gunky trays after just 5 days

Discussions about treatment with invisible braces that use clear aligners, such as Invisalign, OrthoClear, the Red White and Blue system, etc.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smilingproud

gunky trays after just 5 days

#1 Post by smilingproud »

Hi all,

My trays have started smelling and getting gunky after just 5 days of treatment... I can't imagine what a week and a half from now will be like!

I've been brushing them with toothpaste (as per ortho's advice), and I have read that that makes them worse, so I suppose I should stop? But then what do you do about the white-film build-up? As many ortho's do say, mine has said no to brushing with baking soda and no to using a The cleaner that starts with the letter P that has been used in spam posts, so it's censored./retainer solution.

I've been soaking them in equal parts vinegar and water, which does seem to help, but very short term. Should I invest in something like retainer brite? Would a spoonful of hydrogen peroxide diluted in water be safe?

I realize everyone has different experiences... so just looking for a bit of a round-up on what people have found works.

Thanks in advance! :)

smilingproud

Re: gunky trays after just 5 days

#2 Post by smilingproud »

I know! It's strange... they said nothing but toothpaste and water, and were very clear about absolutely no denture/retainer cleaner.

I don't get it. I bought some retainer brite equivalent last night and it's done an OK job, not great though. But I think these trays just may be "damaged" (gunk/smell wise) from the toothpaste and brushing. I'll try something different with the next trays... it's all trial and error I suppose!

whiteswan

#3 Post by whiteswan »

Still brush them but don't use toothpaste...It is too abrasive, as you have already learned. If you can get an ultrasonic cleaner, I highly recommend it. Good luck with your next set!

turbocycle

#4 Post by turbocycle »

There's also the official Invisalign cleaning crystals. That's what I use.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

The gunky buildup is plaque and bacteria. Brushing with a toothbrush will not remove it well enough, which is why you're having problems. And brushing also puts microscopic scratches in your trays which will then promote more bacterial growth. Invisalign cleaning crystals are an expensive waste of money IMO. Retainer Brite, SonicBrite, or DentaSoak do the job just as well at half the price. Also you could use the Cleanse Freshen Go wipes during the day when you're not home.

Denture cleaner is not the same as Retainer Brite. It is not recommended for retainers, because over time it turns retainers yellow. Aligner trays are changed out, so you wouldn't see the problem developing. But it's best to use a cleaning product meant for the job. Denture tablets are meant to clean the stains off of dentures. They are not meant to clean aligners or retainers. Different materials, different purpose.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

xtina81

#6 Post by xtina81 »

When I am at home and take mine out to eat, I put them in a cup of water, it makes cleaning a lot easier. About every three days is when they seem to start smelling bad and I will soak them in denture cleaner for about 10 minutes. Other than that, whether in a cup of water or not, I just use a toothbrush and water to clean them before putting them back in my mouth every time.
I was also told not to let them dry with saliva on them, it makes them look cloudy, so if at all possible rinse them with water when you take them out of your mouth.
Finally, after 31 years...
20/27U 20/27L - 9 attachments on 7 teeth

http://www.xtina81.blogspot.com

ohioinvisguy

#7 Post by ohioinvisguy »

Invest in a sonic toothbrush and use it along with regular toothpaste daily to clean your aligners. I have been wearing Invisalign for almost three years and have only used this method to clean my aligners. No scratching, discoloration, damage of any kind has occurred to my aligners - period. I brush with a gel toothpaste that is made for sensitive teeth (hint :starts with an "S") and use what is left on my toothbrush head to clean my aligners. Contrary to what you will read here, IT DOES NOT SCRATCH YOUR ALIGNERS as long as you do not use an abrasive toothpaste (such as one that contains baking soda). I clean my aligners twice daily once in the morning and once in the evening. Again, I HAVE NEVER had any scratching! Do not waste your money on Retainer Brite. It may slightly remove some build up, but I've had a whole box for nearly three years that I will never use up because the product is ineffective IMO.

Also, in reply to bbsadmin's post about bacteria growth - your mouth is a breeding ground for bacteria! Aligners or no aligners! I specifically asked my Orthodontist and Dentist about whether or not I should be overly concerned about bacteria growth on my aligners considering my cleaning regimen. Both PROFESSIONALS told me as long as my oral care is up to par (brushing and flossing regularly which I do at least four times a day - after all meals and snacks) there is no need to be concerned. Bottom line, even in this forum its possible to find bad advice. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.
Check out my Invisalign Bog at http://invisalignadventure2010.blogspot.com/

TrayChic

#8 Post by TrayChic »

I was told that although in the pamphlet they provided it said to use toothpaste that under no circumstances should you since it's abrasive and scratches the aligners so instead use antibacterial soap which has worked well.

Interesting how people are told different things.

cocomi

#9 Post by cocomi »

my orthodontist told me to just use soap and water.. they said "think of it like tupperware" so i've just been washing it with a tiny bit of soap to get it squeaky clean.
i have tried brushing it, but it doesn't feel clean lol

bbsadmin

#10 Post by bbsadmin »

I just wrote a blog post on this very topic:

http://www.dentakit.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... eaner.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!