Molar bands

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pearlies

Molar bands

#1 Post by pearlies »

Is it commonplace for orthos to put molar bands on all molars rather than brackets? Did you all do the spacers thing as a first step?

This seems so old school! I don't have any crowns or fillings on my molars...there's also no talk about using appliances other than some rubber bands, so why do I need molar bands? :shock:

joeyyeo

Re: Molar bands

#2 Post by joeyyeo »

This is individual to each ortho, as all of them have different approaches. My ortho did it the traditional way as well, spacers first then molar bands. Some prefer molar bands to brackets as they are more durable, especially since the molars are usually used to chew, the brackets have a tendency to break off. I guess there is no difference between brackets or molar bands, it's just the ortho's preference. I've known of people who got brackets first, but because they kept breaking off, their ortho decided to use molar bands instead.
Upper braces off after 636 days!

Candyland

#3 Post by Candyland »

I do not have any molar bands. I was told the only time my ortho uses them is if the brackets won't stay on. I am soo happy I did not have to have them after reading all the horror stories about spacers. :D

pearlies

#4 Post by pearlies »

Thanks for the feedback, Joey and Candyland!

From a patient perspective, should I be trying to avoid molar bands if my case doesn't seem to indicate they are necessary? Are bands more comfortable than wearing brackets on the molars or are bands harder to keep clean (since they surround the entire tooth) and so less healthy for those teeth over time?

I already get that the spacers hurt so there's one strike against them...

Ciara

#5 Post by Ciara »

I have molar bands on 3 first molars. 2 have porcelain fillings which look good but are not as flexible as composite and more likely to be damaged while undergoing orthodontic treatment. The bracket kept popping off the other tooth. My ortho put spacers (I had them for 3 weeks) and then molar bands. They are not uncomfortable at all. In fact, I am not aware of them now but I was for the first 3-4 days. I don't have molar bands on my 2nd molars, just regular brackets. My ortho said that the bands are stronger and less likely to come off. If your ortho recommends them, there is no reason not to get them.

joeyyeo

#6 Post by joeyyeo »

I had no choice but to get bands as I have a trans-palatal arch on top. Honestly, I feel safer wearing bands as I can chew better without paying attention to eating hard things. So far, I have eaten anything I like and nothing has come off yet! They aren't hard to keep clean at all, just brush like you normally would, just make sure you use a proxy brush to get under the elastic hooks and into the headgear tubes (which the upper molar bands normally come with no matter what).

I guess you could ask your ortho if he could use brackets instead, and if he feels against it, he'll probably explain to you and then you would understand the rationale behind it!
Upper braces off after 636 days!

pearlies

#7 Post by pearlies »

Hi Ciara and Joey,
Thanks so much for relating your experience with the bands. You make them sound bearable. Molar bands look like some medieval torture device to me haha.

I guess I'm going to have to find out why I'm a candidate for them - I have the suspicion that this is just the orthodontist's protocol for everyone. But dang, I'd like to spare myself if at all possible... :soremouth: And I also am trying to figure out just how up-to-date he is with techniques...

samoorelaw

#8 Post by samoorelaw »

I have only one molar band on a crowned tooth, my only crown.

ambraced

#9 Post by ambraced »

I had molar bands on my lowers for 3 years. I was quite concerned because they have large fillings and I had read somewhere it is better to avoid molar bands on molars with large fillings. The molar bands got off two days ago and the molars look fine.
I have buccal tubes on my uppers even though one of them is attached to a crown. One of them was detached during the first adjustment the other during the second. In two years three months no further problems.
If I had to choose I would prefer the buccal tube as it covers a much smaller surface area of tooth surface. :D

jesamyn

#10 Post by jesamyn »

I have brackets on two of my back molars, and I'm getting the molar bands on the other two because they just couldn't get the brackets to stick and thought they'd tortured me enough for one day. I don't have any fillings, crowns, or anything else on those teeth.

Timetoshine

#11 Post by Timetoshine »

Spacers were fine for me - no ache or anything, just a feeling like I had something between my teeth (which I did of course haha).

The Molar bands put on yesterday were ok during 'installation' but I have been very sore for 24 hours - panadol and HEAPS of wax as they are digging into my gums and tongue, and the wire is poking out the end of each (ortho said he needed to leave it as is until next visit - and I trust him!). Back to no chewing again, so lots of soup, scrambled eggs and oat porridge.

Ortho said he uses molar bands instead of brackets as he has more control over torque, so I know this is my lot for now...

Heaps of wax - thinking I might go through a fair bit in the next week!
[/url]