Reversing extractions - Update

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

diesel

Reversing extractions - Update

#1 Post by diesel »

Back in July I realized i was very dissatisfied with my orthodontic treatment which had involved pulling 4 teeth out and retracting. My profile had taken a turn for the worse. It was a really stressful time because I didn't know who to look to and if any orthodontist would be willing to help reverse what had been done.
luckily, I found an orthodontist who also has extensive craniofacial knowledge and he informed me that THIS was actually the cause of the terrible headaches i'd been getting, as well as my slouched posture, due to the airway being affected by the closing of the extractions and the elastics. Basically my neck was tilted forward pigeon-like to try and open up my airway more, since the teeth were so retracted. It was more of a disaster than I thought. I never could have imagined that this had health implications. The doctor told me that a lot of adults who come to him and tell him about their headaches coincidentially had extractions in their youth, and the situation is helped a lot by undoing the damage. A lot of people out there are likely oblivious and taking prescription headache meds.

Well, right now my extractions are about 1/2 of the way open. There are thin wire expanders on the back of my teeth, pushing on the bone. The teeth also seem inclined to move forward themselves naturally, which helps. They haven't gone crooked at all either. I'm feeling a lot better, breathe better, and have more energy. My cheekbones are coming back, and profile improving dramatically.
I was not able to get even a partial refund from my old orthodontist, not even for the retainer portion of the treatment which had not begun yet at the time.

Not looking forward to implant payments or any of that...but atleast something is being done right this time.

VA5

#2 Post by VA5 »

Wow, that is a lot of work that you have to do, but if that means you'll not only look better, but you'll feel better too, then I think that's great.

I'm glad you found what was wrong and that you are able to resolve it.

diesel

#3 Post by diesel »

I know... the thought of not being able to turn back time kills me..!!

Not to scare people on this forum, but really think things through before pulling out any teeth

Lynette

#4 Post by Lynette »

That's great you found an ortho that can help you get your teeth the way you want.

I had no idea that something like extractions could have an impact on your health.

I had extractions last time I had braces, 5 to be exact. I wish there could've been a way to keep all my teeth (feels wrong to just yank out perfectly good teeth), but apparently I have big teeth in a small mouth and there was just no way they would all fit. I'm pretty happy with my extraction result though.

23 year old female with ceramic braces.

http://www.projectbraceface.wordpress.com

flutterby

Re: Reversing extractions - Update

#5 Post by flutterby »

Diesel, would you mind sharing the name and location {state} of the orthodontist who is helping you? I'm in the same boat and don't know where to start.

cranberry

#6 Post by cranberry »

Hi, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who's had spaces opened after extractions/treatment lately. I'm hoping to find an orthodontist that can help. I've been to one that only made me worse.

JumpTheDitch

#7 Post by JumpTheDitch »

Wow Diesel, that's pretty much my story in a nutshell. I know your posts are older so you may no longer be active on this board, but I'd love to know what expanders were used in your treatment, and how it all went for you. Like Flutterby, I'd also be interested in what part of the world you found someone to help you.

Cranberry, what did you have done exactly (in the reversal) and why hasn't it worked?? Has it made things worse or just not improved your situation?

LadyJennifer

Re:

#8 Post by LadyJennifer »

diesel wrote:I know... the thought of not being able to turn back time kills me..!!

Not to scare people on this forum, but really think things through before pulling out any teeth
Wow I'm sorry you went through that. I have to agree with the above, please do careful research people, before pulling healthy teeth.
I was on the brink of giving in to that treatment plan, but four extractions just didn't sit right with me. Reading this, I'm so glad I rethought it.
I hope you get the results you want!

Eta, I just realized this is an old post. I also am curious about your outcome.

jonathon003

#9 Post by jonathon003 »

i'd also be very interested in an update.

i had extractions a few years ago, followed by orthognathic surgery, and it's caused me much depression regarding my now sunken in face. i've recently been doing a lot of research about reversing extractions, but not finding many success stories out there. looking for any kind of hope lol.

kennyandrew85

#10 Post by kennyandrew85 »

I think it is less to do withh extractions and more to do with retraction. Glad things are getting better for you
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

isthistaken

#11 Post by isthistaken »

It always seems to be 4 extractions--for symmetry, I'm sure. A few years back an ortho I was consulting for my son was reassuring me he would not need any extractions, but he glanced at me and said I would. (I didn't even ask about braces for myself.) Fifteen years later I'm being treated with no extractions, Thank God!

kennyandrew85

#12 Post by kennyandrew85 »

People who's teeth fall out naturally don't get headaches and bad posture it must be down to retraction when your front teeth are pulled back to far that's causing airway issues. My extraction gaps have taken almost 2 years to close by letting the back teeth come forward so we can't just generalise extractions are all bad
Brace Date: 14th April 2011
Estimated Debrace Date: 14th April 2013
Real Debrace Date 18th June 2013

4 extractions, upper ceramic brackets and lower metal to fix overjet and overcrowding.

LadyJennifer

#13 Post by LadyJennifer »

kennyandrew85 wrote:People who's teeth fall out naturally don't get headaches and bad posture it must be down to retraction when your front teeth are pulled back to far that's causing airway issues. My extraction gaps have taken almost 2 years to close by letting the back teeth come forward so we can't just generalise extractions are all bad
People's teeth don't just "fall out naturally" unless you're referring to milk teeth falling out. If an adult's teeth are falling out its due to poor health, and how do you know it doesn't cause problems?
I'm glad your extractions haven't caused problems, but countless others have.

angryhead

#14 Post by angryhead »

ughhhhhhh whatever you do, dont get bicuspid extractions unless absolutely necessary!!! i'm in the process of reversing my previous treatment, in which 4 perfectly healthy teeth were taken out. it's a very tedious process though, and unfortunately all the orthos i've met with have been pig-headed and skeptical of the damage done (i'm in the UK, i'm not sure if that could be part of it?)

anyway, if you look at the following images you can see the HUGE difference extractions made on my smile and jaw:

Before

After

i now have a 'maxillary cant' (you can see how it slopes down to the right) my face is longer, my chin more narrow, my teeth tilt in, my lips are thinner, my arch smaller. i can go on and on. the good news is, i'm rebraced and things are looking better. i still get major anxiety when i think about my current treatment though, as i'm really nervous that i'll never look like i once did, or that my ortho won't do things to my liking (i feel like i have to spell everything out for him) but here's hoping! i'll post updated photos soon :)

Berryxiao

#15 Post by Berryxiao »

[quote="angryhead"]ughhhhhhh whatever you do, dont get bicuspid extractions unless absolutely necessary!!! i'm in the process of reversing my previous treatment, in which 4 perfectly healthy teeth were taken out. it's a very tedious process though, and unfortunately all the orthos i've met with have been pig-headed and skeptical of the damage done (i'm in the UK, i'm not sure if that could be part of it?)

anyway, if you look at the following images you can see the HUGE difference extractions made on my smile and jaw:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bbZid.jpg[/img]
Before

[img]http://i.imgur.com/mxIce.jpg[/img]
After

i now have a 'maxillary cant' (you can see how it slopes down to the right) my face is longer, my chin more narrow, my teeth tilt in, my lips are thinner, my arch smaller. i can go on and on. the good news is, i'm rebraced and things are looking better. i still get major anxiety when i think about my current treatment though, as i'm really nervous that i'll never look like i once did, or that my ortho won't do things to my liking (i feel like i have to spell everything out for him) but here's hoping! i'll post updated photos soon :)[/quote]

angryhead, your teeth looked very health before your extraction, and you looked better too. why you had to do the extraction?