A true overbite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

carlarae

A true overbite?

#1 Post by carlarae »

I've been seeing a lot of people use overbite and overjet interchangeably. Overbite is how much the upper teeth overlap the bottom teeth, like covering the bottom teeth... not how far they stick out past the bottom teeth. I've been trying to find people's stories who have a bad overbite, so I can follow their stories/treatment/pictures... I've been using the search feature but it has been really hard to find those! So does anyone have a true overbite, or know of any stories that have been posted in the past? I want to follow someone's story! Thanks!

isthistaken

Re: A true overbite?

#2 Post by isthistaken »

:-1 Hey, over here! I didn't even know I had either, but I have both overbite and overjet. My overbite is severe; I'm told there is wear on my front teeth from this.

I don't know technically how this is going to be fixed, but I know it's in my treatment plan. Maybe I will find out more later. For the time being I am in metal upper and lower with one rubber band on one side.

Ciara

#3 Post by Ciara »

I had an excessive overbite but no over jet when I started treatment in Nov. My understanding is that a certain amount of overbite is normal - I think my ortho said that 10%-20% is normal. However, I had an overbite of 80% on the right and about 40% left. My lower teeth were starting to hit the gum behind my upper incisors and my teeth were rubbing against each other causing damage to the enamel. It was partially due to the over eruption of my incisors. I have been diagnosed as having a class II devision 2 (my maxillary first molar is situated anterior to the buccal groove of the mandibular first molar) as well as having an excessive overbite.

My ortho has been trying to intrude some of my incisors while extruding some of my molars in an effort to fix this and open my bite. She also created a slight overjet so my upper teeth do not hit my lower brackets. I was originally scheduled to get a bite plate to help with my overbite but my teeth have moved quite quickly and she decided with the created over jet, and by shaving down my brackets (ceramic) my teeth wouldn't hit so I never needed the bite plate. At the moment I have a 40% overbite on the right and my left site is normal at 20%! My slight overjet will fixed when my right-side overbite is back to abut 20% too).

katsface

#4 Post by katsface »

I've got a deep overbite, which is apparently typical of class ii division 2 bites (which I have). I think it's 80 or 90%. I also have an overjet, which will be surgically corrected next year.

I've been reading about deep bites/overbited lately and apparently they're hard to treat in adults. It seems people have had success with TADs (temporary anchorage devices). I don't think I'll be getting those though.

I'll keep you posted about the kind of treatment that my ortho recommends for the deep bite. I'll be interested to hear how your treatment goes.
Treatment-
  • Braces: In-Ovation L (lingual) on top, and In-Ovation R (metal) on bottom
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Expander installed Jan 14th 2013
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Turn 26 days to 13mm. Gap between teeth maxed out at 12-13mm.
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO
  • Insurance approved, surgery scheduled for Dec 18!

belistic10

#5 Post by belistic10 »

I had both according to my initial report by my orthodontist, although to me i think the overjet was worse than the overbite

isthistaken

#6 Post by isthistaken »

I've been told I have that same class 2 division 2, kats. And I am told they want to use a TAD. I did not know this was difficult to treat in adults!

katsface

#7 Post by katsface »

To the OP -

You might try searching other terms on this site, like Deep Bite, or Cover Bite, instead of Over Bite to filter out the folks who aren't using the term properly.

isthistaken wrote:I've been told I have that same class 2 division 2, kats. And I am told they want to use a TAD. I did not know this was difficult to treat in adults!
Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment :)

From what I've been reading, Class II Division 2 in general is tricky to treat in adults. There are a lot of factors, both skeletal and dental, that can contribute to this kind of bite. It looks like there have to be a lot of consideration to these factors to be sure the condition doesn't relapse after treatment. Not to mention the fact that it's just hard to intrude the anterior teeth in adults, which seems necessary for a stable result.

I read that extruding the molars can help with a deep bite, but one of the problems with Class II Division 2 is that we tend to have very strong jaw muscles. After treatment, the force from the jaw muscles can cause the molars to intrude again, and make the deep bite return.

So the other solution to fix the deep bite is to intrude the incisors (push them back up into the gum/bone). But, since that means pushing teeth up into solid bone, it can be hard to do. I read that if intrusion is done with an archwire, very little actual intrusion is accomplished, and the molars are extruded instead. That's because the force of the archwire is distributed across all of your teeth, so while there will be force pushing the front teeth up, there will be an opposing force on the molars pulling them down. So you need something that can put force on the front teeth to pull them up, without putting any force on the back teeth to pull them down.

Headgear can be used to intrude incisors without extruding the molars, but that's not something most adults would be happy with. I think the idea with TADs is that they can apply forces similar to headgear. Except that instead of an external anchor placed above the head that can put force just on the front teeth, with TADs the anchor is inside your mouth. I haven't looked into this fully, and it's just a guess that that's how TADs work, so don't take my word on that!

I'm going to ask my orthodontist what his plan is for my deep bite at my next appointment (Wed.). After I read about the significant improvement of deep bites people are getting with TADs I'm hoping that he'll consider it, but it's not in my treatment plan so I'm not sure if he's not going to use them for a reason.
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

It is also my understanding that the TAD is in lieu of headgear, and may give better results, perhaps faster? It actually would have been a hard call for me if I had a choice, because the idea of a screw in my jaw is just not my idea of a walk in the park.

Ciara

#9 Post by Ciara »

katsface wrote:To the OP -

You might try searching other terms on this site, like Deep Bite, or Cover Bite, instead of Over Bite to filter out the folks who aren't using the term properly.

isthistaken wrote:I've been told I have that same class 2 division 2, kats. And I am told they want to use a TAD. I did not know this was difficult to treat in adults!
Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment :)

From what I've been reading, Class II Division 2 in general is tricky to treat in adults. There are a lot of factors, both skeletal and dental, that can contribute to this kind of bite. It looks like there have to be a lot of consideration to these factors to be sure the condition doesn't relapse after treatment. Not to mention the fact that it's just hard to intrude the anterior teeth in adults, which seems necessary for a stable result.

I read that extruding the molars can help with a deep bite, but one of the problems with Class II Division 2 is that we tend to have very strong jaw muscles. After treatment, the force from the jaw muscles can cause the molars to intrude again, and make the deep bite return.

So the other solution to fix the deep bite is to intrude the incisors (push them back up into the gum/bone). But, since that means pushing teeth up into solid bone, it can be hard to do. I read that if intrusion is done with an archwire, very little actual intrusion is accomplished, and the molars are extruded instead. That's because the force of the archwire is distributed across all of your teeth, so while there will be force pushing the front teeth up, there will be an opposing force on the molars pulling them down. So you need something that can put force on the front teeth to pull them up, without putting any force on the back teeth to pull them down.

Headgear can be used to intrude incisors without extruding the molars, but that's not something most adults would be happy with. I think the idea with TADs is that they can apply forces similar to headgear. Except that instead of an external anchor placed above the head that can put force just on the front teeth, with TADs the anchor is inside your mouth. I haven't looked into this fully, and it's just a guess that that's how TADs work, so don't take my word on that!

I'm going to ask my orthodontist what his plan is for my deep bite at my next appointment (Wed.). After I read about the significant improvement of deep bites people are getting with TADs I'm hoping that he'll consider it, but it's not in my treatment plan so I'm not sure if he's not going to use them for a reason.
Very interesting! There is no mention of TADs in my treatment plan but the one other adult patient I know with the same ortho has them, so my ortho does do them but has not suggested them for me. I must ask her about stability next time. My bite has opened considerably but if it not stable, then there is not much point.

katsface

#10 Post by katsface »

Ciara wrote: Very interesting! There is no mention of TADs in my treatment plan but the one other adult patient I know with the same ortho has them, so my ortho does do them but has not suggested them for me. I must ask her about stability next time. My bite has opened considerably but if it not stable, then there is not much point.
Does your ortho plan on correcting the overbite she created once your bite opens up enough? I read that it's important to have your lower incisors make contact with the inside of the upper incisors when you bite, as this causes a bite block and can help prevent relapse. (You can read about it here: http://www.slideshare.net/bsk2009/class-ii-division-2 )

One would HOPE that if I can find this stuff out with a quick internet search, that our orthodontists would also be well aware of any problems and potential relapse that could occur. But then again, one would hope a lot of things that aren't necessarily so. I'm interested to hear what she says about stability. I only briefly talked about stability with my ortho in my initial consultations, and we hadn't talked about the deep bite much at that point, so I'm definitely going to talk to him about it again.

I don't have a mention of TADs either. But I guess I'll find out on Wed. if he thinks they would be useful in my case. I have an expander bonded over my molars and bicuspids on the top teeth, and that's acting like a bite block so I can't bite off my lower brackets. I don't know how he plans to proceed once the expander comes out. I'm not sure a bite plate will work because I have lingual braces on top... hmmm guess Wendsday will be an informative day!
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO

carlarae

#11 Post by carlarae »

katsface, ciara, isthistaken, everyone... do you guys have a link to your story/pictures?

katsface

#12 Post by katsface »

I don't, but if you do a search for Deep Bite in the Our Braces Story section there are 50 pages of search results.
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO

smilehope

#13 Post by smilehope »

Hi, carlarae, my problem was pretty much all overbite ("complete") with associated crowding. My initial papers said class II division 2 as well. My understanding is that the class II just refers to skeletal pattern - more prominent upper jaw relative to lower - not an abnormality as such. The division 2 bit refers to the overbite. I think.

My treatment is not involving surgery. I had a removable bite plate for the first 6 months though. Now a year into treatment I would say my overbite has reduced by at least 50%, and still getting better all the time.

You can find my story on the "our braces stories" section, usually on one of the first 2 pages.
1st Feb 2012 - extraction both upper 2nd premolars
Braced 9th March 2012 - lower metal fixed and upper removable plate
5th September 2012 - bite plate gone, upper ceramic fixed fitted
Estimated treatment time 18-24 months

katsface

#14 Post by katsface »

smilehope wrote:Hi, carlarae, my problem was pretty much all overbite ("complete") with associated crowding. My initial papers said class II division 2 as well. My understanding is that the class II just refers to skeletal pattern - more prominent upper jaw relative to lower - not an abnormality as such. The division 2 bit refers to the overbite. I think.

My treatment is not involving surgery. I had a removable bite plate for the first 6 months though. Now a year into treatment I would say my overbite has reduced by at least 50%, and still getting better all the time.

You can find my story on the "our braces stories" section, usually on one of the first 2 pages.

Cool, I'm excided to hear that your treatment is working! And I'lm looking forward to reading your story.

Yep, class II does refer to the skeletal relationship, and division 2 refers to the overbite. There's one more earmark of a class ii division 2 bite, and it has to do with the way the teeth are tipped.

Class ii Division 2 have upper central incisors that tip into the mouth instead of the classic 'bucked teeth' of class ii division 1.

The lateral incisors and can also be tipped inward (type a), the lateral incisors can show crowding and tip outward (type b ... that's me) or the lateral incisors can tip inward and the canines can show crowding and tip outward (type c) .

(Reference: http://www.slideshare.net/bsk2009/class-ii-division-2 )

I read that there are so many specific predictable features of a class ii division 2 bite that some people call it a syndrome. But it seems like most of them are consequences of the first three defining factors ie class 2 skeletal relationship, retroclination (tipping inward) of the upper incisors, and a deep bite.
Treatment-
  • SARPE
  • BSSO advancement
  • estimated 18-22 months
SARPE
  • Surgery Feb 18th 2013
  • Gap down to 7mm Apr 18
  • Gap Closed Aug 6
  • Expander out Sep 19
BSSO

Ciara

#15 Post by Ciara »

katsface wrote:
smilehope wrote:Hi, carlarae, my problem was pretty much all overbite ("complete") with associated crowding. My initial papers said class II division 2 as well. My understanding is that the class II just refers to skeletal pattern - more prominent upper jaw relative to lower - not an abnormality as such. The division 2 bit refers to the overbite. I think.

Cool, I'm excided to hear that your treatment is working! And I'lm looking forward to reading your story.

Yep, class II does refer to the skeletal relationship, and division 2 refers to the overbite. There's one more earmark of a class ii division 2 bite, and it has to do with the way the teeth are tipped.

Class ii Division 2 have upper central incisors that tip into the mouth instead of the classic 'bucked teeth' of class ii division 1.

The lateral incisors and can also be tipped inward (type a), the lateral incisors can show crowding and tip outward (type b ... that's me) or the lateral incisors can tip inward and the canines can show crowding and tip outward (type c) .

(Reference: http://www.slideshare.net/bsk2009/class-ii-division-2 )

I read that there are so many specific predictable features of a class ii division 2 bite that some people call it a syndrome. But it seems like most of them are consequences of the first three defining factors ie class 2 skeletal relationship, retroclination (tipping inward) of the upper incisors, and a deep bite.
I'm type A - at last I get an A in something dental!!!