Going Clear: the third time round

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

2XRound

Going Clear: the third time round

#1 Post by 2XRound »

I learned today that I will have to be rebraced for the third time so I thought I would start this mini-blog.

First step tomorrow at 9 x-rays and impressions. I will report on that
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]
[size=150]Alexandra (Alex)[/size][/color]

2XRound

Re: Going Clear: the third time round

#2 Post by 2XRound »

The dreaded metal separator. I wore these last time and they cause agonizing discomfort. The absolute worst part of wearing braces for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;29;124/st/20130308/e/Full+Braces+were+applied/k/91e6/event.png[/img]

[color=#0080FF]

Tobilei

#3 Post by Tobilei »

3 times! I've not had separators, my ortho seems to just put brackets on the back teeth rather than bands, they look bad though :( How long do you have to have them for?

2XRound

#4 Post by 2XRound »

I met with my new Orthodontist for the first time today. He is a friend of my regular dentist who sweetly called him and got me worked in on short notice. He asked me about my present problems and my prior ortododontia treatments and we discussed my concerns. I gave him copies of my prior x-rays. He then said, let’s have a look. He jammed in the dreaded lip spreader and looked and poked around my mouth and then excused himself and went and got his partner who also poked around in my mouth. The light was in my face but I gathered from their conversation that things weren’t going my way when I heard words like relapse, loose, migrated etc. He then asked his assistant to bring in a camera and take some pictures. He left and told his assistant to remove the spreader and bring me to his office. He said that he wanted to confer with his partner before he told me his diagnosis. I reapplied my lip stain and went to his office.
I was starting to get nervous as I waited, but after an agonizing 10 minutes he came in and described in painful detail what he had observed. He explained that my bonded retainers had failed long before I noticed it and that my teeth had been on the move ever since. In other words, I had relapsed big time. He added that my prior orthodontist had not handled my case the way he would have and finally that my compliance with retainer conventions had been less than stellar. He said I should have had my upper arch widened with a palatal expander. He said that until he had molds and new x-rays he wasn’t prepared to tell me my treatment options. I asked if this meant that I might not have to have braces and he said that no matter what options I might choose I was going to need full braces. Upon hearing this, my composure cracked and I started to tear up. After I recovered my composure he asked if I wanted to go home and think about it. I said no. I told him that if there is no viable alternative to wearing braces, and on the condition that I can have braces like Faith Hill’s , I wanted to get on with it; preferably this afternoon. He smiled and said he understood my desire to get this behind me, but that it would take about a month before I could be fitted with braces. He said that a couple of other patients had mentioned Faith Hill’s braces, but he could not promise the Faith Hill look until he had developed a comprehensive treatment plan. Fine I said, but make sure one of my options is clear tops and bottoms.
After hearing the procedure for getting a records appointment, a mold taking appointment, a treatment plan consult, spacer insertions, molar bands and finally braces I teared up again and asked if there was any way we could speed this process up and get them on sooner. I explained that the tension was driving me to distraction and that since I had seen this movie twice before and knew what was in store for me the anxiety was awful. Ignorance of adult orthodontia is truly bliss. He seemed genuinely moved by my emotional collapse and called his assistant in and told her to see if they could work me in tomorrow. As luck would have it they had just received a cancellation from a patient with the flu. They told me to sign the paper work tonight and bring it in at 9 in the morning and they would get me started. So here goes, the agony of waiting has begun.

[color=#0080FF]

Ciara

#5 Post by Ciara »

Oh wow! First, I think you have chosen a wonderful orthodontist. He sounds truly caring and understanding. I'm sorry you will have to have metal spacers...I had those as a teenager and they were the worst things ever. They caused me 10 days of pain that OTC painkillers did little to help with. Often ignorance is bliss.....

It really sounds as if your previous orthodontist did not do such a great job but at least now you are getting it all put right. As I said before, I really think you are very, very brave. I'd be a demented nut-job if someone told me I had to do this for the 3rd time.

Also, I'd really like to thank you for letting us know the dangers of a failed permanent retainer. I know I will have retainers for the rest of my life once treatment finishes this time. I now know that permanent retainers can fail, that wearing a removable retainer is a good backup and that it is important to be consistent. Your experience may actually save many of us here from a 2nd or 3 round with braces - thank you!

Hang in there....

Almost forgot - I have clear uppers and will be getting clear lowers too (I think). They really are not that noticeable at all.

Ciara

2XRound

#6 Post by 2XRound »

Notes from the waiting room on day 1 of my journey to new braces.

I have arrived early for my first appointment to have imperessions made. (see my miniblog to see how I got here) While waiting a stylishly dressed mother and two adorable twin twelve year old daughters came in and sat down. They were all unbraced so I guessed they might be there for the same reason I was. They were amazed to learn that someone my age was getting braces and they had lots of questions which I enjoyed trying to answer. It was clear that although they were slightly anxious they were really excited at the prospect of getting their new braces. They began talking among themselves about the things young girls obsess over: color of liggs, headgear, etc. The mother turned to me and told me that she too was getting braced for the first time. She had been quiet and I realized it was because she was scared to death of what she was getting in for. After a while she showed me her teeth and asked what I thought. I told her she would experience quite a bit more discomfort than her daughters, but that she would probably be the happiest one of the bunch when she saw how much better she was going to look. To make a long story short we agreed to have lunch after we get our braces fitted and compare notes. Gotta go now they are calling my name.

My mouth aches; the girl used too big a tray: I swear she had to pry them in. Oh well no doubt the first of many painful experiences to come. Next stop spacers and the beginning of my diet.

[color=#0080FF]

Bikerchick85

#7 Post by Bikerchick85 »

2XRound, I feel your pain (psychically & emotionally). This is my third time in braces as well. Slightly different reason for my third round though. But I know how aggravating it is to go thru this again and again! I've always been obsessed with having straight teeth! And I'm determined to get through this treatment and it be my last one!! Hang in there! Keep us updated! I have the ceramic uppers like Faith Hill and they are hardly noticeable! I don't really care what people think though! I'm spending $7000 on these and proud of em! The ceramics in my opinion are more comfortable. The hooks for elastics are no as sharp as the metal brackets (which I currently have on the lower, and had them for my first and 2nd rounds of treatment!) Third time is a charm! That's what I keep telling myself! :D

MY STORY.. http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=43860

*4 Premolar Extractions-Nov. 29th, 2012*
*Upper Ceramic Braces-Dec. 11, 2012*
*Lower Metal Braces-Feb. 11th, 2013*
*Est. Sentence-24 months*

denSMSgt

#8 Post by denSMSgt »

Looks like we could form a "third-timer's" club! I can add it to my "NEVER-EVER do fixed bonded retainers- they're RUBBISH" club of which I'm president! :tingrin:

rhibee83

#9 Post by rhibee83 »

heya :)

do you have your spaces in yet? I have mine in, the blue rings... they are coming out in 2 days tho thank god..

I cant eat... and I am angry and grumpy when I am hungry! lol

I can now eat bread thank god so I have been living on sandwiches as well as Icecream! lol

Molar bands go on 26/3. looks like we will have our braces on the exact same time according to your ticker :) I have to get 5 teeth out yet, on the 7th March...

Wish you all the luck and keep us all informed :) :flowerbloom:

rhibee83

#10 Post by rhibee83 »

ok so just to make you feel better about your metal spacers, I STILL have my spacers in cos I am a nut case and didnt realise that the molar bands were just getting fitted and moulded to see which ones fit my teeth and then taken out and then sent away to make the upper lingual arch I need. and now spacers are in for ANOTHER WEEK lol. Least I am getting used to them now and can eat better food like sandwiches and lasagne :) still no steak or chicken though :(

hope your journey is going well so far!!

Angel269

#11 Post by Angel269 »

So sorry to hear it will be your 3rd go.

It has been my first and I've done this as a 25 yr old Mum of one (started treatment at 24). I developed a major dental phobia as a child and refused to get braces hence why I have only addressed this now as an adult-I had an upper midline diastema.

I am being debraced Monday and will be getting a bonded retainer but will also be wearing an Essix retainer nightly too.

I hope that it all goes well.

Can't believe that a mother and her twin daughters will all be undergoing treatment together, that must be one major cost!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

2XRound

Re: Going Clear: the third time round-Spacers

#12 Post by 2XRound »

Spacers went in yeasteday. They had to used the metal ones and the pain is unrelenting. :cry: :cry: My diet has begun. I am counting the minutes till I get them out and get the braces on.

[color=#0080FF]

rhibee83

Re: Going Clear: the third time round-Spacers

#13 Post by rhibee83 »

2XRound wrote:Spacers went in yeasteday. They had to used the metal ones and the pain is unrelenting. :cry: :cry: My diet has begun. I am counting the minutes till I get them out and get the braces on.
:( i know how you feel, although, i do not have the metal ones so I am assuming they are stronger and put more pressure on?

Dont worry hun, you will just feel pain for maybe the first week, I couldnt eat bread or anything until maybe day 7?? I have had mine in for 2 weeks now (getting taken out tomorrow) and I can eat lasagne, bread, banana's, mcdonalds! (lol!) so give it time and you will be able to eat again. I felt like I was hungry all the time when I first got them and felt like I had lost a bit of weight which for me was awesome lol but now i am back to eating bad stuff (cos it is still soft like hot cross buns! haha) and I think I have put my weight back on lol.

You will get there :) I hope the pain goes away soon and how long are they in for?

I also made myself some blended up pumpkin soup, blended canned fruit with yoghurt, porridge is good to just suck down lol, scrambled eggs were a life saver. anything like that, even lasagne isnt to bad cos its pretty soft :) My teeth are still pretty tender and I STILL cannot bite down on my left side, but I can use the back molars on my right to bite the soft food if I need.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey :) :flowerbloom:

Tobilei

#14 Post by Tobilei »

Sorry you're in pain :( I hope it eases up for you soon and the time goes quickly!

oldfart

#15 Post by oldfart »

Now since you have done this a few times before, do you think you will be more picky with your questions, and expectations? My third time also, and every topic my ortho mentions, I find myself going out there and reading every orthodontic journal that I can find on the topic. I want no surprises this time.

It may be a stretch, but you can probably throw away your old retainers now. (One week into being braced again myself, and found out that I still have my old ones. I don't think they would fit real well right now.)

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom