Weight & Braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

suzyscientist

#16 Post by suzyscientist »

I've put on weight because I keep telling my boyfriend that I can only eat ice cream, chocolate mousse and smoothies. Ooops :oops:

catgyrl

#17 Post by catgyrl »

Suzy's my kinda gal! :lol:

I thought I'd lose weight, too, but once I figured out how to eat things (and didn't mind how long it took), the weight loss stopped.

You gotta admit, though... ice cream DOES feel good on sore teeth!

suzyscientist

#18 Post by suzyscientist »

Ice cream feels soooo good! I think it will become my staple food for the next 12 months!

That said, I am trying to eat other things now. I put salad leaves in the food processor the other day... actually worked pretty well and didn't have to spend 25 minutes picking rocket leaves out of my braces afterwards! :D

hal2me

#19 Post by hal2me »

I lost about 10 pounds in the beginning. Since it's been over a year since my braces were put on, I gained most of the weight back as the adjustments are not as painful as they once were.

Best of luck to you!

MerryKate

Love this diet...

#20 Post by MerryKate »

I've lost 10 lbs. in 9 weeks and hope to keep losing. I would have gotten braces 15 years ago if the ortho had told me the weight just falls off. Granted, it's due to pain and a general sense of nausea, but the weight loss would have been incentive enough!
"Every tooth in a man's head is more valuable than a diamond." ~Miguel de Cervantes

nessness

#21 Post by nessness »

I lost quite a bit in the first two or so weeks, but then you find a method to eat the things you normally eat, given theyre not too hard.

Now I eat anything i normally ate before braces. My best friends after an adjustment is Ben and Jerry when they wrap themselves in vanilla ;)

Squara square face

#22 Post by Squara square face »

I have put on a stone since having braces (3 months) which is a hell of a lot given I am 5 ft 2! I think maybe it is because instead of chewing food I rip bits of and pretty much swallow it whole otherwise it gets stuck in my herst and braces! I almost don't taste the food and want more. :(

DrBlur

#23 Post by DrBlur »

catgyrl wrote:Suzy's my kinda gal! :lol:

I thought I'd lose weight, too, but once I figured out how to eat things (and didn't mind how long it took), the weight loss stopped.

You gotta admit, though... ice cream DOES feel good on sore teeth!
Same here!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

Theresa48

#24 Post by Theresa48 »

Well, I deffinitely lost a solid 5 lbs in the last 6 days...might have been more if I didn't drown my sorrows in beer and coconut ice cream (vegan) for the first 3 days!!!!javascript:emoticon(':biglaf:')

I don't intend on gaining any weight back, since I probably will NEVER snack in between meals because brushing is such a pain and I am OCD about my teeth! I also have given up coffee and red wine, so those calories are gone...

Oh, and I put all food in a food processor now, whatever we are having for dinner...I cannot chew at all because of bumpers.

DrBlur

#25 Post by DrBlur »

^ I no longer snack between meals, which is good...I only want to brush 3 times a day! But I am no longer sticking to soup and soft foods, so there's that!
32 years old, total time in braces=30 months

-Braces and palate expander on 4/15/10
-RPE Surgery 9/15/10
-Expander removed 3/11
-Braces Removed 9/7/12
-Retainers in 9/7/12

tonyavicci

#26 Post by tonyavicci »

i just got braces today, so can't help. but with my spacers i lost 7 lbs in 7 days due to not being able to eat anything but soft foods, soups, oatmeal, and soggy cereal. good luck to you!

mariawong86

Re:

#27 Post by mariawong86 »

catgyrl wrote:I lost about 4 pounds the first week, but I attribute that to (a) not being able to bit down too well, and (b) being too scared to try solid foods. Once I figured out what I could eat, and how to safely eat it... those 4 pounds came right back. My snacking has still been greatly diminished because I don't want to have to brush my teeth 10 times a day.
ive lost 7 pounds and now im scared i weight 98 LBS !!

Tweetypie1106

Re: Weight & Braces

#28 Post by Tweetypie1106 »

i dont have actual braces yet but i have a lower lingual arch and a palatal expander. i lost about ten lbs within the first week because i couldn't eat . after two months i am able to eat , but i'm not gaining or losing .

Tara

Re: Weight & Braces

#29 Post by Tara »

I had spacers for a week and I've had braces for about 4 days now I think and I've lost 3kg.

I'm vegan and combining this with only being able to eat soft foods has not been easy.

Yes, I can have soy yoghurt and vegan soup but the availability of these when I'm just out and want food is low so I often only eat when I'm home at night.

I'd also have to say the pain has discouraged me from eating. I basically want to have wax on my braces at all times because the inside of my mouth is so torn up and I don't enjoy eating with wax on but it hurts to eat with the wax off.

Apart from availability of food and physically finding it difficult to eat, I've found that my appetite is a lot less (possibly because I'm currently associating eating with pain).

rhibee83

Re:

#30 Post by rhibee83 »

tsmurfenator wrote:I guess I am the only one who has gained weight. I have gained about 12-15 lbs since putting braces (about 5 months ago). When I first got them, I ate a lot of ice cream. I can eat anything now and don't have any dietary restrictions any more, but I haven't lost the ice cream addiction!!!
I have gained weight!!! like 3 kilos... not sure what that is in pounds sorry guys. but yes, i am one of the lucky ones to actually gain bl00dy weight... yay.... Lol.. NOT! :shock: