Does anyone actually have traditional metal braces anymore

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rhibee83

Does anyone actually have traditional metal braces anymore

#1 Post by rhibee83 »

Hi Kids

I am getting my braces on hopefully within 2 weeks, and I am getting upper and lower traditional metal braces. I was happy with that idea and thought ok cool, they will be FINE. BUT.....

It seems like EVERYONE on the forum has ceramic upper and metal lower..... Am I the odd one out?? My ortho advised me not to get ceramic as they arent as strong, I will need them on longer, etc etc so I thought ok, I will go all metal, but I see everyone has the cereamic and dont seem to have any problems with them...

Sigh... what do I do :(

TMJJill

Re: Does anyone actually have traditional metal braces anymo

#2 Post by TMJJill »

I'd go with whatever you are most comfortable with. Regardless of what you choose, you are doing a good thing for yourself. :thumbsup:

Originally, I had planned on metal uppers, but when they offered the clears with no significant cost difference I ended up going with the clears.

I will say that most metal brackets are smaller than the clear ones. That is a good advantage. A lot of people with clears also really worry about staining the lighter color ligs since they start out less noticable. If you are confident enough, you can have fun with your colors.

One thing I've learned over the last couple years of ortho treatment is that noone really notices but you. I've been through splint therapy and am 1 1/2 years into braces and most people really don't notice or seem to care that you have braces. From what I've read on these boards, it really doesn't matter what kind of braces you have either.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Sita

#3 Post by Sita »

There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether or not ceramic braces are just as good as the metal ones. Some orthos say it doesn't make a difference and others say it does.

I have ceramic uppers and I think that they are less noticeable. Most people don't notice that I have them until I mention them. I say just go with what you're comfortable with.

Ceramic uppers, metal lowers put on March 6 2012 to fix spacing issues and traumatic malocclusion. Estimated treatment time is 24 months.

beckyboo0205

#4 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I am getting the ceramic uppers and lower metal just because there wasn't a cost difference for me (but they cost plenty to begin with).

jem

#5 Post by jem »

There are lots of people on here with metal brackets top and bottom. You will be fine with them.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

My ortho told me there would be no difference with my treatment time or end result with the ceramics. I also have self ligating brackets on top which have no ligatures (that's the bit that stains, not the bracket). I do worry a little about the bottom staining but really only with curry and turmeric. I've eaten tomato paste, tomato soup and drink 2-3 coffee's a day and the smoke ligs on the bottom have never stained (actually it's been 2 weeks and the white one's I currently have haven't stained either).

I've also yet to break a bracket. I had one debond but my ortho said that was because the enamel on that tooth is different (it was a metal one anyway which I have on my molars).

I honestly love my clear one's despite them being slightly larger. Go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I see plenty of people around with metals still.

KatrinkaNoir

#7 Post by KatrinkaNoir »

Honestly, with my small mouth and overbite, I should have just gotten the smaller metal on top.

isthistaken

#8 Post by isthistaken »

I have upper and lower full metal braces. Old school all the way. I was told there was no difference except price, which was considerable. It was a difficult decision.

JumpTheDitch

#9 Post by JumpTheDitch »

I had metal upper & lower braces first time around about 7 yrs ago. A co-worker also had adult braces while I had mine but she had ceramic. I did feel a but like a kid having the metal but had fun with colours while she stayed with incognito.

My ortho didnt state an opinion regarding the speed or effectiveness of any type of braces over another, but oddly he did have an opinin on powerchains. He reckoned plain gray was always faster than any coloured powerchains!

Im not sure what I'll be getting this time around; I dont know if my dentist does ceramics or self-ligating, I'm hoping for self-ligating, metal would b fine

midnight

#10 Post by midnight »

I have metal uppers & lowers. I didn't have a choice but I'm happy with them.

klobird

#11 Post by klobird »

I have Damon Q all metal uppers and lowers for the same reason--they are stronger for the hard jobs apparently. They have been totally fine, and comfortable as far as the brackets, and no ligs are required. They are self-ligating.

Also, I am supposed to get mine off next month, and with the all metal all he does is snip them off--about a 5 minute procedure. I understand that the ceramic need to be chipped off, or something like that. It's supposed to take longer with ceramic.

I haven't had anyone react negatively to my braces, and I am 57yrs old this Sunday!

CarrieG

#12 Post by CarrieG »

I have traditional all metal uppers and will have the same for my lowers when I get them in another month or so. For my case, my dentist said that metal ones would move my teeth faster and she's had fewer problems with metal braces. Since it wasn't really an issue for me, I just went with what she recommended.

anarchy45

#13 Post by anarchy45 »

I have metal upper braces, and a brackets on the bands of the appliance in the bottom of my mouth... it'll be quite a few months before getting full lower braces. I actually like the metal, because they're shiny and I can decorate them with colored ligatures :D

Alisonpv

#14 Post by Alisonpv »

I'm going to aim for Damon clears on top and metal on the bottom.. but if there is a cost prohibitive or other reason to go traditional metal braces, I won't be severely disappointed.... I learned recently there are glow in the dark ties.... (big kid at heart ;) )

I got my braces on June 21, 2013

amyhenna

#15 Post by amyhenna »

I think you are so lucky! I love the look of metal braces top and bottom. They are tiny and cute, and look awesome with colored ligatures. I wish I could do the traditional metal mouth, but allergies to metals relegate me to ceramic, and even that's iffy. We're going to allergy test me to the brackets and adhesive prior to full mouth application.

You're so lucky! I love those cute little metal brackets. Ceramics brackets seem bigger and less cute, from what I've seen in the pictures, but I'm sure I'll learn to love them once they're on.