Oldfart Orthodontic Diary

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Oldfart Orthodontic Diary

#1 Post by oldfart »

Background: I am a 46 yr old who last finished orthodontic treatment in 2002 to primarily fix a posterior open bite. Even though I know that the only 100% way to fix it is surgery, I bypass and just did ortho work to fix it as much as possible. Pretty much as soon as the braces came off the bite reopened, although it was still about 50-70% better than it was pre braces.

Current: Had a root canal scheduled in a molar (next to the premolar) on the upper. Upon examination I was told it could not be saved and my options were implant, braces, or a crown. I chose braces. I will also be doing this with my two sons.

Plan: Move the back molar forward to close the gap, and as a secondary issue, try to make more progress on the open bite. Minor crowding, and over bite issues, but nothing too major there.

After numerous consults, fillings, cleanings, financial juggling.. the story begins.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

oldfart

Re: Oldfart Orthodontic Diary

#2 Post by oldfart »

Chapter 1 Records
Just a generic xray, impression (I chose grape, kids chose Root Beer), and spacer placement. The only issue there was between two molar crowns it seriously felt like they were pulling the roots of the teeth out of the jaw. But got it in. So six rather wimpy looking spacers. (Don't need any on side of the extraction.) Thats about a 12-14 mm gap there. I plan on getting an exact measurement next week.

Pain on evening one isn't bad at all. Molars have no pain at all. I can bite down anything on them and feel nothing. Premolar's are starting to get sore.. about a 2 on a 1-10 scale. Already am thinking it would be nice to just remove one for a few minutes to let those teeth relax.

Mental approach
I am going into this with a good attitude. Braces never bothered me much before. I can't stand Dentist pain like in drills and fillings, but pain and soreness for ortho work never affects me. I am completely intrigued by the mechanics, and anticipation of what is coming. I hate the way they look, but can completely have fun with what is going on. (Hence posting on this board.)

Next Date: Monday Feb 25th, full application top and bottom.

Have yet to come up with a good setup for a photo. But will work on it.

of

maeby

#3 Post by maeby »

Good luck with your second time around! I'm only on my first time in braces, but I'm like you, it doesn't really bother me and I'm really interested in the mechanics.The only thing I worry about is it not working out like it's supposed to (since that is a possibility with my teeth). I hope everything goes well for you... and your sons!
Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012

oldfart

#4 Post by oldfart »

Just ate a chocolate chip cookie. The cookie part was fine, but had to search around for teeth that weren't too sore to bite through the choc chips. Oh what fun this will be.

Kipepeo

#5 Post by Kipepeo »

My anchor molars are always sore since I've been wearing elastics. I can't eat chips or anything crunchy because of pain and also for fear of breaking a bracket off. I've popped off so many, because I have several crowns and the brackets don't stick well to them.

Let me just say that I can't wait to freely eat chips again...lots of chips....artisan chips.........black bean chips............chocolate chips (oh wait, those melt, nevermind)............bagel chips.............just load me up with chips, I say!

Tobilei

#6 Post by Tobilei »

I somehow manage to eat chips...........I'm not sure how. There are other foods that worry the heck out of me but chips isn't one of them (except for something like CC's because the garlic powder in them seems to stick to my braces and no matter how much I brush they taste of garlic for at least 24 hours. So disgusting.

marybee

#7 Post by marybee »

The second time around is much more improved than the first time, at least for me. I don't have bands on any teeth (especially the back ones where it seemed all the junk got caught!) and the self ligating braces are smaller. The visits are spaced farther apart, too!

Oh, and chips......I am so waiting for the day I can bite into a salt and vinegar kettle chip again....oh how I miss them and caramel apples...and baby carrots......and sandwiches without using a knife and fork and have 2 slices of bread instead of one........and granola..........

You'll do great, best of luck!

oldfart

#8 Post by oldfart »

56 hours to go...

The one thing I remember from last time.. Is every apt that I expected something to happen, I was normally wrong. I am just waiting to see what will go wrong this time.

Kipepeo

#9 Post by Kipepeo »

OF, we'll have none of that attitude now.

oldfart

#10 Post by oldfart »

Lol. They know its a packaged deal. All three of us or none. So pretty sure they will find a way to get me braced up. Especially since I am walking in with a check for 10k. Only issue i see now is the molar i need moved has discoloration at gum line. Hygenist couldnt clean it any better. And from what i can tell no cavity. Half expecting to be sent back just for a deep cleaning on that tooth. But i do know they have to straighten everything else to get to a square wire before moving it forward to help prevent it tipping inwards. So figure worst case is they do all except that tooth. Basically the molar has to move 10-12 mm. I know moving the back molar that far is a huge deal. Had one ortho said he wouldn't even try it. But others said they would, so hoping it can be done.

I wont find out exact treatment plan until 15 min before being braced. I know a TAD to assist in moving the molar is a most likely scenario, and the possibility of a TPA to prevent tipping has been mentioned.

44 hours and counting.

I would do a pic, but every camera I have I cannot find the cord to transfer photos, every memory card I have in those cameras wont work on my old PCs, and on my android. The lighting is so bad every pic makes my teeth look horrible yellow. (they are a bit, but not as bad as the photos.)

Kipepeo

#11 Post by Kipepeo »

Card readers are cheap.

oldfart

#12 Post by oldfart »

After spending my kids college funds on thier teeth. Like I have money for a card reader. :) Think I have a setup now that works. Trying.

Think I have a photo attached.

1) The distance the molar has to travel.
2) My ugly teeth on the bottom that will be crowned upon completion.
3) The posterior open bite.
4) The Molar discoloration. I just had the filling on the front of that tooth done and nothing was said about other cavities. And the hygenist just said I would eventually need a deep cleaning on that tooth (just two weeks ago) I honestly think it is left over from when I had braces 12 years ago. (The gap between the top of the band and the gum line.) I have no sensitivity there, no obvious hole. The picture actually makes it look worse than I can see with my little mirror. So after looking at the pic, expect to be sent back to have that filled or deep cleaned. But hoping everything else gets braced. I didn't notice it until after my records apt so didnt bring it up then.

Will try to do a front photo later.

of
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldfart

#13 Post by oldfart »

I apologize for the excess drooling in the photo.

At least I didn't need any spacers on that side.

oldfart

#14 Post by oldfart »

More boring photos. (Just for historical purposes)

Frontal view isn't bad. Its 90% about the molars. Slight overjet/overbite. Not sure what the difference is. Midline just a mm or two off. If it wasn't for the molar issues, I wouldn't be doing this.

of
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

junglejulie

#15 Post by junglejulie »

you have nice teeth!!!

Getting rid of my diastema, finally