Who applied your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

prairiehouse

Who applied your braces?

#1 Post by prairiehouse »

I'm just curious to know what's more common. Did your orthodontist apply your braces, or an assistant?

BracesChick

Re: Who applied your braces?

#2 Post by BracesChick »

Assistant. I was a little shocked about this.

SmileLikeUMeanIt

#3 Post by SmileLikeUMeanIt »

I also had an assistant put on my braces. After she was done, the Ortho checked them.

Female, 25
January 21st, 2013: Spacers Placed
January 26th, 2013: Porcelain Uppers with White Wire and Metal Lowers with Metal Wire
Sentence: 24 Months

Mylovedtheeth

#4 Post by Mylovedtheeth »

Assistant prepare teeth and add glue, then ortho applied braces he also set up wire and then assistant do ligatures at the end he checked.
I'm debraced after 2 rears and 1 weak of treatment.

junglejulie

#5 Post by junglejulie »

Mylovedtheeth wrote:Assistant prepare teeth and add glue, then ortho applied braces he also set up wire and then assistant do ligatures at the end he checked.

Same with mine. Except the ortho put on the glue too...

Getting rid of my diastema, finally

Dee17

#6 Post by Dee17 »

His assistant. But he checked everything before she used the blue light to cure the glue.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

zdenka

#7 Post by zdenka »

junglejulie wrote:
Mylovedtheeth wrote:Assistant prepare teeth and add glue, then ortho applied braces he also set up wire and then assistant do ligatures at the end he checked.

Same with mine. Except the ortho put on the glue too...
Same here. Ortho did the brackets and glue stuff and assitant added the wire. I am still surprised to this day how little contact I have with the ortho. I see her somewhat regularly but usually for about 5-10 mins max.
Total sentence 567 days. :)
Debond day: Dec 10, 2013

Dee17

#8 Post by Dee17 »

That's strange but I know all orthodontic practices are different. I've see mine every time I've gone in so far. But he does seem to have a lot of assistants working in his practice. About 7 or 8, it seems.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

Ciara

#9 Post by Ciara »

My ortho does almost everything. She cleans, brushes, applies etching, glue, places bracket, wire and metal ties etc. The assistant passes things to her, takes impressions, and removed my wire at my first and second adjustment. At my last adjustment, my ortho did everything, even giving me the anesthetic before my dentist came and replaced a temporary filling.

TMJJill

#10 Post by TMJJill »

My orthodontist does the glue and brackets. The assistants put the wires in, adjust the stoppers, put extra hooks on and take tons of pictures.

When I go in for 'fixes' in between ortho visits, the assistants usually take care of me. I see the orthodontist about 1/3 of the time on the 'in between' visits.

Braces as Phase II treatment for TMJD.
Lower mandibular repositioning splint 26 months.
Lower braces on 10.75 months into Phase II treatment.
Duration in braces: 2 years, 2 weeks, 5 days
Removal of Braces: September 18, 2013

TMJD treatment now complete!

Tobilei

#11 Post by Tobilei »

My ortho does pretty much everything. The assistant hands him the ligs and tools etc or holds the suction if need be but he does everything else. She did the drying when my brackets were placed and handed those to him, but he put them all on. He does all my adjustments also.

Kipepeo

#12 Post by Kipepeo »

Assistant preps the teeth and puts glue on the brackets. Ortho places the brackets and does a quick light cure. Assistant finishes up with more light cure, wire placing, power chains, bends, hooks, lacing. At my last visit, my ortho did everything. Mine will be this way from here on out. In fact, they made sure to book more doctor time for me next time.

junglejulie

#13 Post by junglejulie »

They know I ask a lot of questions, so I guess he makes sure he addresses my concerns.

Getting rid of my diastema, finally

kiwibug

#14 Post by kiwibug »

Orthodontist did everything the first appointment when they were put on. The assistant did the whole cleaning demonstration etc but that was it. First adjustment the orthodontist had a look first, assistant changed wires and o rings and then orthodontist came back to check everything and talk about what he's planning for the next visit.

beachmini

#15 Post by beachmini »

It was an assistant that placed all my brackets. The ortho came over and carefully checked the placement of each one. Then he gave the ok for the blue light to cure the glue.
For my adjustments, an assistant removes the ligs, and the ortho checks my progress and lets her know what needs to be done.