The waiting room

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SunshineRay

The waiting room

#1 Post by SunshineRay »

do you feel weird being the only adult there? I do. Well there are other adults but they are with/waiting for their kid.

EmilieMW

Re: The waiting room

#2 Post by EmilieMW »

Totally! At my last adjustment I saw another lady who had braces and I literally wanted to jump up and ask her all about her treatment. Most of the time I am surrounded by 14 yr olds in the waiting room.

rawr101

#3 Post by rawr101 »

Well most of the patients at my ortho's office seem to be teenagers they look 15-19. I've seen a couple of kids. I live in a college town so the teens may just be young college kids. I'm 25 but I could pass for 17 so when they are there I dont feel awkward but when small kids are there I do feel ridiculous

bmueller

#4 Post by bmueller »

My orthodontist schedules adults for the day and kids for after school times. So I've never had to deal with any kids. Once I stopped by for something at 3 pm and it was like a zoo! The environment was totally different.

It's kinda cool because then the only people I come in contact with are other adults and then we start comparing stories.

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

bmueller wrote:My orthodontist schedules adults for the day and kids for after school times. So I've never had to deal with any kids. Once I stopped by for something at 3 pm and it was like a zoo! The environment was totally different.

It's kinda cool because then the only people I come in contact with are other adults and then we start comparing stories.
Thats awesome. My ortho did say that too but Ive went at 8:30am and 2:30 pm and it was still all kids/teens. I guess I need to try mid-day. lol

isthistaken

#6 Post by isthistaken »

I successfully resisted the urge to ask the 14 year-old waiting nearby, "So, how long have you had braces?" We all need to start an adult ortho colony on an island somewhere, go away for awhile and come back with straight teeth.

SunshineRay

#7 Post by SunshineRay »

That sounds kind of awesome! ;)

jem

#8 Post by jem »

My ortho sees NHS patients in the middle of the day and private patients early morning and late afternoon so I usually go around 5pm. But it is still mostly parents and teens. I bury my head in a magazine. My ortho keeps a great stock from a male perspective including triathlon and car magazines. She always runs early so I never get to finish what I am reading. She has promised me a pile of triathlon magazines when I finish.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

isthistaken

#9 Post by isthistaken »

We'd all come back tanned, rested, refreshed AND with blazing white straight teeth!

sablequeenie

#10 Post by sablequeenie »

Ugh, allll the time! I don't think it's as awkward as it could be, since even though I'm 23, I've been told I look like I just graduated high school lol But since I come in by myself, some of the parents look at me strangely before my appointment, and even stranger afterwards when I'm up at the desk paying by myself by check lol

MrsCharisma

#11 Post by MrsCharisma »

Rarely see any kids...but that may be because I primarily go on my lunch hour. I might see more kids in the summer but...most of my ortho's patients at this location are adults.

http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=45175

Female, 34
Braced: 1/24/13 (upper) and 5/3/13 (lower)
Sentence: 18-24 months
Ceramic uppers, metal lowers

[/url]

BracesChick

#12 Post by BracesChick »

Yes I HATE this! At the office I go to, most of the kids are under 12! It's so annoying because even the paperwork is directed toward parents. When I called to make an appointment to get my ligs changed, they asked me what time I got out of school!

Kezza

#13 Post by Kezza »

I have only been to my Ortho office 3 times at the moment. Each time it has been pretty quiet. I went in for my brace fitting between 9.15am and 10am...When I emerged from the treatment room there was a waiting room full of parents and teenagers....the receptionist then gave me my goody bag and booked my first adjustment...I was aware that the whole room had gone quiet and everyone was sat there looking at me knowing I had just got braces fitted....I felt really awkward and just couldn't wait to get out of there! :oops: I guess it'll get better with each visit and I won't feel so self conscious!....
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

oldfart

#14 Post by oldfart »

I go with my two kids :) so I'm just another parent.. Until I get in the chair and my feet stick out so far they almost hit the wall.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

isthistaken

#15 Post by isthistaken »

I'm trying to get my husband to go with me and be my Daddy. :roll: