Brace day on March 19th!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jmjohnson317

Brace day on March 19th!

#1 Post by jmjohnson317 »

Hey, new guy here, I'm finally doing what I should have done as a teen...

I'm getting braces.
My teeth have always been really bad, I never smile with my teeth showing... Ever, I never laugh without covering my mouth and I even kind of mumble just so people can't look inside my mouth while I talk.

So, I'm doing Six Month Smiles, as I don't have any big problems with my bite.
I've already done my consultation, got all my cavities filled and did my impressions.
Oh and I'm just getting them on the top, my bottom teeth are fine.

I'm super excited and nervous and would love any and all advice

Also I'm a 22 year old guy... just in case you were wondering.

Angel269

Re: Brace day on March 19th!

#2 Post by Angel269 »

Hi welcome

I have ceramic uppers with a coated archwire and have been in treatment for just over 8 months. I had braces to close an upper midline diastema.

I hope that you will see changes really quickly, as it just makes you realise that what you have done is the right thing.

I can empathise with the whole smiling, laughing and talking thing. I'm 25 yr old female, married and a mum of 1. I did this after getting over a severe dental phobia around 4 years ago, as my phobia prevented me from doing this as a teen (even though it would have been NHS at the time).

I am so glad that I have finally done this, despite having to pay for the treatment as I feel so much better about myself and will finally see the finished result next week.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Tobilei

#3 Post by Tobilei »

Hi! Welcome to the board. Good luck for bracing day :)

jmjohnson317

#4 Post by jmjohnson317 »

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to getting my braces on because it means one step closer to a better smile and way more confidence.

But I'm also super nervous, any tips on surviving the first couple weeks?

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

Hi and good luck! Im just now finalizing my decision so you are 2 steps ahead of me.

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

jmjohnson317 wrote:Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to getting my braces on because it means one step closer to a better smile and way more confidence.

But I'm also super nervous, any tips on surviving the first couple weeks?
Soft foods! And lots of orthodontic wax and be sure you have some painkillers in the house just in case.

Some of us find it really painful at first, but an equal amount of people don't feel a thing so try nto to stress too much about it :)

jmjohnson317

#7 Post by jmjohnson317 »

Good luck to you too, especially when you get your impressions. You're going to need it, that stuff made me gag and I'm fairly sure I swallowed some of it.

And thanks for the soft foods suggestion, I'm sure I'll be living on mashed potatoes and oatmeal.

Tobilei

#8 Post by Tobilei »

Yep, smoothies are good too. Yoghurt is nice, ice cream is amazing (when isn't it though? :P). Scrambled eggs and bread dipped in hot soup work well also :) It only takes a few days and you can start adding soft but slightly chewier foods like bread and pasta :)

jmjohnson317

#9 Post by jmjohnson317 »

I thought ice cream was implied lol.
I didn't even think about scrambled eggs though, that'll be a good one. Thanks.

Tobilei

#10 Post by Tobilei »

Haha, yes, ice cream goes without saying really doesn't it? ;)

Oh custard is good too if you like custard (who says you're going to lose weight in braces? :P)

jmjohnson317

#11 Post by jmjohnson317 »

Yes I love custard, I had hoped the braces would actually help me drop a bit of weight, looks like that I'd out of the question. haha

Ciara

#12 Post by Ciara »

Good luck with your journey! I'm one of the ones who have not had any pain and I also discovered that there are many, many high calorie soft foods - I'd stocked up on lots but didn't really need them! So your braces may or may not help with weight loss.

jmjohnson317

#13 Post by jmjohnson317 »

I really hope I have very minimal pain but I'm not getting my hopes up, I have a pretty pitiful pain tolerance haha

amyhenna

#14 Post by amyhenna »

I'll be getting mine on shortly after you, so be sure to post all the details, okay?

Good luck!!!

beckyboo0205

#15 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I get mine on March 16th!