Were you charged extra for TAD?

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Were you charged extra for TAD?

#1 Post by 33333 »

They quoted me CAD $1000 per TAD but gave me an automatic 50% off. Still very expensive!

They even wanted to charge me for "bite adjustment" which was really just some filing on the top edge of some lower teeth.

IPR is teeth filing too, though done in between the teeth instead, and if there's no extra charge for filing between the teeth then why there's an extra cost to file the top/bottom edge of the teeth?

BracedSurgeryStudent

Re: Were you charged extra for TAD?

#2 Post by BracedSurgeryStudent »

I believe it is because they're fixing something cosmetic on the bottom of the teeth and the in between has to be to done for treatment. And Honestly a TAD screw shouldn't even cost that much extra if you think of the price of metal and the orthodontist should have that included. I'm also assuming your orthodontist will in the end of your treatment charge you extra like 500 per top and per bottom retainer. Don't loose them before they're the same price to replace if not more Sorry your orthodontist is all weird like that. I could see how expanders are 700 because the ortho puts them on and has to keep activating them and such but a simple TAD.
Jenn Medeiros

#3 Post by 33333 »

The filing had to be done because the lower teeth were hitting the upper. So I didn't expect a functional adjustment would cost me extra.

They said the cost of the TAD alone is $300 already! Orthos are rich!

freysmiles

#4 Post by freysmiles »

I can't say that I am a fan of upcharging for each little procedure either. Itemized billing gives the impression that you, the patient, is buying various items so that your orthodontist can use them. I think it is misleading and often looks bad. What your orthodontist is achieving for your face and smile with those tools is what is important, and it really should just be an all inclusive fee for service if you ask me (including retainers, bite adjustment, etc.).

I will occasionally break out a separate fee for a TAD supported tooth movement in a situation where the use of a TAD is not 100% certain from the outset of treatment. The patient will always be aware of this possibility from the beginning and I will always give the choice between TAD and no TAD and educate them on the difference between the two results so they can decide for themselves.

I really wouldn't fault your orthodontist, some of this itemized billing is a product of participating with insurance companies. Once you sign up as a participating doctor, insurance companies can tell you how to bill and how much and I find that this has a negative effect on the quality of care (and the profession) and puts the insurance company in the driver's seat instead of the patient and doctor (you can still submit to insurance even if you aren't a participating doctor - I don't participate for those reasons). I think you would also be surprised what just the TAD alone can cost ($100+ retail price) since it is an FDA regulated medical device.
Scott Frey DDS, MSD
Board Certified Orthodontist, FreySmiles Orthodontics
Speaker, Invisalign, Henry Schein Orthodontics
Founder, MorethanSmiles.org
AAOF Vanguard & Keystone Societies
Certificate of Orthodontics/Master's in Dentistry, University of Colorado
Fellow, World Congress of Minimally Invasive Dentistry
Faculty/Fellow, American Academy of Facial Esthetics
Top Writer 2012, '13, Quora

LilMiss

#5 Post by LilMiss »

What is a TAD?

freysmiles

#6 Post by freysmiles »

A TAD (temporary anchorage device) is a term some orthodontists use to describe a device that is placed in order to anchor teeth so that they move in the right direction.

Moving teeth is a lot like a tug of war, different groups of teeth are pulling against each other to produce tooth movement (just like Newton's Third Law - To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction). Some treatment goals require that one group of teeth get some help to win the tug of war or that teeth are moved in a direction that isn't really possible by anchoring off other teeth, that is where a TAD comes into play. Orthodontists can use these anchors to push or pull a group of teeth in exactly the direction they need and even keep groups of teeth from moving. This leads to better smiles and can help you avoid tooth extractions and even surgery in some cases.
Scott Frey DDS, MSD
Board Certified Orthodontist, FreySmiles Orthodontics
Speaker, Invisalign, Henry Schein Orthodontics
Founder, MorethanSmiles.org
AAOF Vanguard & Keystone Societies
Certificate of Orthodontics/Master's in Dentistry, University of Colorado
Fellow, World Congress of Minimally Invasive Dentistry
Faculty/Fellow, American Academy of Facial Esthetics
Top Writer 2012, '13, Quora

LilMiss

#7 Post by LilMiss »

Wow! Thanks for that. I haven't needed them so far.

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

I'm getting one (99% most likely) and the cost is about $315. The ortho is having an oral surgeon do it though. I am guessing that its probably a training/liability issue for the ortho not doing it. Which is fine with me.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

JillianElizabeth

#9 Post by JillianElizabeth »

IS it an attachment like if you are getting rubber bands with your Invisalign?

oldfart

#10 Post by oldfart »

It's a screw directly into the bone at the side of the jaw. For me its between two bicuspids. So they can hook an elastic to it.

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

JillianElizabeth

#11 Post by JillianElizabeth »

oh ok that makes sense!

cocomi

#12 Post by cocomi »

I have Invisalign and need to get TAD's too! Four total (two outside and two inside at the top).
I'm nervous about the price because I called two places (have to go to an oral surgeon) and they want me to pay for just a consultation and x-ray. :<