Braced for Braces!! CAN'T WAIT- tomorrow is the day

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

amyhenna

Braced for Braces!! CAN'T WAIT- tomorrow is the day

#1 Post by amyhenna »

Tomorrow my orthodontist will be affixing my bottom "social six" in clear brackets. My stomach flutters whenever I think about it. I can't believe it's finally happening. I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. It seems so exciting.

I keep feeling like this is my last day on Earth to eat food. I ate two ciabatta rolls yesterday after work, which I normally wouldn't do, and today I'm eating Dove chocolates. I know this is not the best decision, for any teeth or for any health reason (unless trying to induce a state of non-health) but I feel like this is it for me.

I don't know what I'll be eating after tomorrow, but I don't care. I figure the excitement of braces should coast me right through the next two years and I'll be so happy to flash my brace face that I won't even notice a slight tinge of hunger from 18-24 months without food :-)

Seriously, I plan to put a bunch of vegetables in a food processor or blender for food. My orthodontist says I'll be able to eat, but I don't want to disrupt the gear.

I'm going to have GEAR!!! TOMORROW!!! :-) :-) :-)

sirwired

Re: Braced for Braces!! CAN'T WAIT- tomorrow is the day

#2 Post by sirwired »

Before they even put the wire on, your bracket's cement will be fully cured. As long as you stay away from the foods you'll have to avoid for the next couple of years (popcorn, whole carrots, whole apples, really chewy bagels, etc.) you'll be fine. Eat whatever the pressure in your mouth will tolerate.

Pop 2-3 Advil before your appt. to pre-treat some of the inflammation pain you'll almost certainly feel a few hours afterwards. (Braces pain isn't because of the pressure, which is just a few grams, but rather the nerve inflammation caused by the constant pressure.)

amyhenna

#3 Post by amyhenna »

Thanks for the tip! That's interesting that the pain is from nerve inflammation rather than pressure. What causes the nerve inflammation?

isthistaken

#4 Post by isthistaken »

Food is an issue. I didn't realize how much of an issue, because my kid was an absolute trooper about it. It is a HUGE adjustment, but 4 weeks in for me, and I am getting used to the deprivation, plus finding new and different foods to keep myself alive. You can do it.

isthistaken

#5 Post by isthistaken »

I am also interested in the nerve inflammation--I didn't know that. Sounds like that could be bad, cause a root canal? :(

sirwired

#6 Post by sirwired »

The nerve inflammation is a perfectly normal response to the constant stimulus caused by the action of the braces. (Despite the feeling of "pressure", it's only a few grams at any one time.) While it feels like somebody is tapping your gums with a hammer, the forces involved are quite weak.

It's not going to cause visible swelling, and not permanent or damaging to your face, gums, or roots. But since it's an inflammatory response, ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc. will often be effective in reducing the pain. If a medical professional (like your ortho) gives their ok, you may be able to use those medications (short term) at greater than OTC doses for greater relief.

Really, the specific cause of the pain is less important than the fact that taking some OTC pain relief BEFORE your appt. may be effective in dulling the pain afterwards.

Tobilei

#7 Post by Tobilei »

Yay! I promise, you will be amazed at the foods you still manage to stuff into your face. For me the initial 6 weeks to 2 months was difficult, but after that it was on. I avoid REALLY hard food, but otherwise am busy stuffing my face with all the old favourites (and you'll discover that there's much deliciousness to be had that is soft too-ice cream, custard, yoghurt, smoothies.......)

sirwired

#8 Post by sirwired »

To emphasize: Do not, under any circumstances, eat popcorn while in braces.

The problem isn't necessarily that you'll crunch down on an unpopped kernel, popping or breaking a bracket or wire (though that certainly can happen, it can be easily fixed.) The danger is that part of a popped hull (the "skin" on a kernel) will wedge itself between a bracket and your gums, possibly causing permanent damage you'll need a gum graft to correct. You may not even notice there is a problem until it is too late.

I don't know of any other food that presents this particular danger.

klobird

#9 Post by klobird »

Good deal--braces for you at last!! I remember how excited I was--and it really does not seem that long ago...you will be so happy seeing the results happen before your eyes...

Yes, do take Ibuprofen before your appointment. It's not a terrible pain, it's more like an aching pressure that Ibuprofen works well to subdue.

Good luck on your journey--this is a great website to find an answer or suggestion for almost any issues you have!

Ciara

#10 Post by Ciara »

Good luck! You've probably had your appointment by now so I hope it went well.

amyhenna

#11 Post by amyhenna »

Thanks, all :jump: :-**

I am so excited there are just no words. I can't believe I'm doing this! My appointment is in four hours. I'm at work right now, doing some last minute things before The Plunge. I so can not wait.

I'm only getting the bottom "social six" today. I haven't told my parents, but I've told my coworkers. My parents live in Florida so by the time they come back up here see me it will be June, by which time I should have a full mouth of brackets. I am a little worried about their reaction for some reason, but I figure I can worry about that later.

I'm practicing colors on my fonts for when I get to choose some for my ligs!

How can anyone not want to do something that allows them to "pick a color"? I've always loved picking a color. (crayons, fonts, shirts, lipstick, etc.)

Kezza

#12 Post by Kezza »

amyhenna wrote:Thanks, all :jump: :-**

I am so excited there are just no words. I can't believe I'm doing this! My appointment is in four hours. I'm at work right now, doing some last minute things before The Plunge. I so can not wait.

I'm only getting the bottom "social six" today. I haven't told my parents, but I've told my coworkers. My parents live in Florida so by the time they come back up here see me it will be June, by which time I should have a full mouth of brackets. I am a little worried about their reaction for some reason, but I figure I can worry about that later.

I'm practicing colors on my fonts for when I get to choose some for my ligs!

How can anyone not want to do something that allows them to "pick a color"? I've always loved picking a color. (crayons, fonts, shirts, lipstick, etc.)
GOODLUCK! I'll be rooting for ya! :wink: Come back on later and let us know how it went! :jump:
39 year old woman.

Upper Ceramic Braces Put On 16/4/2013.
Lower Metal Braces put on 9/9/2013.

sirwired

#13 Post by sirwired »

Heh. Some of us are fuddy-duddy's and walk around with boring wire-colored ligs. I can only imagine the reaction amongst the group of engineers I work with if I were to show up sporting fluorescent donuts on my brackets.

Although I suppose they might make an exception for ACC basketball colors here in Raleigh this time of year! (I'd have to wear Red and White, as my wife went to NC State. Go Pack!)

isthistaken

#14 Post by isthistaken »

Are you all referring to some kind of ties that go on the brackets? My brackets open and close so I guess I'm "stuck with" all metal. If so, this might be a good thing, since I would be the type to go for fluorescent fuschia. Or perhaps something with little skulls on it. :jokerlaugh:

Tobilei

#15 Post by Tobilei »

Good luck for today!!! Hope it's all going well :)

Isthistaken, yep, the little rubbery rings that go around brackets. Sounds like you have self ligating so no o-rings.