Hot Chocolate

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rhibee83

Hot Chocolate

#1 Post by rhibee83 »

Hi everyone

Just wondering, as I have come to the decision to have my one coffee a day at lunch time, as I eat lunch and brush my teeth anyway, might as well have the coffee then! anyway I also just had a Jarrah hot Chocolate this morning, it has artificial sweetener in it, but no sugar, BUT i was wondering, would you brush your teeth after this? Does hot chocolate stain?

I just rinsed out with water and swirled water around. I am hoping this is enough? My teeth still feel a bit yukky, but hoping it will fade and then I eat lunch at 1 and then brush anyway. :wink:

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated :D

Thanks!

Sita

Re: Hot Chocolate

#2 Post by Sita »

I drink hot chocolate all the time and it hasn't stained anything. I had the same powerchains on for months and they were almost the same colour when they came off as when they went on. Slight stains, but not enough to be noticeable and could have been done by many other things.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

sirwired

#3 Post by sirwired »

Chocolate is not super-staining, but you do need to brush; the lactose in the milk is no better for your teeth than table sugar.

rhibee83

#4 Post by rhibee83 »

hrmmm. so basically I should be brushing after everything I eat.. I don't think so. I will ruin my gums!!

I already brush breakfast, lunch and before bed.
Last edited by rhibee83 on Thu May 02, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhibee83

#5 Post by rhibee83 »

Sita wrote:I drink hot chocolate all the time and it hasn't stained anything. I had the same powerchains on for months and they were almost the same colour when they came off as when they went on. Slight stains, but not enough to be noticeable and could have been done by many other things.
YAY! good to hear , thank you :)

Timetoshine

#6 Post by Timetoshine »

rhibee83 wrote:hrmmm. so basically I should be brushing after everything I eat.. I don't think so. I will ruin my gums!!

I already brush breakfast, lunch and before bed.

Hmm - this has been my quandry - I could easily be an over brusher (so my ortho tells me), but trying to leave it for just 3 times a day is hard!
[/url]

rhibee83

#7 Post by rhibee83 »

I don't find it hard? I just brush when I wake up, after lunch, and then before bed I do like a massive clean with floss waterpik fluoride toothpaste, I actually brush twice at night in the same cleaning session only first brush is proper brush then second one is fluoride toothpaste brush lol and mouthwash! My snacks only include yoghurt or mashed banana so I just rinse after those.

Tobilei

#8 Post by Tobilei »

I eat and drink lots of stuff without brushing right after. My daughter is lucky to brush twice a day (I police the evening one but the morning one is a little tougher) and hasn't had a problem. I'm sure you'll be fine :)

sirwired

#9 Post by sirwired »

Demineralization spots are reported in something like 80% or so of orthodontic patients. This is mainly because the "wiping" action of your cheeks and lips (which normally removes a LOT of the sugar residue) simply doesn't work with all that hardware in the way. The only way to prevent that is with brushing after carb consumption.

Brushing after every bit of carb-containing food (which, by the way, is a routine requirement for Invisilign users, since there's definitely no wiping going on there) is not going to damage your gums unless you use a non-soft toothbrush and/or brush improperly. (You don't need to press much at all, nor do you need to saw long strokes back and forth or jam the bristles straight into your gums.)

MrsCharisma

#10 Post by MrsCharisma »

I brush after I eat because my teeth feel gross. It's not like end of the day brushing though. Just a quick once over. Then at night I floss, brush, water pik. I might floss during the day depending on lunch.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

rhibee83

#11 Post by rhibee83 »

I am going to ask my ortho about this next week at my first adjustment. If he says my brushing is going ok, I will continue to just brush 3 times aday :) I am sure that is enough, otherwise I would never get any work done and be brushing like 6 times aday... as I snack a bit cos I get hungry lol

sablequeenie

#12 Post by sablequeenie »

Honestly, my ortho told me as far as hot chocolate's concerned, if I'm brushing twice a day then I can just swish with water after I finish drinking it if I'm concerned about sugar residue, etc. Brushing after every single time you have some works too, but for those of us who work and just don't get the opportunity to do that we have to take some shortcuts/quick fixes. I understand where you're coming from since I had the same exact concerns when I first got braced, but over time, my paranoia got less and less over hot chocolate; now I'm actually back to even drinking lattes whenever I want and I haven't a problem at all lol So long as you're doing a good job of brushing every morning and night, my opinion is that you're A-OK :)

rhibee83

#13 Post by rhibee83 »

sablequeenie wrote:Honestly, my ortho told me as far as hot chocolate's concerned, if I'm brushing twice a day then I can just swish with water after I finish drinking it if I'm concerned about sugar residue, etc. Brushing after every single time you have some works too, but for those of us who work and just don't get the opportunity to do that we have to take some shortcuts/quick fixes. I understand where you're coming from since I had the same exact concerns when I first got braced, but over time, my paranoia got less and less over hot chocolate; now I'm actually back to even drinking lattes whenever I want and I haven't a problem at all lol So long as you're doing a good job of brushing every morning and night, my opinion is that you're A-OK :)
haha yayyy!!!! sounds good to me lol :dance: :jump: :thumbsup: cos yes coffee was another thing that i am worried about, and I have my coffee at lunch time now cos I brush after lunch lol.