. Did your oral surgeon give you an estimate on how long the tooth might take? After the surgery, mine had a more concrete answer than by just looking at my x-ray.

xcarlsx92

#235 Post by xcarlsx92 »

Thanks for the reply sablequeenie
It seems that way but all I'm thinking at the moment is 'Good things come to those who wait' lol, mine is slowly starting to move more than at the beginning so hopefully this is good :) My Canine was horizontally above my front tooth and it had taken the top of the second tooth off so that second tooth in had to be removed as it was a 'dead tooth' in the surgeons eyes, so i will need to have a bridge (I think thats what they said haha) to fill the second tooth but they are currently just bringing that impacted canine down first before anything else.

I sure hope im doing the best thing for my teeth, I didnt exactly have a great experience with dentists in my childhood so this was alot to ask for in my eyes! :) But Im glad Ive done this now and Im just excited to see the end results.

I seen the orthodontist today and she basically said she couldn't tell me how long it would take for the tooth to come down, because when they stuck the bracket and chain onto the canine, it had 20 links, then they stitched up the chain and left it hanging and cut the links to a considerable length and unless its on my records of how many they cut off (which she said was unlikely), only then would they be able to tell me how long to go. I did ask for an x-ray but she said that they are too busy today but maybe next time they will try for me. But hopefully I wont need it because it will be showing hopefully! Fingers crossed! :)

I decided to go a bit wild today and have orange and pink bands today which is very wild for me considering I only usually have just the silver haha

But if you do have any other advice it would be appreciated!! :)

jheart

#236 Post by jheart »

I found this forum while searching for advice. My 11-year-old has not lost his right canine. At his April 2013 dental check up, x-rays showed the permanent tooth lying horizontally above it. He also has a small "tooth ball" without roots...like an extra THIRD tooth in this area. I had an ortho consult in April and an oral surgeon consult this week (July). They need to remove this extra tooth material and pull the baby tooth. They want to do the bracket and chain thing, but I have not decided on braces yet. Is there ANY chance that this horizontal permanent tooth will make its way down by itself? Is there a time frame that I can safely "wait it out" to see if it will budge before having them reopen the gum material to get the bracket and chain on, then pouring $7000 into braces for teeth that are otherwise perfectly straight? Thank you for any input.

xcarlsx92

#237 Post by xcarlsx92 »

Hi there
it is always best to do it early in the childhood, my ortho told me that if I had my procedure done when I was 14-15 years old it would have been alot quicker and easier for my teeth to respond as they were still growing and moving. I am now 20 and have had the procedure and it is taking a little longer. I would personally ask the ortho if theres any chance you can see if the tooth will move down on its own but usually they can tell - like they could see that mine was moving around the gums and damaging other teeth so had to be removed - and quick!

I hope this may help you :)

Spring1onu

#238 Post by Spring1onu »

Hey everyone! Just checking in. We've had a lot going on the last couple months. We were unfortunately hit in the May 20th tornado and lost everything. The process has been slow but we are getting back on our feet.

I have had my braces on now almost 3 months(woo-hoo!!) and had the exposure and bracketing surgery last Friday. Things are healing up nicely; a little sore but nothing too bad. The chain doesn't look as terrible as I thought it would - as a matter of fact, if you didn't know it was there you might miss it. Fingers crossed that I see some movement in the next couple months :-)

Have lots of catching up to do but just wanted to say hello and give a small update! Hope everyone's impacted anyone journey is going well!!

Spring1onu

#239 Post by Spring1onu »

Oops - I mean impacted canine, not anyone - LOL.

xcarlsx92

#240 Post by xcarlsx92 »

I have a quick question, I hope someone could help??

I have a chain on my impacted canine, and im starting to feel alot of pressure in the gum where the tooth is supposed to be coming down. The gum is also quite sensitive, does this mean that the tooth could possibly be starting to make its way down through the gum??

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!