I'm going to get braces this year!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NeilH

Re: I'm going to get braces this year!

#61 Post by NeilH »

Well this is strange. Here I am only two and a half days in and it feels completely normal to be wearing braces. No dramas eating, still no discomfort and I pretty much forget they are there. It's almost as if I'm picking up from where I left off 20 years ago when my treatment was terminated early due to the dentist closing his practice. It feels just so normal!!

Sheryl 54

#62 Post by Sheryl 54 »

Congratulation on going through with it and how wonderful not to be in pain you are a inspiration to me your story makes me more excited to get them.
I hope I have the same luck as you. Happy Day! :D

NeilH

#63 Post by NeilH »

Sheryl 54 wrote:Congratulation on going through with it and how wonderful not to be in pain you are a inspiration to me your story makes me more excited to get them.
I hope I have the same luck as you. Happy Day! :D
Thank you, that's very kind of you. I certainly wish you a great braces experience too, when do you get started? I had wanted to do this for a long time but was unable to do so so when the opportunity presented itself a few months ago, I decided to make the first move and see what happened. I'm the kind of person who thinks that if its meant to be, it will just happen and that is exactly what did happen. Everything simply clicked into place from the very first appointment. And now I have them, I am really happy as I feel I'm doing something for me and enjoying all this new experience has to offer. Good luck.

foysie

#64 Post by foysie »

Its so nice to read about such great positive vibes about your braces - its a good feeling to know every day these teeth are getting better and straighter !

I know few people even mention my braces but mostly its complimentary !

They love then showing me their teeth and we have some lively discussions about teeth and problems with them !

I have explained it was my one front top tooth that was moving up and outward slowly that made my decision as it really spoilt my photos etc. But so good now, to have the whole lot fixed !

My front tooth seemed to move back down again in one week of braces and I am regaining a smile back I longed for.

Moving on to the 3 weeks mark (feels like 3 months !)now and feeling lots of pressure/tingling more often so I assume things are moving !

Enjoying your comments on your journey - keeps us all motivated sharing all these things ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sheryl 54

#65 Post by Sheryl 54 »

I will be getting my braces the end of June I woke up this morning about an hour before my alarm went off and couldn't get back to sleep I was worrying about the palate expander I will need to have and how in the world I'm going to be able to do anything with that thing on. I need to try to not over think this, trust my Orthodontist,
and just do it.

NeilH

#66 Post by NeilH »

Hi Foysie, it's been great to read about your progress and thank you for your kind comments. I generally remain optimistic about most things and my new braces have given me the opportunity to be super happy for at least the next 18 months. I love talking to people about braces but, apart from my neighbour who is an orthodontic nurse, find most people not that interested in the whole process which is why this forum is such a good place to chat. I hope your braces experience is going well and look forward to keeping in touch.

NeilH

#67 Post by NeilH »

Sheryl 54 wrote:I will be getting my braces the end of June I woke up this morning about an hour before my alarm went off and couldn't get back to sleep I was worrying about the palate expander I will need to have and how in the world I'm going to be able to do anything with that thing on. I need to try to not over think this, trust my Orthodontist,
and just do it.
Hi Sheryl, wow, you are going to get a palatal expander, no wonder you are too excited to sleep! I asked my orthodontist if I could get one to give me a fuller smile but he said no! In the UK, I think Ortho's are a bit more conservative about what they offer and he explained that the arch wire should be able to achieve a small amount of expansion over the time I'm in braces. Personally I would have loved to see what a palatal expander was like, how it worked, how I sounded speaking with one and the new foods I would enjoy trying whilst having one so I'm envious that your Ortho is offering this to you. I'm sure it will take a little while to get used to it but then again, a new pair of shoes takes some getting used to. The results you are likely to achieve in a short time will be amazing so I really look forward to hearing how you get on!

Sheryl 54

#68 Post by Sheryl 54 »

Well thank you for your encouragement I guess its all in the way you look at it. I'm trying to stay positive. I have a big over bite ( sucked my thumb as a child ) and he said either pull 2 teeth or try this to make room for the front teeth to go back. If I think of it that way this would better of the two.

NeilH

#69 Post by NeilH »

Sheryl 54 wrote:Well thank you for your encouragement I guess its all in the way you look at it. I'm trying to stay positive. I have a big over bite ( sucked my thumb as a child ) and he said either pull 2 teeth or try this to make room for the front teeth to go back. If I think of it that way this would better of the two.
Expansion or extraction... I know what I would prefer! I'm sure you will be just fine and quickly get used to having an expander.

NeilH

#70 Post by NeilH »

Well still no pain, soreness, rubbing, discomfort, aching, lightning bolts etc, just a bit of dry mouth for some odd reason. I popped into the orthodontist's today to drop off a thank you card as I have been so impressed with their care and kindness. Think I would quite like to work there!

rhibee83

#71 Post by rhibee83 »

NeilH wrote:Well still no pain, soreness, rubbing, discomfort, aching, lightning bolts etc, just a bit of dry mouth for some odd reason. I popped into the orthodontist's today to drop off a thank you card as I have been so impressed with their care and kindness. Think I would quite like to work there!
that is so good that you have had no pain and soreness etc, and specially lightning bolts lol as funny as that sounds i have had these and now after my adjustment my teeth clang together again and OUCH! Least i know it CAN get better lol.

aww that is sweet you gave them a thank you card. funny you mention you want to work there as I sit in the waiting room and think the exact same thing about working at my orthodontist office "it would be fun to work here and see everyone's progress every month" lol.

NeilH

#72 Post by NeilH »

Day 10 and I think I can say that I'm well and truly used to having braces now. I don't think about them at all during the day (although I can't resist a quick glance if passing a mirror), I'm pretty much eating as before but taking a bit more care obviously and still no discomfort of any kind. I have noticed the arch wire not sitting properly on one of the bottom brackets as it appears the lig has stretched allowing the wire to come out of the slot and rest diagonally across the bracket which I guess isn't doing much good? Will need to give the Ortho a call in the week to see if they can fix it. So still very happy, looking forward to seeing some movement and enjoying the whole experience.

Funsizee

#73 Post by Funsizee »

That was fast. I've had mine for almost 2 months and I'm still trying to get used to them. I've already had a change of bottom wires so maybe that's why lol

I'm looking to reading your progress! Good luck on your braces journey :)

rhibee83

#74 Post by rhibee83 »

You are so lucky to be back to eating normal! I have mine on for just over a month now and still struggling! :(

Still cannot bite into anything, I am getting sick of not being able to eat properly, I would kill for a cracker. lol.

Glad you are not having pain and everything is going well :) I would call your ortho about the slipped wire and maybe they can just pop the lig around it again for you :)

Tobilei

#75 Post by Tobilei »

I'm jealous! I'm almost 6 months in and I still think about mine almost all day long (and half the night too!). They drive me crazy! Glad things are going so well for you :D