Removing ceramic braces - petrified

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

claire28

Removing ceramic braces - petrified

#1 Post by claire28 »

Hi there,

I'm not liking my ceramic braces at all and am going to ask that they be removed. My teeth were fi e and these are so big and bulky id rather have them off and be done with them. However, I'm now reading all the horror stories about ceramic braces and enamel damage. I wasn't warned about this when my ortho gave me the option, just that they'd be better for me because they're less visible. Stupidly, I agreed.

Whenever I search for ceramic bracket removal I'm faced with tales about teeth breaking and enamel being damaged when they come off - even parts of the teeth coming off with the bracket. I'm pretty devastated and petrified to the point where I'm not eating. I have a week to see the ortho and I just know something horrible will happen.

I know my enamel will be ruined as the ortho etched it to put the brackets on, I'm sure this wasn't done with my previous metal braces.

I have taken great care of my teeth and would be so, so distraught if my enamel was to be ruined forever just by my silly choice of getting braces for perfectly fine teeth (just one noticeably rotated canine)

Has anyone else here had ceramics? Does the etching do much damage? I hate myself for even getting braces again :(

safetysquirrel

Re: Removing ceramic braces - petrified

#2 Post by safetysquirrel »

Etching is done with all bracket applications.

I have both ceramic and metal brackets and all teeth were etched to get the brackets on - it's not a big deal. If it were, everyone who had braces would Havre tooth damage... And they don't.

Ceramic brackets will sometimes shatter or break when they are removed, but that is simply because of the composition of the material. I have yet to read any reputable material that talks about tooth coming off with bracket removal.. The glee isn't that strong. Of it was, nobody would ever have brackets pop off.

I really think (and I mean this with all respect) that you need to stop googling and just wait to talk to the orthodontist. You need to go with questions, not demands. Your orthodontist is a highly educated professional who knows what they're doing.

if you spent the money to get braces on, something bothered you enough about your teeth to fix them - I haven't met anyone wearing them for fun. Stick it out, you will regret it otherwise.

claire28

#3 Post by claire28 »

Thanks, safetysquirrel!

I can't stick it out -they are far too bulky and I can't even talk or smile properly with them. I no longer want them on; they were for a rotated canine that I will happily take over 7 more months in braces. Made a mistake.

When my ortho etched, he scraped my tooth surfaces which really freaked me out. I'm just concerned that there will be damage.

safetysquirrel

#4 Post by safetysquirrel »

I have ceramics on top, and they do feel funky and huge for awhile - your body adjusts though, I swear. they just feel normal to me now.

7 months is the SHORTEST... I would ask your ortho about your concerns and them stick it out for another month. If you still hate them, take them off.

I really think you'll regret taking them off early.

Your etching sounds totally normal - you just need to relax :-)

Candyland

#5 Post by Candyland »

I have ceramic brackets and before I got them my ortho let me know that they would take a little longer to get used to than metal braces. This is due to the fact that they are larger and also are a bit rougher in texture. He wanted to make sure that I was ok with these differences before they were put on.

I had two brackets removed about a month ago to have extractions and everything went fine with the removal. I had to close my eyes because sometimes the ceramic brackets will shatter. There was a pop and a tiny bit of pressure but that was it. They came off really easily.

I also wanted to let you know that I had microabrasion done on my teeth a few years ago to help remove stains. This is basically grinding off the outer layer of enamel. I feel like if they can do a process like that and your teeth still be fine, then slightly etching teeth to attach brackets should be ok.

Good luck with everything! Hope this helps. :)

claire28

#6 Post by claire28 »

Is this what they did with yours? I can't help but think that scratching the enamel will cause permanent damage and it'll show once they're off.

This has made me feel a little bit better. Admittedly I'm panicking like crazy. I'm in tears constantly thinking I've ruined my teeth. I'll see what the ortho says next week and go from there.

claire28

#7 Post by claire28 »

Thanks, Candyland! Are your teeth fine now after that? Losing my tooth enamel is a big nightmare of mine...well, I already lost a bit from not being too careful over the years and the tips of my teeth are a little see-through. I'm just scared. I wasn't warned of any disadvantages of the ceramics beforehand.

safetysquirrel

#8 Post by safetysquirrel »

When he "scratched" your teeth, it was probably the same thing that three dentist does during a cleaning.

Ceramics are pretty great, the biggest difference is that when they are removed they may shatter, but that's so not a big deal!
:-)

Bikerchick85

#9 Post by Bikerchick85 »

I've had some of my ceramic brackets removed and repositioned during treatment with no negative consequences. They do make a loud noise when they shatter but its no big deal. I read your other post about wanting your braces removed. I, too, think that would be a mistake. The first month or so is always the worse. My ceramics felt big and bulky to me at first too. You aren't used to the hardware in your mouth yet. Please make a list of your questions and concerns and talk to your ortho about this. Obviously you had a problem you wanted fixed or you wouldn't have gone thru with it. I'm writing this with love.. I think you're are making a hasty decision. After a couple of months you'll forget you are even wearing braces! I don't even feel mine anymore. This is my third time in braces and I am finishing this treatment come hell or high water! No one is stopping me this time! :) keep your head up! I promise things get better! <3

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

Tobilei

#10 Post by Tobilei »

I've had mine on for 7 months now and while I've hated every minute, 7 months actually goes pretty quickly in retrospect! I know you're miserable right now, we've all been there (some of us more miserable than others, I think I actually got depressed for the first 2-3 months I had mine on-no joke). The feeling of them being huge really does ease up. It takes a little time but it passes.

I've had a couple of my ceramic brackets removed. The last one was a week ago at my last adjustment. It was chipped already (ate something I shouldn't have) and it shattered when he removed it. There was a lot of pulling and tugging and I joked that he was trying to take my tooth out but he assured me that the glue isn't that strong. Once it was off he cleaned and polished my tooth and there was no damage. It didn't hurt, just sounded a little scary. I'm sure it will be fine.

KLM1996

#11 Post by KLM1996 »

I hope that doesn't happen! I just got ceramic braces yesterday haha in so much pain right now! Good luck with your braces x

bmueller

#12 Post by bmueller »

This is my third time in braces, second time with ceramics attached to my teeth. I have never had damage to my teeth but have always taken great care of my teeth.

It is HARD, don't get me wrong. Nobody has braces for fun. But you know what? The last 7 months which have been extremely difficult for me have gone by fast! I contemplated having them removed in January because I hated the elastics and bulky ceramic brackets so much, but I kept going. Did I spend many days crying, yes, do I refuse to smile, yes. But I think the end result will be worth it. In the whole scheme of things, it's a short time of being unhappy for a lifetime of great smiles.

It is of course up to you to decide whether you think the 7 months of not-so-much fun is worth the end result.

I just ask that you stop googling things and getting worked up. It's not going to help your mood or your decision and it's not going to make your appointment with the orthodontist come any sooner.

When I feel down, I just remind myself that there are people out there with problems SO much bigger than mine... cancer, failing organs, ALS.... and I realize that freaking out over silly teeth isn't so important.

isthistaken

#13 Post by isthistaken »

When I feel down, I just remind myself that there are people out there with problems SO much bigger than mine... cancer, failing organs, ALS.... and I realize that freaking out over silly teeth isn't so important.[/quote]

:thumbsup:

pearlies

#14 Post by pearlies »

I just have to put in my two cents and say that I'd feel so happy to only have to have braces for 7 months. My sentence is twice as long and that truly seems like an eternity. Oh, and it's my second round so...I feel kinda :-=

bmueller

#15 Post by bmueller »

claire28

Any update? Have you seen the ortho yet?