"We have had a cancellation. Can you be here at 8 tomorrow?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

2XRound

"We have had a cancellation. Can you be here at 8 tomorrow?

#1 Post by 2XRound »

:shock: Here we go, brace day just got moved up. I am delighted to get spacers out but am freaked at the posssibility of lisping :oops: through a talk I have to give tomorrow afternoon. I had hoped no one would notice my clear braces, but I am afraid they are going to hear them.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

jem

Re: "We have had a cancellation. Can you be here at 8 tomor

#2 Post by jem »

What you hear when you speak is very different from what others hear. What may sound awful to us may not be noticeable to others.

I don't think many people with regular fixed braces and no other appliances do acquire a lisp, but even if you do have a lisp with your braces at first,it is likely to be so minor as not to be noticeable to anyone but you.

Talking slowly and deliberately should help with any speech difficulty and is usually a good approach to presenting anyway as I am sure you know.

The upside of having to do your talk so soon after getting your braces is that you will have conquered any self-consciousness on day 1.

Good luck tomorrow both at 8am and with your talk.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Bikerchick85

#3 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Congrats to you for your big day tomorrow! How exciting!!! As much as these things drive me crazy, I'm so happy to be doing it! Remember... 3rd time's a charm!! <that's what I keep telling myself, anyway!> :mrgreen:

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

oldfart

#4 Post by oldfart »

Can you remember last time? More nervous, or less nervous this time around.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

2XRound

#5 Post by 2XRound »

More nervous because I know what the next 6 weeks are going to be like.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

Good luck for today!!! Try not to worry about the lisp. I hated the way I sounded when I got mine on but not even my family who live with me noticed at all. I still get self conscious from time to time when I kind of whistle through one of the brackets but no one else has noticed that either thank goodness.

Angel269

#7 Post by Angel269 »

Good luck tomorrow :-)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

I seldom take cancelled appointments.

Ciara

#9 Post by Ciara »

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. I had lots of speech issues the 1st time round but almost none this time. I had to give a speech 2 days after I got my upper ones on and I was fine. Nobody could tell except me.

marybee

#10 Post by marybee »

Good luck!!!! You'll do great and let us know how it went! :thumbsup:

Bikerchick85

#12 Post by Bikerchick85 »

Good luck today!! :D

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

2XRound

The are on, but wow they feel big!

#13 Post by 2XRound »

Thanks for your good thoughts to everyone who posted. My appointment went smoothly as I was the first patient of the day fo my crew. Pain subsided as the horrible spacers were pulled out; however the cheek retractors toook up the slack. My teeth are busy snuggling up to the archwires as I write this. Some protests from one wonky guy who doesn't like being pushed around, but the others feel pretty good. The good news is I love the appearance of the clear brackets, they are almost unnoticeable. :) The bad news is that they feel really big and I think they make my upper lip stick out :oops: , but that may be caused by the molar build-up which effectively prevents me from closing my mouth. My diet stareted with the spacers, but at the current rate I will be down from an 8 to a 6 by the time I can chew. Bought a big purse yesterday to haul around my portable dental office of cleaning and related equipment. Speech is only slightly impaired and I need to talk more slowly in any event. So maybe my braces will train me. No elastics today, but the molar bands have the awful hooks on them waiting for the happpy day. I will get to wear them soon eough. :cry:

[color=#0080FF]

isthistaken

#14 Post by isthistaken »

Dittoes on the weight loss. I have lost most of my winter spare tire.

Ciara

Re: The are on, but wow they feel big!

#15 Post by Ciara »

2XRound wrote:Thanks for your good thoughts to everyone who posted. My appointment went smoothly as I was the first patient of the day fo my crew. Pain subsided as the horrible spacers were pulled out; however the cheek retractors toook up the slack. My teeth are busy snuggling up to the archwires as I write this. Some protests from one wonky guy who doesn't like being pushed around, but the others feel pretty good. The good news is I love the appearance of the clear brackets, they are almost unnoticeable. :) The bad news is that they feel really big and I think they make my upper lip stick out :oops: , but that may be caused by the molar build-up which effectively prevents me from closing my mouth. My diet stareted with the spacers, but at the current rate I will be down from an 8 to a 6 by the time I can chew. Bought a big purse yesterday to haul around my portable dental office of cleaning and related equipment. Speech is only slightly impaired and I need to talk more slowly in any event. So maybe my braces will train me. No elastics today, but the molar bands have the awful hooks on them waiting for the happpy day. I will get to wear them soon eough. :cry:
I have made it down to a size 6 (Uk 10) from an 8 (UK 12). A 6 is now a little too big too - I think I'm between a 6 and 4 now. My weight loss is mainly due to having to eat much more slowly, no snacking (brushing is too much hassle) and cutting out sweet foods except on Sundays.