Can I do it?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jem

Re: Can I do it?

#436 Post by jem »

So you are into elastics, Eb? Well done, I am sure you will continue to see good progress. Pictures please!

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

plugnickel69

#437 Post by plugnickel69 »

Ebony, I just looked back at your original photos, and wow, your progress is remarkable! You must be so pleased, and we're all so proud of you!

EbonyQ

#438 Post by EbonyQ »

plugnickel69 wrote:Ebony, I just looked back at your original photos, and wow, your progress is remarkable! You must be so pleased, and we're all so proud of you!
Thanks! :heart: :heart: Yes, I'm very pleased! Can't wait to see them without braces!
Could not have done it without you guys!!! :heart: :heart:

Jem: Yes, I thought that could be a good thing to start wearing. They will do some of the job for the power chain (you know me and power chains... :roll: ), closing a gap. I must try to be a little bit nice to Eric sometimes too, not say no to everything he wants to do :lol:

Angel: I'm very glad that I did not give up!! :thumbsup:

[/url]

jem

#439 Post by jem »

(you know me and power chains... )

Hi Eb,

I'll bet if you asked people on this board which bothered them more, I am sure the majority would say elastics rather than powerchains.

I have never had elastics, so I can't comment on them -but I can say that elastic chains ( why call them powerchains?) are no big deal.

So if you can cope with elastics, you should certainly be able to cope with elastic chains. Will that be the next hurdle you leap?

Al the best

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

starfish88

#440 Post by starfish88 »

Congrats on getting on to elastics! I love the coloured ones too...even the green, which surprised me...it doesn't look like spinach! Your progress is amazing!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

EbonyQ

#441 Post by EbonyQ »

I just have to share a story.

Had a pt with dental fear today, she had been skipping a few appointments because of (what I think) her dental fear. She spoke in an almost whisper because of her fear. Poor girl. Before I did anything at all, even getting the dental tools I sat down with her and explained what would happen today. Gave her a mirror (so she could watch what I was doing and have control) and said that she was the boss, if she would want me to stop she could just raise her hand. Nothing would be done without her permission.

Used my time, talking to her the whole time and making sure she was ok. She sometimes asked questions and I tried to tell her stories. When we were finish she was very proud of her pink and blue power chain, she could not wait to show it off to her friends at school the next day :heart: . Gave her a pink tooth brush to go with her pink power chain (I wanted to give her a hug too, she was so brave today!)

I hope she will be OK (and that I did OK with her) and that she will show up on her next appointment. That girl really touched me somehow.
I think this dental phobia is making me too soft dental assistant :oops: :lol:

[/url]

starfish88

#442 Post by starfish88 »

Wow you sound like an amazing assistant - really above and beyond! I wish my dental/ortho assistants were like that with me! Except the mirror - I would throw up if I had to look at my teeth but I can see how it would be helpful to someone else! I think its amazing how you are using your experience of dental fear to help others!

16 months 1 week and 2 days in braces
12mm overjet and narrow jaws all fixed with braces and elastics.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42441

BracedSurgeryStudent

#443 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

OMG you sound like the BEST assistant EVER. Too bad you didn't work for my orthodontist, I'd ask for you everytime. Do you know when you're getting your braces off? I'm getting mine off May 16th
Jenn Medeiros

NICURN85

#444 Post by NICURN85 »

Wow Eb you are really moving along. I am so happy for you!!! Also, great job on being such a great assistant. I know on the inside the patient had to feel great with you there by their side!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

EbonyQ

#445 Post by EbonyQ »

Thanks guys! But I´m not the best assistant or anything, I´m just trying take care of our pt :wink: , it´s because of my own anxiety I guess :roll:

Right now I´m in a bad moment or something with my braces, I just want them off. I keep imagining getting them off and how great it will be. It´s similar to the feeling I had before but just with less anxiety, that these brackets needs to get off my teeth. How I can do it myself or how to get Eric to agree to it. Stupid thoughts I know.... I won´t do it but the feeling to that these things need to get of my teeth are so strong...
I need to find my motivation again... It kinda got lost back there somewhere... One day I´m friends with my braces, I forget that I even have them and other days we are nemesis and we hate each other.

[/url]

Kipepeo

#446 Post by Kipepeo »

Ebony, I totally hear you on the friend/foe thing. While I would never have someone just take them off, I do joke about it. My reasons are different than yours...not based on any anxiety, just plain so over all this, and ready to be done. It's kind of like the last weeks of pregnancy...you know you have to continue, but you just want your body back.

Are you able to preoccupy yourself with fun stuff so you're not thinking about them? Hang in there. Do you know how much longer you may have? (Sorry if you posted this and I missed it?)

Mylovedtheeth

#447 Post by Mylovedtheeth »

EbonyQ, you are my inspiration. I keep telling myself if you can I can also. :D
I'm debraced after 2 rears and 1 weak of treatment.

TMJJill

#448 Post by TMJJill »

Hi Ebony,

I think your capacity for empathy makes a huge difference in how you are able to relate to your patients. You can learn all the skills in the world, but without empathy and the ability to engage with the patient you would never be the kind of assistant that makes patients feel comfortable and confident in their care.

I hear you about the love/hate thing. I got my uppers on exactly 19 months ago. I've had my 'finishing' wire on them now for 8 months and they are pretty much done. Now, my lowers are a complete other story. My lower left side is moving slower than a snail. My orthodontist is still trying to get some of my teeth to erupt. Until that happens, I can't even begin moving a couple of the teeth into position since they need to be rotated a bit. I had brackets on a couple of these teeth even before I got my lowers on just so I could wear "V" elastics. I've had teeth undertied, with the archwire under the bracket behind the hook, and I've been wearing a wall of "V's" and the teeth are barely moving. :( They are constantly sore so you would think they would be choosing to move, wouldn't you? Anyway, I know I will eventually get to the finish line, but when I go so long without seeing the progress that I need I start getting that 'antsy' feeling like I'm ready to be done. I chose to committ myself to this process to fix my bite and address my tmjd so I have to see it through, but it doesn't make things any easier at times.

I will share that I'm feeling like I'm learning to be my own 'assistant' at times. I have a missing bracket on my lower right #6... it is a crown and I've swallowed 2 brackets that popped off of it. Since the teeth around it have already erupted, I know I'll have to replace the crown with one that is taller. Anyway, because my wire goes from my #5 to my back #7 it isn't as stable and constantly ends up popping out of the tube on my back molar. I've become an expert with the tweezers and mirror to put the thing back into place. :) I've also learned how to 'fix' sliding wires, pokey wires and moving wrapped wire hooks. They also taught me how to open up my SL brackets so I don't have to visit them as often when I'm having these problems.

You do realize how far you have come don't you? Just that alone should help you get through this slump.

Wishing you well.
TMJJill

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Tobilei

#449 Post by Tobilei »

I would love to have someone with so much empathy as a dental assistant!

And I hear you on the anxiety. I suffer in general and I'm finding the braces experience rather tough at times. I can certainly identify with that intense and sudden need to have them off and have them off NOW! It passes, but it's horrible while you're experiencing it.

EbonyQ

#450 Post by EbonyQ »

Thanks for the support guys! I feel a little better now but I still can´t stop the feeling that they need to go off my teeth.

Kipepeo: I don´t know how long I have left because we have been going so many times back and forth, I think it´s basically up to me.
If I only want to close the extraction gaps and reduce my over jet I don´t think I have that many months left, but if I want to fix everything (which is a lot, crossbite, scissorbite, deep bite, overjet, asymmetry etc) it might be as long as 1,5 years left. I don´t think I will go for the latter, I´m happy with the first one.

I can always get braces later if I want to fix more things! :wink:

[/url]