Am I the oldest in active treatment?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

plugnickel69

Am I the oldest in active treatment?

#1 Post by plugnickel69 »

I'm 66 in my 14th month with ceramic braces, second time around. Although my original estimate was between 1 and 3 years, my ortho told me where getting close to finishing. Am in SureSmile wires to do final tweakings and triangle elastics to bring my bite into place.

I constantly interact with people professionally and can honestly say that braces have had no impact on my work life. As I've been happily married for well over 40 years, dating is not an issue, and my wife, who also had braces twice is supportive.

Other people don't say anything, don't stare, don't care.

Anyway, anyone on this site older than I and still in braces?

isthistaken

Re: Am I the oldest in active treatment?

#2 Post by isthistaken »

You've got me beat by over a decade! :thumbsup:

xanidu2012

#3 Post by xanidu2012 »

I just turned 51 on 21st of march. In my braces 10 months. Sentenced to 24 months.

Sita

#4 Post by Sita »

Oldest person I know of having treatment is my brothers father in law. He's 68. If that helps any. :-)

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

klobird

#5 Post by klobird »

57 here, but my ortho says he has a patient in her 80's! Musta been on her bucket list!

My experience has been the same--nobody says anything, nobody cares--I thought kids would be rude about it, but actually they don't give a 2nd look either! I hope it just keeps getting more and more normal for oldies like us to get braces--and dentures go out of style!

Chicken

#6 Post by Chicken »

I am 48 and my mother and my daughter both asked me if I was to old to have braces. I was upset.

plugnickel69

#7 Post by plugnickel69 »

No one's ever made a comment to me about braces and my age. It's unfortunate that there are people out there who are unthinking and have no idea how hurtful they can be.

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

Nor I. There are a myriad of reasons an older person might have braces.

1. They want them for cosmetic reasons.
2. They had braces earlier and their teeth have shifted.
3. They have bite issues and are losing teeth to decay, breakage, gum recession, bone loss.
4. They have lost teeth and need to reposition remaining teeth to prevent further damage, and for appearance.
5. They have joint problems.
6. They have been involved in an accident.

Not one of these reasons, or others I may have missed, is any reason to diss someone. Really, what has become of social mores and self-control? Just blurt out whatever crosses your pathetically rude mind I guess. :yikes:

plugnickel69

#9 Post by plugnickel69 »

I believe that people who make these rude sorts of comments are insecure and very often in need of dental/orthodontic work themselves. Making comments that put down others is their way of boosting their own self-confidence. They may not even realize the negative impact of their comments.

Another way to look at things...When you are thinking about getting braces or get get braces you tend to look at other people's teeth and realize how many others need orthodontic work. While not saying anything, they may be in awe of you for having the self-confidence to get braces, wishing they had the courage (or the money) to go through the process themselves.

foysie

#10 Post by foysie »

Good on you - I am 57 and I did have one older lady at work tell me when I told them I was getting braces -
"at your age !". Then she showed me her teeth and hers were not good !
So maybe some jealously there ?

All the lovely young women at work are highly supportive and don't seem to think its a strange thing for me to do - in fact, I have been asking lots of questions from them as some of these girls have braces or have had them.

Everyone I tell shows me their teeth and comments how unhappy they are with their teeth mostly !

Now my sister, 61, wants to do braces also !!

crooked rory

#11 Post by crooked rory »

I was on an inpatient stroke rehabilition at 30. I was at least 10 to 15 years younger than anyone there. Funny I feel like I am 15 to 30 years older than everyone at the orthodontist. I found it pretty ironic that I went getting out from stroke rehabilition to my orthodontist 2 days for an adjustment.
I hope made sense. If you want to get better looking teeth and you are 100 years old, more power to you. Better doing it than having regret.

lizart

#12 Post by lizart »

I will be 50 in May... I am a teacher and my students are facinated by the orthodontic hardware on my teeth, the kindergarteners ask me to show my "bracelets". They then make bizarre expressions, showing me their teeth while touching / pinching each of their teeth. It is kind of a bonding experience/ educational experience... if I say a word that sounds off... they blame it on the "bracelets".... those tounge twisters really do me in!

bbsadmin

#13 Post by bbsadmin »

crooked rory wrote:I was on an inpatient stroke rehabilition at 30. I was at least 10 to 15 years younger than anyone there. Funny I feel like I am 15 to 30 years older than everyone at the orthodontist. I found it pretty ironic that I went getting out from stroke rehabilition to my orthodontist 2 days for an adjustment.
I hope made sense. If you want to get better looking teeth and you are 100 years old, more power to you. Better doing it than having regret.

How are you doing lately, Rory, recovering from your stroke?
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

plugnickel69

#14 Post by plugnickel69 »

Now my sister, 61, wants to do braces also !![/quote]

foysie, Tell your sister to go for it! Too many youngsters on this forum! :D

TimSeattle

#15 Post by TimSeattle »

I got braces at age 55 and had them until age 58. It's the best thing I ever did for my teeth! They've looked great ever since and because my bite is corrected, I should keep my teeth until the end. I practice excellent dental hygiene, as evidenced by the comments from my hygienist every time I have my teeth cleaned.
"Every tooth in a man's mouth is more valuable than a diamond" Don Quixote

Braces On: 5/2004
Braces Off: 3/2007