Poll: Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

Yes, Sore Throat
16%
Yes, Cough
9%
Yes, Fatigue
10%
Yes, Bronchial problems
7%
Yes, Body Pain or Swelling
9%
Yes, Other (please post details)
13%
NO reaction to Invisalign -- all is/was fine
37%

Total votes: 104

asregan

Re: Poll: Did You Have An Allergic Reaction to Invisalign?

#16 Post by asregan »

I began Invisalign treatment in August 2012 and immediately began to notice sinus-like symptoms that never went away. I continued to wear the aligners until February of 2013, when I had a severe Anaphylaxic reaction to a new set (my second) of 8 aligners. This happened 4 separate times. I called my Orthodontist and was told my symptoms were not related to Ortho. After many months of doctor's visits, I finally went out on the web and searched for allergic reactions to this product. I can not believe how many posts there are, and, furthermore, how many Dentists/Orthodontists say they have not heard of these complaints. Finally, at my insistence, my Orthodontist requested a new set of aligners. I soak them now, multiple times, in a 50/50 vinegar water solution before I wear them, but I am still very concerned to wear them at night, which is when my throat seems to swell the most. Other symptoms are similar to what I have seen posted before - sinus infections, chest feels constricted, blurry vision, fatigue, etc. I am in the middle of a correction, and want desparately to stop but feel like I can not until my bite is corrected. My Orthodontist will not switch me to wires. I feel completely at a loss.

rebeccainphoenix

#17 Post by rebeccainphoenix »

Hi, I'm working on my 5th tray of Invisaligns (about 8-1/2 weeks of treatment), and have had a cough, sore throat, dry lips, nausea, digestive problems, and a decreasing amount of energy (because it's hard to breathe) for at least the past six weeks.

I finally recognized a connection - I feel better during those times when I remove the trays to eat. Felt great during lunch, put the trays back in, and I'm wheezing all over the place.

It's not the rubber bands - my posts popped off, and I couldn't get an appointment, so I've only been using bands for about a week.

I've been brushing the trays with toothpaste, and just saw somewhere that I shouldn't do that - but I don't think that's the problem. Yesterday, I changed trays, and it was as bad or worse from the beginning. After a few weeks of being "sickly," I changed to a no-fluoride brand, and it hasn't helped.

I've also been soaking them in a 1/4 mouthwash solution, and I've used Retainer Bright a few times.
I would really appreciate any advice!
Thanks!

asregan

#18 Post by asregan »

Hi, I had to discontinue Invisalign treatment in April, and really should have done so sooner. It seems that something this product is made with or disinfected with is toxic to certain people. My symptoms have not completely subsided.

rebeccainphoenix

#19 Post by rebeccainphoenix »

Hi! I hope you get better soon!
I'm having trouble also, am keeping you in my thoughts!

asregan wrote:
> Hi, I had to discontinue Invisalign treatment in April, and really should have done
> so sooner. It seems that something this product is made with or disinfected with
> is toxic to certain people. My symptoms have not completely subsided.

asregan

#20 Post by asregan »

Thank you, and the same to you! I wish you the best with your treatment.

k80

#21 Post by k80 »

I've had nothing! Not even irritation from the attachments.

The only things I've experienced were the increased saliva when I first got them (that subsided after a few days), and a couple of raw spots on my gums, just from the tray being fit a little weirdly. But we were able to file it down a little and fix that. But no allergies whatsoever! And I'm thankful. I didn't even know that was an issue!

Seals

#22 Post by Seals »

I wore a clear plastic retainer for the past 2 days and I had to stop due to swollen lymph nodes and a sore throat. This is scary stuff!! There is no way I'm going to continue wearing this garbage. The orthodontist failed to mention any potential side effects or known risks, but did emphasize that it is Bph free---BIG Whoop-De-Doo! What kind of doctor would knowingly prescribe something like this to their patients?! This ortho is highly educated---she's a Harvard grad! UNBELIEVABLE!

gogorick

#23 Post by gogorick »

should be getting mine in next week. Will post if an reactions.

CatLadyAlice

#24 Post by CatLadyAlice »

My first tray gave me quite a sore throat, but no issues after that. I believe that Invisalign can, however, prolong colds and infections and that it's wise to disinfect your trays regularly while you're unwell.

Shirley32174

#25 Post by Shirley32174 »

:? My daughter has had her clear plastic retainer for 4 months now (I don't know the manufacture) and she has suffered a sore throat every night. Her regular doctor has treated her for allergies ext to no avail. When I called the orthodontics and asked if anyone has ever complained of a sore throat while wearing the plastic retainer and he said he never heard anything like that! I seem to be finding a lot on line about people complaining...my question is what can we do?? $6000 and two years of braces and now she has to suffer from the retainer!

Shirley32174

#26 Post by Shirley32174 »

Have you found any help??

[quote="Seals"]I wore a clear plastic retainer for the past 2 days and I had to stop due to swollen lymph nodes and a sore throat. This is scary stuff!! There is no way I'm going to continue wearing this garbage. The orthodontist failed to mention any potential side effects or known risks, but did emphasize that it is Bph free---BIG Whoop-De-Doo! What kind of doctor would knowingly prescribe something like this to their patients?! This ortho is highly educated---she's a Harvard grad! UNBELIEVABLE![/quote]

lilyflower

#27 Post by lilyflower »

Actually, and I don't know if this is just me but I noticed that the headaches I was waking up with immediately stopped (maybe I'm a night grinder and don't know it.)

I have chronic sinus problems and severe allergies to dust and mold (and did before Invisalign) so I haven't noticed anything becoming "worse" with it. I also take allergy meds daily due to my problems.

I don't drink anything hot with mine in, I use retainer brite and an ultrasonic cleaner at least one a day to clean (and give them a good rinse after) and a toothbrush with occasionally toothpaste on the go (depending on if I feel the aligner is gross or needs more than a quick clean.)

I know I'm early in but I figure if I had any sensitivity it would've shown up by now.
The problems:
Lower crowding, a slightly rotated upper canine and a deep bite

Invisalign G5 started Oct 12, 2015
Attachments: 21
Total number of trays: 28 upper, 38 lower
Estimated treatment time: 18 months
Follow my progress http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=49130

Sporty

#28 Post by Sporty »

Hi
I've only just started wearing my Invisalign 4 days in my problem is my tongue it's swollen & is really affecting my speech, also my mouth is soooo sore , I can't eat any tips? I can't carry on like this for a year

ItsFreyja

#29 Post by ItsFreyja »

Sporty wrote:Hi
I've only just started wearing my Invisalign 4 days in my problem is my tongue it's swollen & is really affecting my speech, also my mouth is soooo sore , I can't eat any tips? I can't carry on like this for a year
Sporty, if your tongue is really swollen all over, go see your ortho ASAP. A swollen tongue is dangerous and could close off your airway. If you just have sores or inflammation around the edges of your tongue, call your ortho. Rough edges on the inside of your aligner may be irritating your tongue, and it's such an easy fix to smooth them off. (You could also try smoothing them yourself with a nail file.) I predict your tooth soreness will improve a lot over the next few days. Ibuprofen or other OTC painkillers are a big help for that. Stick to soft foods until the soreness subsides.

Sporty

#30 Post by Sporty »

Thank you I will let you know how I get on :D