What is your favorite brace food?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ccbraces

Re: What is your favorite brace food?

#16 Post by ccbraces »

French bread soaked in cream of mushroom soup (I like both soup and bread), eggs, yogurt, and ice cream.

nellarmonia

#17 Post by nellarmonia »

Watermelon!

Aerynia

#18 Post by Aerynia »

Omg. Mashed potato all the way! With plenty of butter and milk. Sometimes with crushed garlic, yum!

Also spaghetti with those wee sausages. Scrambled eggs with plum sauce. Chocolate mousse. Creme brulee. I get really sick of soup so that's definitely not one of my favourites!

isthistaken

#19 Post by isthistaken »

Klondike ice cream sandwiches

SunshineRay

#20 Post by SunshineRay »

2 weeks in and I can pretty much eat anything in small bites. The only thing I havent tried is chips because of them being hard.

isthistaken

#21 Post by isthistaken »

I just got the nerve to try chips a couple of days ago (4 months in upper/lower metal.) It was so awesome. They were some kind of "artisan" tortilla chips and weren't really hard.

If anyone has a Dickey's BBQ restaurant nearby, their turkey is melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious. You can get just the meat or meat and sides. Their potato salad isn't bad and some of the other sides are doable with braces. I've also tried the ham and brisket but the turkey is the best!

kathydell

#22 Post by kathydell »

I did a ton of fish and pasta in the beginning. I'm 4 months in and I've now gotten brave enough to eat anything except the sticky foods or the really crunchy stuff like corn chips. You learn to adapt pretty quickly. I love steak so I cut it up in real small pieces. I still cook corn on the cob on the grill and strip it off the cob instead of biting it off. I've even gone so far as kettle cooked potato chips but I break them in small pieces and chew on the big molars. I've even tested out the blueberries and blackberries (ceramic brackets) and been okay. Definitely no no on cherries with ceramics though. It's real tough in the beginning but we humans are pretty adaptable. If you like to eat, you'll find a way to still eat your favorite foods, just maybe differently than you did before. And, the good news is I lost 8 pounds because I don't eat pretzels after dinner every night like before!

maralv

#23 Post by maralv »

baked potato soup.... yum. jello.

Matilda

#24 Post by Matilda »

A few of my favorites are definitely raspberries, watermelon and pancakes.

isthistaken

#25 Post by isthistaken »

I didn't believe it 4 months ago when people said at 4 months you can eat again, but just this week I have had a real bonafide hamburger and--drum roll please--a Jimmy John's sandwich!!! The hamburger was easy (hint:shred the lettuce) but the sandwich was a bit of a challenge. Next time I will bring my own knife and fork as JJ customers are not entrusted with such weapons, it seems.

chloespeaks

#26 Post by chloespeaks »

Spaghetti with marinara!

Helly

#27 Post by Helly »

I'm on day 3 and so far my favourites are yoghurt, mashed sweet potato, bananas, porridge, pasta and ice cream. I've managed chicken cut up into very small pieces and actually managed to eat more than I thought I would so far.

The day I can have a steak or a burger will be joyous!!

EmBee

#28 Post by EmBee »

I'll second that on the steak! Right now my favorites are mashed potatoes and yams, peas, and any sort of soft bread. Canned chicken is pretty soft and is ok for when I'm craving meat lol

TMJJill

#29 Post by TMJJill »

I ate lots of pasta in the beginning.

I got some new powerchains this week and had to adjust my diet again. I found a perfect food yesterday. Sweet corn tamales. :) Soft masa and soft sweet corn filling. Not a lot of texture contrast, but at this point, it is the flavor that counts.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

isthistaken

#30 Post by isthistaken »

TMJJill wrote:I ate lots of pasta in the beginning.

I got some new powerchains this week and had to adjust my diet again. I found a perfect food yesterday. Sweet corn tamales. :) Soft masa and soft sweet corn filling. Not a lot of texture contrast, but at this point, it is the flavor that counts.
Do you make those?