Jem's belated story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kipepeo

Re: Jem's belated story

#121 Post by Kipepeo »

Me too!!!
And while I did go through over a year of treatment, before starting over with a full set of braces, I forgot about that. When people ask me how long I've had them, I say since last July, when I had upper brackets placed, and several lower brackets repositioned, essentially starting fresh.

I'm getting antsy about it all now.

jem

#122 Post by jem »

Kip,

I see you have an appointment tomorrow. Hope you get some good news!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

kellyb

#123 Post by kellyb »

Looking great jem! :D
Very interesting discussion about retainers. Btw, I will be having a bonded retainer on upper arch as well.

In braces 07/01/2012 - 29/06/2013

jem

#124 Post by jem »

Thanks Kelly,

I will be really interested to hear how you get on with the bonded retainer on your uppers. I believe they are often used to maintain the closure of a gap between upper central incisors which is otherwise prone to relapse. Hence, presumably, upper bonded for you and Angel269. I do not have that issue but would like a bonded retainer to ensure the 24/7 compliance that I know I would not manage with a clear retainer.

I have read that you should not drink anything other than water with a clear retainer, as it will hold any liquid you drink close to your teeth and potentially cause decay. One of the highlights of my week is my Sunday morning bike ride. I use an energy drink or watered down fruit juice in my drinks bottle whilst cycling. You need the liquid to avoid dehydration and the sugar to maintain energy. Since we go out for about 5 hours, it would either be 5 hours without retainer or 5 hours with sugary drink held close to my teeth. I don't know whether a Hawley retainer would be better in this respect, although I would prefer something less visible than a Hawley for daytime wear.

I guess this is all up for discussion with my ortho when the time comes and I suppose it is a problem I should look forward to having.

I look forward to seeing your finished pictures.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012

richardsiggers

#125 Post by richardsiggers »

looking forward to the updates on this one, can you post pictures?

Angel269

#126 Post by Angel269 »

Hi Jem. Just wondered how things were going? I had my first dental check-up since braces off on Tuesday, thankfully nothing to report. I am used to the bonded retainer by now but still wear my Essix at night too, just a routine i'm in and i'm not prepared to go through this again and obviously don't want a relapse.

Take care

Angel269

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

jem

#127 Post by jem »

Hi Angel,

Am in sunny Devon at the moment. I thought of you as we were driving through Somerset. Glad to hear you are getting on fine with your retainers.

My next appointment is June 10. I expect it will be just tweaking but hopefully not too far off now.

All the best

Jem

BraceFace2o1o

#128 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Sounds like you don't have that much far to go Jem! :jump:
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos

jem

#129 Post by jem »

I had my 12th adjustment yesterday. The only outstanding issue from my perspective is that my left canine is somewhat flared out, so my ortho adjusted my (.018 stainless steel) archwire to push it inwards. My canines will never appear completely symmetrical because the left one has a narrower lateral incisor next to it. But my teeth are looking and feeling good now and my ortho said that she will remove my brace at my next appointment on 22 July. Hooray!!!

I will have a bonded upper retainer and a removable to wear at night. As things stand, the removable retainer will be a clear one, but I might ask for a hawley instead as I understand they are more durable. I would welcome people's views on whether a hawley would be better than a clear as a back up retainer.

I have noticed this morning that in bending my archwire to push in the canine,the wire no longer sits against the back of the bracket on my troublesome left lateral. This might give that tooth the opportunity to drift forward over the next 6 weeks, which would not be good news, so I think I will have to call my ortho and arrange to go back.

Best wishes to all

Jem

Kipepeo

#130 Post by Kipepeo »

Great news Jem, about the debanding! Use this time to get them just right for you!

jem

#131 Post by jem »

Hi Kip,

Thanks. I did go back to my ortho yesterday and she adjusted my wire so that it is again at the back of the bracket on my left lateral and either exerting some force on it or at least not letting it drift forward at all. I reasoned that if I had not gone back it would have been like leaving my most troublesome tooth for 6 weeks between debonding and retention. I'm not sure whether we will manage to "un-flare" my left canine with just a small adjustment to the wire. Fingers crossed!

You are keeping very quiet re your likely debonding. Any news?

Jem

Kipepeo

#132 Post by Kipepeo »

At my appt last week I apparently had a rotated lower lateral that I didn't know about. The lowers hadn't been touched since Dec or Jan. so that was corrected, plus I complained my fronts were not touching (think biting into a sandwich) on the right, which felt lopsided. So apparently, that rotated lower was also going to be raised. I forgot to mention the small gap that had formed in the uppers after having my fancy lacing removed prior. So I went back yesterday to have that fixed (another small powerchain, and more lacing, just for you!), and file down of a high molar.

So to answer your question...I don't even ask! Was hoping for June, now hoping for July.

braceface74

#133 Post by braceface74 »

on the home straight now Jem :).

I don't have a back up retainer so can't comment.. I find the clear one good though, haven't had any issue with it at all.
Braces journey 16/01/2012 - 03/06/2013 :)

My Braces story

EbonyQ

#134 Post by EbonyQ »

WOW Jem!! :jump: :jump: That is great news!! :jump:

But you must not forget this forum when you are free, right? This forum will not be the same without you :heart:

[/url]

BraceFace2o1o

#135 Post by BraceFace2o1o »

Great news on getting your debrace date Jem! Not long now. I have also been thinking whether to get hawley instead of clear but not sure. I have heard pros and cons for both. I also don't like the thought of waiting even longer for a hawley retainer to be made either at my (10 days compared to 1 week for clear). Still slightly annoyed I cannot get it the same day even though I was previously told I could.
Braces: Metal fixed upper and lower
Estimated treatment time: 18-24 months
Braces Removed: August 2013 (after 33 months in braces)
Retainers: Upper & lower essix and lower bonded
My Story / Before & After photos